Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2014 10:32:14 AM EDT
A few days back a young man comes in wanting a pistol (Colt).. and then he starts looking in the case for some things..

So I have him fill out the 4473.. he gets approved..

I then ask him which firearm.. and he's back to wanting the darn Colt..

I found the Colt for him (on the laptop from another dealer) and HE ordered it to come into me for transfer.. (along with some Vz Grips)

So he left and will be back for the Colt when it gets here.. (Friday or Monday)

I have an empty Section D with no firearm in the blocks.. (says to fill out immediately prior to transfer)..

I was stressing.. so I called my local field office and the Sr. agent in charge said no worries just fill it in when it comes in and then make sure the buyer signs block 24 (recert sig block) and all will be fine as the NICS is good for 30 days.. and then sign the blocks with the date of transfer..

Anyone else have this happen?? I know I can't be the first..

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
They don't fill out a 4473 until they've paid for the gun they are purchasing.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#2]
April Fool was Tuesday.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
April Fool was Tuesday.
View Quote

Whats that mean??
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Whats that mean??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
April Fool was Tuesday.

Whats that mean??

He means you made enough errors on your sales and transfer processes that most dealers would think you were pulling our leg.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Usually a customer orders a firearm thru me.. pays in full.. then it comes in and I do the 4473 at that time.. (my 'normal' SOP)

If they don't pass NICS/E-NICS they have a 25% restock charge and/or agree (per receipt) that I consign it out for them.. when sold they get their refund that way.

This was a one off case of whoops on my part.. hence me calling the Sr. agent (on his cell no less after hours) because I had possibly errored in handling.

The other option is the customer orders whatever.. it comes in.. then they get the 4473 to fill out.. (aka normal transfer)..

Nope not an April fools joke.. could have been on me though.. it was 4/1 in the evening when this occurred..

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Usually a customer orders a firearm thru me.. pays in full.. then it comes in and I do the 4473 at that time.. (my 'normal' SOP)
View Quote

How can it be your 'normal' SOP, if it is your first customer as the title of this threads states?

TITLE:  "My 1st customer.. completes 4473 gets approved.. then wants to order a gun not stocked."
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How can it be your 'normal' SOP, if it is your first customer as the title of this threads states?

TITLE:  "My 1st customer.. completes 4473 gets approved.. then wants to order a gun not stocked."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my 1st customer.. my 1st customer that gets me jerked up..

I just edited the title.. sorry about that confusion..
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, this is a first I think. Sounds like lesson learned. I must ask. Are you an SOT as well and how long have you been in business?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#9]
License for 3 weeks.  

Not a SOT holder.

Def. a lesson learned.

Any constructive suggestions??
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
License for 3 weeks.  

Not a SOT holder.

Def. a lesson learned.

View Quote

Highly suggest you READ instructions on 4473 and CFR.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Just a possibility... But what if he filled out the 4473 now because he has a court case in a week where there is a good chance he will be found guilty of something?

Edit... Not an FFL holder. Just curious
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just a possibility... But what if he filled out the 4473 now because he has a court case in a week where there is a good chance he will be found guilty of something?

Edit... Not an FFL holder. Just curious
View Quote

Doesn't work that way.  Once you have been entered into the NCIC, i.e. booked, for something like a felony or domestic you're flagged.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Customer has to re-certify they are still in the same as when they initially filled it out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
License for 3 weeks.  

Not a SOT holder.

Def. a lesson learned.

The 4473 instructions say to fill in Section D immediately prior to transfer.. no gun no transfer..

Technically I am ok.. hence what the Sr. Agent told me as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
License for 3 weeks.  

Not a SOT holder.

Def. a lesson learned.

View Quote

Constructive, hmmmm.  Read the 4473 front to back.  I don't start the phone call or log into the system until everything is filled out except of course 21b, 21c, and 36.  Try and think of every possible messed up thing that may happen and have a policy to deal with that situation.  Be ready for the ass hats that want to just see if they'll pass.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#16]
If I walked into a gun store and the owner tried to get me to fill out a 4473 when I didn't just buy a gun I'd probably give him a blank stare and just leave.

Then on the way out I'd probably be sweating bullets trying to figure out what kind of ATF sting I just walked out of.

