BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Park-Hit-Run:
Has anyone asked or answered this - are there any reports of issues rifles cracking?  Between Austria / Australia / etc in the GWOT until now you’d think this issue, if it exists on their rifles, would have shown itself many times over. The average issued rifle especially for training new young conscripts has got to be tens if not 100+ thousand rounds. Are the two made on different tooling?  US vs Austrian tooling?  Sorry if these are dumb questions but with the production numbers of these rifles and variants there should only be a small handful of possible reasons why they are cracking.

Will Styer send me 10,000 rounds of xm193 or m855 to put through my rifle to see if it’s one of the bad ones?  I didn’t think so. We need and DEMAND to understand why this is happening and there needs to be a recall and replacement of the affected firearms or their reputation is officially compromised in my opinion.
View Quote

They explained it to me - material change.
They are ALL compromised as far as im concerned.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone asked or answered this - are there any reports of issues rifles cracking?  Between Austria / Australia / etc in the GWOT until now you’d think this issue, if it exists on their rifles, would have shown itself many times over. The average issued rifle especially for training new young conscripts has got to be tens if not 100+ thousand rounds. Are the two made on different tooling?  US vs Austrian tooling?  Sorry if these are dumb questions but with the production numbers of these rifles and variants there should only be a small handful of possible reasons why they are cracking.

Will Styer send me 10,000 rounds of xm193 or m855 to put through my rifle to see if it’s one of the bad ones?  I didn’t think so. We need and DEMAND to understand why this is happening and there needs to be a recall and replacement of the affected firearms or their reputation is officially compromised in my opinion.
View Quote

It's very likely that the plastic formulation for the stocks is specifically detailed in the TDP or whatever they call it in Austria, just like barrel material, trigger pull weight etc. So changing the formula "because covid" probably wouldn't cut it. It's also probably that they had a lot of stocks in storage as a consumable replacement and they/we may not hear about any problems, at least for a while if they ever talk about it, which I doubt.

In my time in the Army (US) I've seen a few stocks and especially handguards break, especially in the old A1 rifles. But I dont think anyone would have assumed there was a flaw or defect in material. We abused the shit out of them and sometimes they broke. If the AUGs stock breaking was common, I think we would have heard of something by now, even if anecdotally from the military.

So either the military stocks are made totally different (material and or the molds) OR the occasional stocks breaking were not beyond the regular rate.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Similar situation happened with CZ.
The Scorpion Evo has been available for mil and EU market since 2011..
Then in 2015ish when it was released in the US people started noticing cracked feedlips on their translucent mags…
CZ in Europe never admitted there was an issue and clearly told me theyve never heard of the issue before in my emails but at the same time they were replacing mags for free.
Then in 2018/2019 they developed a completely new Gen2 mag
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:

It's very likely that the plastic formulation for the stocks is specifically detailed in the TDP or whatever they call it in Austria, just like barrel material, trigger pull weight etc. So changing the formula "because covid" probably wouldn't cut it. It's also probably that they had a lot of stocks in storage as a consumable replacement and they/we may not hear about any problems, at least for a while if they ever talk about it, which I doubt.

In my time in the Army (US) I've seen a few stocks and especially handguards break, especially in the old A1 rifles. But I dont think anyone would have assumed there was a flaw or defect in material. We abused the shit out of them and sometimes they broke. If the AUGs stock breaking was common, I think we would have heard of something by now, even if anecdotally from the military.

So either the military stocks are made totally different (material and or the molds) OR the occasional stocks breaking were not beyond the regular rate.

View Quote

Aug stock is really a lower receiver. Much more critical and much more beefy
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

Aug stock is really a lower receiver. Much more critical and much more beefy
View Quote

Yeah, I agree. It's basically like the whole lower receiver with stock, grip, trigger group etc in an AR. It also seems like the only thing likely to break on an AUG. Like the stock/pistol grip/handguard on an AR which armorers always had on hand as replacements. Not sure how the Austrian Mil. treated the stock...unit level replacement or depot level. The things are so modular, I'd have a bunch of extra stocks on hand just in case.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top