User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...... does the PD/Sheriff's office that my FFL's address is in have to the finger printing? I ask because my mom works for the Sheriff's office back home and I can walk straight in and get my prints taken with no wait or appointment and I'll be home this weekend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...... does the PD/Sheriff's office that my FFL's address is in have to the finger printing? I ask because my mom works for the Sheriff's office back home and I can walk straight in and get my prints taken with no wait or appointment and I'll be home this weekend.

Any LE  agency is fine, just be sure you use the ATF fingerprint cards.

Has anyone heard of an instance where a CLEO said no after receiving a copy of a form 7? Or are you just giving them a heads up,and they have no say in the matter?  

It's notification, not permission.
Stick a Post It note with "For Files Only" on the CLEO copy and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 1:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Alright, I tried to find the ATF fingerprint cards on their website and the only link I could find took me to a .pdf of a sample card with SAMPLE written in big bold red letters across it. Where do I find the cards to print out? Or do I have to send out for one?

Quoted:
Stick a Post It note with "For Files Only" on the CLEO copy and you are good to go.

Thanks for the heads up on the post it note.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.atf.gov/content/distribution-center-order-form

Then use the drop down menu
When you order the application (Form 7) they include two cards.......get extras. My local Sheriffs office messed up three, The last one printed fine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.atf.gov/content/distribution-center-order-form

Then use the drop down menu
When you order the application (Form 7) they include two cards.......get extras. My local Sheriffs office messed up three, The last one printed fine.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to incorporate? Or just be a sole proprietor?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to incorporate? Or just be a sole proprietor?
View Quote

This is a question for your tax attorney and CPA.  My husband and I formed an LLC with both of us on it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

As others have said, it depends on your personal tax situation and how much you worry about liability. Mine is listed under a proprietorship DBA I already had.

Getting an FFL is really a no-brainer. Much easier than I was led to believe. If you're good on the background check and don't have and zoning problems there's nothing to it. Fill some forms out, cut a check, and wait. Even the interview I found to be painless.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As others have said, it depends on your personal tax situation and how much you worry about liability. Mine is listed under a proprietorship DBA I already had.

Getting an FFL is really a no-brainer. Much easier than I was led to believe. If you're good on the background check and don't have and zoning problems there's nothing to it. Fill some forms out, cut a check, and wait. Even the interview I found to be painless.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's reassuring to hear. I'm headed down to the town hall tomorrow afternoon to make sure I'm all good with zoning. Although, since I will conduct the majority of my business online, I wonder if zoning is even an issue? I  guess I'll find out tomorrow.

And I've heard that the interview is the hardest part of the process
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is a Shall Issue license, not a job interview. Unless you go out of your way to say something stupid, the interview is a formality.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's reassuring to hear. I'm headed down to the town hall tomorrow afternoon to make sure I'm all good with zoning. Although, since I will conduct the majority of my business online, I wonder if zoning is even an issue? I  guess I'll find out tomorrow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that most of the problems people run into are zoning related so I took care of that up front. I'm zoned agricultural but many people run small businesses under the same zoning. I got a letter from the county zoning office stating I was good to go and included it with my application. When the inspector called to set up my interview she asked about zoning. I pointed her to the letter I sent and that was that.

And as RenegadeX stated, it's a shall issue license. They need a legitimate reason to refuse you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I read that most of the problems people run into are zoning related so I took care of that up front. I'm zoned agricultural but many people run small businesses under the same zoning. I got a letter from the county zoning office stating I was good to go and included it with my application. When the inspector called to set up my interview she asked about zoning. I pointed her to the letter I sent and that was that.

And as RenegadeX stated, it's a shall issue license. They need a legitimate reason to refuse you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got off the phone with the lady that's in charge of zoning at town hall. She sent me the application for a home business for our town and assured me it was just a formality and I would most likely be approved. When I get the approval should I attach a copy with my paperwork when I send it into the ATF?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Whoever told you that didn't have his ducks in a row to begin with.
The "interview" isn't ATF asking you questions...........it's YOUR opportunity to ask ATF questions.
The IOI will go over the forms you use (4473, multiple sale, etc) and make sure you understand where you can conduct business. He'll have a little checklist that he'll mark as he covers everything on the list....you'll sign and get a copy.

When I get the approval should I attach a copy with my paperwork when I send it into the ATF?

No, it not part of your application.
Once the FFLC has processed your application they send it to the field office nearest you. They'll have an Industry Operations Investigator (IOI) contact you for the interview. He will check on your zoning before the interview.....if you cannot operate a business there, he won't bother with the checklist. Having copies of sales tax certificates, business permits, etc for the IOI is helpful.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The "interview" isn't ATF asking you questions...........it's YOUR opportunity to ask ATF questions.
The IOI will go over the forms you use (4473, multiple sale, etc) and make sure you understand where you can conduct business. He'll have a little checklist that he'll mark as he covers everything on the list....you'll sign and get a copy.