Yeah don't do that again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If I walked into a gun store and the owner tried to get me to fill out a 4473 when I didn't just buy a gun I'd probably give him a blank stare and just leave.

Then on the way out I'd probably be sweating bullets trying to figure out what kind of ATF sting I just walked out of.

View Quote

Customer walked in wanting the Colt (not stocked).. for which I tried to persuade him on getting something in stock.. so shame on me..

He was dead set on the $1000 Colt.. should have known..   he may have also been wanting to just test his BG.. I'll never know.

He passed the NICS.. then he decided he wanted to order the Colt.. which he did while in the shop.. so it wasn't a total test I guess..
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Customer walked in wanting the Colt (not stocked).. for which I tried to persuade him on getting something in stock.. so shame on me..

He was dead set on the $1000 Colt.. should have known..   he may have also been wanting to just test his BG.. I'll never know.

He passed the NICS.. then he decided he wanted to order the Colt.. which he did while in the shop.. so it wasn't a total test I guess..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he pay for it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did he pay for it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he pay for it?

He ended up ordering the Colt from the other dealers website on my laptop. He did not pay me for it.

I will be doing the transfer when it comes in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He ended up ordering the Colt from the other dealers website on my laptop. He did not pay me for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he pay for it?

I must ask..........did you kill your own sale?
How did the customer know about the other gun?
Why in the hell would you let him order from someone else?

Odd post gets odder.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#21]
He saw the Colt model he wanted from a another GA post or something last month..

Asked me to look it up.. the pricing was like $1039..

Then we talked about what I had in the cabinet..

Then he did the NICS

Then he decided to buy the Colt from other retailer for $1039..

Dealer cost was $949 on it, but out of stock at my 5 distributors.

I still get $40 transfer so I'm ok with that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:52:42 AM EDT
[#22]
...and why did the customer fill out the 4473, or you do the NICS check, without you having the gun in hand?  Granted, I'm not an FFL, but that's what I always thought was the process.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He saw the Colt model he wanted from a another GA post or something last month..

Then he did the NICS

View Quote

OP

$40 transfer?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#24]
When the nearest FFL is 110 miles away.. $40 is right.. $35 is LEO/BP

ETA: this is a store front and I have bills..

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP

$40 transfer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then he did the NICS

OP

$40 transfer?

$40 is not really all that bad. A lot of shops are going the way of percentage of the value if they carry the gun or can order it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$40 is not really all that bad. A lot of shops are going the way of percentage of the value if they carry the gun or can order it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then he did the NICS

OP

$40 transfer?

Are you in Texas? If so, you would know that $40 is pretty high.
$40 is twice what I charge for non CHL holders..
Shops that "going the way of percentage of the value" wind up not doing transfers at all. Low or reasonable transfer fees= more business.

Which is why I do 2000+ transfers a year.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm just a customer, but I've never had any dealer hand me a 4473 BEFORE I've made a decision to purchase a particular gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They don't fill out a 4473 until they've paid for the gun they are purchasing.

Problem solved.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Local dealer.  You agree to a purchase.  You fill out the form.  He does the back ground.  Then walks you to the front to pay.  They sell 1000s of firearms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are you in Texas? If so, you would know that $40 is pretty high.
$40 is twice what I charge for non CHL holders..
Shops that "going the way of percentage of the value" wind up not doing transfers at all. Low or reasonable transfer fees= more business.

Which is why I do 2000+ transfers a year.
View Quote

I have only 9-11 guns in inventory (we just opened).. and the next shop is 100+ miles away.. they charge $25.. so really $40 and $35 for LEO is decent IMO.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm just a customer, but I've never had any dealer hand me a 4473 BEFORE I've made a decision to purchase a particular gun.
View Quote

+1 on this. The customer souldn't get the 4473 until they have decided on a gun. Treat the 4473 as relating to the gun you are selling, not the person. Don't fill it out and especially don't call it in until you know that he is buying a gun that day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#32]
In my opinion you should not call in a 4473 without having in your possession the firearm/s that will be transferred.

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#33]
OK, I get that you're new and haven't sold many guns, but have you ever purchased any?  Seriously, I've never done a 4473 before deciding on a gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top