Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 6:53:30 AM EDT
Toying with the idea of getting a FFL,would be dealing almost solely in used guns and doing transfers for people,not stocking new guns at all.My plan is to be very small,to mainly do this to offset the slow times of our other work and because I quite like guns.

My first thought was to simply do it as a home based business,which in our county would be very easy as there is no zoning and I don't believe business licenses either.However my wife did point out that we would then have people having to come here to buy their guns,and we don't really like people.
Actually it would be more of an accessibility issue,we live on a poorly maintained private dirt road and have a 1/4 mile long driveway that requires 4wd in winter,and of course the problems of UPS dropping off packages.
So we are ruling that out for right now.

From what I have read,a FFL can buy a gun anywhere in the USA (as long as he has a copy of his FFL),from an individual or a store,correct?
It is only SELLING that must be done at your business location or a gun show.

Can the firearms be stored elsewhere,away from the business location?Reason for this is,we are thinking of renting an office space,it would be away from our home and most likely somewhat isolated.If the firearms must be stored at the business location it might change where we look for office space.

Can the business location be combined with another business?We have a small farm and are looking to start producing our own baked goods,jams and such to sell.An idea would be to use the same location for both.

SO this is the plan,to buy used guns from various sources,offer them for sale online and advertised locally,to have a office space business location that can also be used for other business purposes,and to make a little money.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
From what I have read,a FFL can buy a gun anywhere in the USA (as long as he has a copy of his FFL),from an individual or a store,correct?
Correct

It is only SELLING that must be done at your business location or a gun show.
Correct  (and by selling it means transferring firearms)

Can the firearms be stored elsewhere,away from the business location?
Yes, but you may be required to keep an additional set of bound books, one set at your premises, the other at the storage location, and have to note the acquisition and disposition from the storage site to and from your licensed premises.

Reason for this is,we are thinking of renting an office space,it would be away from our home and most likely somewhat isolated.If the firearms must be stored at the business location it might change where we look for office space.
The possibility of errors and omissions in your recordkeeping is increased if you have to keep two sets of books.

Can the business location be combined with another business?
Yes

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply,so far,so good.

It would be better to have everything at one location,but any commercial building out in the county would be isolated and I am a little concerned(probably overly concerned) about break ins.Although we had a gun store just down the road that was isolated.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Just be aware that your FFL becomes public info. ATF published an FFL list on their website.  Even if you don't post a sign outside your place or don't advertise, people will still know where you are. I'm sure you've seen the smart phone FFL finder apps.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That doesn't bother me too much about it being public knowledge...most of the criminals around here are too stupid to read.

Been looking for office space and have come to realise there is a good reason so many buildings are sitting empty in this area,people charge exorbitant amounts to lease property.

I appreciate the help and I am glad this forum is here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Something I just noticed when filling in the application was place of birth and country of citizenship,that will probably be fun.
Anyone else here foreign born or have other than US citizenship?
I was born in Australia of British parents and have US citizenship,meaning I have British,Australian and US citizenship.

Also we have a LLC right now for our farm business,should the FFL be put under that?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something I just noticed when filling in the application was place of birth and country of citizenship,that will probably be fun.
Anyone else here foreign born or have other than US citizenship?
I was born in Australia of British parents and have US citizenship,meaning I have British,Australian and US citizenship.

Also we have a LLC right now for our farm business,should the FFL be put under that?
View Quote

If you have US Citizenship then you are good to go. As for the LLC, that's a business decision you'll have to make (taxes, laibility, etc). Do you want the FFL associated with the farm business? You could always create a new LLC specifically for the FFL. That's a discussion for your accountant, attorney, etc.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah,EVERY time I buy a gun I get delayed,although it is much better than it used to be when it would take days,now it takes only ten or fifteen minutes.
But at least I can buy guns,better than I could in Australia.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Well we found a building to rent,nice easy to find location,should be easy to secure and is actually a nice building.
Guy is willing to work with me on rent until such time we get going.

Now just need to file my paperwork and start the process.

Appreciate all the help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]

I am filling in the paperwork online,going okay but I have a question.

Our county has no zoning,yet you are to indicate the type of business premises and how it is zoned.
On the form I put: zoned commercial  and that it was an office.
Will that cause any issues?

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I am filling in the paperwork online,going okay but I have a question.

Our county has no zoning,yet you are to indicate the type of business premises and how it is zoned.
On the form I put: zoned commercial  and that it was an office.
Will that cause any issues?

View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.
Okay,hopefully last questions.
The Certification of Compliance form,I am both the name under which it is filed and the person certifying to citizenship correct?
Also my country of citizenship is the USA(it is the passport I possess) but I am also a citizen of the UK and Australia(through birth and parents),should I put those as well?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks.
Okay,hopefully last questions.
The Certification of Compliance form,I am both the name under which it is filed and the person certifying to citizenship correct?
Also my country of citizenship is the USA(it is the passport I possess) but I am also a citizen of the UK and Australia(through birth and parents),should I put those as well?
View Quote

All "Responsible Persons" complete the CofC in their name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top