Once the FFLC has processed your application they send it to the field office nearest you. They'll have an Industry Operations Investigator (IOI) contact you for the interview. He will check on your zoning before the interview.....if you cannot operate a business there, he won't bother with the checklist. Having copies of sales tax certificates, business permits, etc for the IOI is helpful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I get the approval should I attach a copy with my paperwork when I send it into the ATF?

Damn, If I would've known how easy everything was with this process, I would've gotten my FFL years ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm just full of questions.

Can I use my FFL to purchase personal firearms? If so, how would I transfer it to myself? A 4473?
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm just full of questions.

Can I use my FFL to purchase personal firearms? If so, how would I transfer it to myself? A 4473?
View Quote

It depends on how your business is structured. if the FFL is issued to a:
Sole proprietor- no 4473 required, but you must tag it as "personal collection not for sale" or store it in a different place than "business" guns.
Corporation- 4473/NICS required.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
This forum is an endless pit of knowledge haha
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, and I had the preconceived notion that the FFL process was going to be difficult because of the paperwork and interviews. Turns out dealing with your local gov't is the hard part.

I spend the afternoon going from town hall, to the planning and zoning office, to town hall, to the local PD, and back to town hall. But, with all the running around, I got my application for home occupation and I got the business permit application. My town told me I couldn't apply for the business license until I got my FFL, so it looks like I'm a stand still on that aspect, but the application for home occupation should be approved within the next couple of days.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have an official letter from my property management company for when the IOI comes for the interview? Or will they contact them since I have to put their info on the form 7?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you think it would be a good idea to have an official letter from my property management company for when the IOI comes for the interview? Or will they contact them since I have to put their info on the form 7?
View Quote

It can't hurt.  Just be sure they know you'll be dealing guns and not just running a generic "home-based business" before proceeding.  Either way the IOI will verify that they're ok with it.

Also homeowners/renters insurance doesn't cover business activities so plan on getting a separate policy.  Lockton has decent rates for dealers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It can't hurt.  Just be sure they know you'll be dealing guns and not just running a generic "home-based business" before proceeding.  Either way the IOI will verify that they're ok with it.

Also homeowners/renters insurance doesn't cover business activities so plan on getting a separate policy.  Lockton has decent rates for dealers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My family has homeowners, renters, life, and car insurance through USAA. I have to call them today to add a couple more guns to my policy, so I'll talk to them about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got off the phone with USAA, and none of their insurance partners will insure a firearms business. In fact, they won't even insure a sporting goods store than sells firearms. Anyone have any advice on who to call to get a quote?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#24]
The NRA uses Lockton Affinity and also makes you an NRA Business Alliance Member as well..

Costs like $1500/year to cover $10K in firearms.. also $1M liability and ATF defense costs upto $50K..

You will need an alarm that dials your local LEO 1st.. then it can call you next..

YMMV..
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The NRA uses Lockton Affinity and also makes you an NRA Business Alliance Member as well..

Costs like $1500/year to cover $10K in firearms.. also $1M liability and ATF defense costs upto $50K..

You will need an alarm that dials your local LEO 1st.. then it can call you next..

YMMV..
View Quote

I'll call them tomorrow afternoon and get a quote from them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

SOT has jack-all to do with ITAR, they are unrelated.  If you have a Type 06, 07, or 10 FFL plan on paying ITAR.

I am an 07/C2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I've gathered in the past few days, you only have to pay the ITAR if you are a Class 01/02 SOT. If you are class 03 SOT or regular 07FFL, you don't pay ITAR.

Please post where you read that because whoever said it is completely wrong.  Whether or not you've paid the SOT has nothing to do with whether an FFL needs to pay ITAR.  ITAR is assessed on Type 06, 07, and 10 FFL's.  All that paying the SOT does is permit tax-free transfers of Title II firearms between FFL/SOT's.

Well, 2 members from this forums and 2 more FFL holders.

You didn't mention Class 01/02 SOT. Do they pay ITAR too or not?

SOT has jack-all to do with ITAR, they are unrelated.  If you have a Type 06, 07, or 10 FFL plan on paying ITAR.

I am an 07/C2.

