Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2017 9:28:30 PM EDT
So I have a MSAR STG556 E4 that's been sitting in the safe for a few years. I like how it shoots, and loved it in a vehicle tactics class due to the short length, but I'm not wild about having a wapon that's no longer supported. I'm playing around with the idea of selling it for money towards a Tavor or a Kel-Tec RDB. Is there any real market for the MSAR nowadays? Should I keep it to fondle while i watch Diehard every Christmas?

Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell it and buy a real Steyr AUG... The X-95 isn't too bad looking either.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one of the stg ones that used AUG style mags. I had no issues with it but I sold it because of the lack of support when MSAR first started their "we are going bankrupt... Just kidding!.... but no really we are bankrupt." Dance. It just seemed to me too much money to have wrapped up into a gun that if it did crap itself I would then need to hope for a canabilzed ones parts of unknown quality since MSAR was so hit or miss or just throw it away. So I sold it and only lost a couple hundred on the deal.

I'd probably sell it and put that towards a authentic AUG if that's what you really want or just add the funds to the fun money pool for whatever.

That said if you are comfortable with its lack of support keep it. We all have slightly different risk vs rewards criteria on the keep versus dump equation.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
If it works, I'd keep it.  You may not get that much selling it because 1) as you said, there is no support, and 2) a number of early ones had problems so buyers may be wary of getting someone else's problem.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell it and buy a real Steyr AUG.
View Quote
Sell it.  At least now the majority have no idea that it is a POS & think it's an AUG.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately they doesn't seem to go for much nowadays, real Steyr AUG are easily found in the 1300.00 range and I've seen people trying to sell MSARs somewhat locally for 1000.00 with no takers.

I'd throw it up for trade on the EE and see what you might get.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a nice used Steyr AUG that has the features you want for $1300 to $1500. I have seen a few go for less.

I would wait on selling the MSAR. Almost everything is down now which is bad for the seller.  MSAR isn't going to be a strong seller to anyone that knows about them anyway. Wait until the next scare if you want to maximize your sales dollar. Might be a few years though.

I have a couple of rifles (not bullpups) that I am in the same boat with regards to support. Big name company decides to move on to something else and leaves past customers to hang. I will wait until I can at least break even.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Pull the receiver assembly and barrel, and sell it separately.  Then buy an actual Steyr AUG and put the receiver and barrel in the E4 stock.  You'll have the same size weapon that's now supported, more reliable, higher quality, and it will take AR mags with a bolt release unlike the Steyr NATO stock.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure who would buy it or how much you would actually  get. Maybe find a guy who already has one and try to sell it to him as a parts gun? I don't see anyone in the know paying more than $800 for it. Good luck
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
If you like it, keep it forever.

But otherwise, sell it for whatever you can get for it, and put money towards a Tavor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top