I don't think enough people understand this. The Class 2 SOT just allows you to manufacture NFA Title II weapons. In order to do so, you must already have a Type 07 FFL, which allows you to manufacture firearms. Since the manufacture of firearms is covered under ITAR, it's the issuance of a Type 07 FFL that triggers the necessity of paying the ITAR fee, not being allowed to build Title II firearms in addition to Title I firearms.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think enough people understand this. The Class 2 SOT just allows you to manufacture NFA Title II weapons. In order to do so, you must already have a Type 07 FFL, which allows you to manufacture firearms. Since the manufacture of firearms is covered under ITAR, it's the issuance of a Type 07 FFL that triggers the necessity of paying the ITAR fee, not being allowed to build Title II firearms in addition to Title I firearms.
View Quote

It is a bit confusing to a newcomer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
A heads up for anyone that cares, I'm completing my application for LLC tomorrow afternoon and as soon as it's approved, I'll be sending out my form 7. Getting my fingerprints taken on Friday, so if all goes smooth, I'll be sending out my form 7 will be in the mail next Monday.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Another question, about how long after you submitted your form 7 were you contacted for an interview?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Last questions (hopefully). As a dealer I cannot manufacture or assemble rifles for sale, but can I use my FFL to purchase the parts and build a rifle for myself?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Last questions (hopefully). As a dealer I cannot manufacture or assemble rifles for sale, but can I use my FFL to purchase the parts and build a rifle for myself?
View Quote

If you're an LLC then you will have to do a 4473, NICS on yourself.  Then build away.  But, if you start building shit and selling it regularly be ready to be bent over.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you're an LLC then you will have to do a 4473, NICS on yourself.  Then build away.  But, if you start building shit and selling it regularly be ready to be bent over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not gonna be selling them, I just want an SBR or two or three
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Good luck!
I've been following this, never imagined Boone would let this happen

Let me know when you get setup, your about 1/2 hr from me (wife also works in Boone for the last 12 years)  

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/turtlemechanic/occasion14_zps933ea4df.gif

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you build SBR's for yourself you'll pay the $200 tax like everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, but I just set up my LLC and am going to get all my personal tax stamps with it.

Quoted:
Good luck!
I've been following this, never imagined Boone would let this happen

Let me know when you get setup, your about 1/2 hr from me (wife also works in Boone for the last 12 years)  

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u182/turtlemechanic/occasion14_zps933ea4df.gif

Well, it's not final yet, but when I went and talked to the Captain at the Police Station he was super helpful and told me if the ATF needed anything from them, have them call him directly and he'd do whatever he could to help out. Awesome guy.

The only thing left is my business permit, which could be denied, which would suck balls.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]
I checked with my county licensing department prior to doing everything else to be sure it would be approved.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I checked with my county licensing department prior to doing everything else to be sure it would be approved.
View Quote

I checked with the planning and zoning, the county finance office, the PD, and my management company, and they all gave me the go ahead. Gotta put in another call to the Planning and Zoning office tomorrow just to be sure, but everything looks to be good to go.

Took longer than expected, but I filed for my LLC yesterday. I got my fingerprint cards done two weeks ago, so as soon as my LLC paperwork comes in next week, I'm sending out my Form 7.

Again, thanks for all of the help, guys!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I checked with the planning and zoning, the county finance office, the PD, and my management company, and they all gave me the go ahead. Gotta put in another call to the Planning and Zoning office tomorrow just to be sure, but everything looks to be good to go.

Took longer than expected, but I filed for my LLC yesterday. I got my fingerprint cards done two weeks ago, so as soon as my LLC paperwork comes in next week, I'm sending out my Form 7.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have received an affidavit from planning and zoning.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She told me they were a few weeks behind on everything and to wait a little bit before I called. I filled out a home occupancy permit. She said I was good to go, but it'd take a while before she could get to mine. If worse comes to worse, I can just have a sit down meeting with the lady and explain the details of what I plan on doing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Just remember if the address on your FFL is the house address, that gives the ATF permission to "inspect" your home as well.

Solution: Call your local Post Office, tell them you need an address for your shop (garage). They can do it over the phone or in person. This will limit inspections to your licensed business address.
I'm an 07/02, just went through an inspection Friday. All my visits have been friendly and relaxed, just keep your records up to date and if you have any personal firearms in your business vault tag them as personal. The JBT only come if you are doing bad things.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just remember if the address on your FFL is the house address, that gives the ATF permission to "inspect" your home as well.....
View Quote

No, it doesn't. Where do you get such nonsense?
If it is clear that the licensee will use only a particular room, garage, storage building or cardboard box in the back yard as the place he will conduct "business", then the IOI will simply note it during the interview. In my interview the IOI made a point to ask EXACTLY which rooms/areas would be used.......all he wanted to know was where my guns and records would be stored.

An ATF compliance inspection does not give them permission to inspect anything other than the licensees 4473's, multiple sale forms, inventory and bound book...........any other "search" would require a search warrant based on probable cause and signed by a judge.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top