Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 4:11:27 PM EDT
I've been wanting to put on a competition muzzle brake and competition rail grip.

Recently, I found out about the cqc rail option by PJs and the ratworx thread adapter.

To folks who have the setup, how heavy is the cqc rail and the ratworx thread adapter?

I can't find that information on any of their websites.

The two attachments sit pretty far on the front end of the gun..

It looks great but I would think it is severely unbalanced: front heavy.

My wild guess says with an optic it will weigh well over 11 pounds.

I got money saved up for Atrax but I'm blindedly waiting so if the above option is feasible, Id just go with it.

I'm trying to use it in 3 gun matches so weight is a significant factor.

Let me know..
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The CQC is a pig compared to just a pin on short rail for a grip and bipod (in place of the folding grip)

The AUG bipod and rail is very light, but VEEEEEERRYYYY EXPENSIVE.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a CQC and some extra CQC kits. Was going to install a kit on an A3 I just picked up to have two CQC AUG's. Why two? Because I really really really like the CQC and two is better than one.

It's heavy. No way around it, it's a pig, but the added weight changes the perceived recoil and muzzle rise. It's a great gun but might not be what you want if you're running around with it.

I could weigh the difference between a 23 slot A3 rail and a full CQC kit, but the CQC was intended to have an 18" bbl. If you've read on the CQC THEN YOU know that 18" barrels weren't made until well after the guns were sold, necessitating the use of 16" bbls and extended flash hiders. Therefore unless you have an 18" bbl, the ratworx adapter won't do you any good...

I also used to have a couple ratworx thread adapters, but they're long gone. I remember them to be a bit heavy for what they were.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The AUG bipod and rail is very light, but VEEEEEERRYYYY EXPENSIVE.
View Quote
Expensive but oh so nice. The bipod is a work of art.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You will not be competitive shooting 3 gun matches with an AUG....

Mick
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It would be fun though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely would be fun. The AUG was competitive back in the 90's during the SOF matches due to the integrated optic and 42 rd mags, but the AR platform has been developed considerably over the last 20 years with better triggers, speed and accuracy.

Mick
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a CQC and some extra CQC kits. Was going to install a kit on an A3 I just picked up to have two CQC AUG's. Why two? Because I really really really like the CQC and two is better than one.

It's heavy. No way around it, it's a pig, but the added weight changes the perceived recoil and muzzle rise. It's a great gun but might not be what you want if you're running around with it.

I could weigh the difference between a 23 slot A3 rail and a full CQC kit, but the CQC was intended to have an 18" bbl. If you've read on the CQC THEN YOU know that 18" barrels weren't made until well after the guns were sold, necessitating the use of 16" bbls and extended flash hiders. Therefore unless you have an 18" bbl, the ratworx adapter won't do you any good...

I also used to have a couple ratworx thread adapters, but they're long gone. I remember them to be a bit heavy for what they were.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh you know I got the best inch barrel for mine, no worries. The ratworx adapter is chromoly steel, stupid heavy... I only need the CQC hand guard for gripping so maybe I could try 3D print out a replica in plastic

Mick
Why not? Only disadvantage I see is the weight and that's what I'm trying to solve. I think it's very possible with the weight cut.
Also, there is a market for AUG trigger so that can be set aside too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mick
View Quote
Not at a high level but at small local matches I've used mine without issues and done pretty well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mick
View Quote
I routinely place in the top 5 of mid-sized 3-gun matches (35-60 shooters) with a AUG, and that's because I suck at reloading shotguns.
The AUG has never slowed me down at all.
Depending on the stage I find the maneuverability of the AUG to be an advantage getting into and out of some tight shooting positions.
Anyone who competes knows that you make up the most time on the move, setups and getting into and out of positions not on pure shooting speed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never done any of the gun game stuff. But it seems like it would be fun.

I'd certainly use one of my AUGs. It would probably blow people's minds to see someone running around with one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah mick, stay open minded.

AR advanced so much due to its availability.

AUG is accurate, relatively lightweight, and compact.
There is no reason to conclude that it cant be used in competitive settings.

After all its only been 5 years since it became readily available.

And you deserve to hear this, "it's the shooter, not the gun."
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always found that setup beautiful. I handled one briefly at a bullpup shoot a few years ago and that ended the love of the cqc. It makes the AUG heavy and changes the balance from neutral to front heavy. Still a good looking rifle but you are talking g3 style weight for a small 5.56 if you actually added stuff to all that rail real estate you might hit slick unloaded LMG weight. If I had Maleante money I'd have a few to play with and occasionally oogle. But I don't so its the model I will avoid one of these days when I add a AUG to the stable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've always found that setup beautiful. I handled one briefly at a bullpup shoot a few years ago and that ended the love of the cqc. It makes the AUG heavy and changes the balance from neutral to front heavy. Still a good looking rifle but you are talking g3 style weight for a small 5.56 if you actually added stuff to all that rail real estate you might hit slick unloaded LMG weight. If I had Malenate money I'd have a few to play with and occasionally oogle. But I don't so its the model I will avoid one of these days when I add a AUG to the stable.
View Quote
Just what I wanted to hear. Yes, it looks fantastic and hollywoody but totally impractical for cqc, irony.

I've decided to make my own attachment. It will be a year long process but will share once it's complete. My idea is amazing so everyone will without a doubt love it
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you'd be better off getting a custom brake made up or even (ugh) rethreading the barrel, but I have a somewhat irrational dislike of adapters.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think you'd be better off getting a custom brake made up or even (ugh) rethreading the barrel, but I have a somewhat irrational dislike of adapters.
View Quote
Cant agree more. I thought thrice and I said no every time. It's heavy and awkward and so defeats the purpose of bullpup
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a thing to think about with brakes. You might want to try it on the rifle in various environments before you get your heart set on it. Augs barely kick as is I know when I had a MSAR my buddies wives liked to shoot it over most ARs because the balance not being nose heavy and fighting leverage was nice for them and it kicked less.

Besides that I have a 2a armament TI break on one of my ARs. Those things are works of art very well machined I never had a problem with it even at indoor ranges. I put a plain steel one on my x95. Normally on indoor ranges I double up on hearing pro so I didn't notice anything there except the bottom vents literally blowing holes in the cheap free NRA duffel bag I used as a impromptu rest full of ammo and mags. But when I went to cola warrior east and fired it outdoors in the woods with just plugs in it was EXTREMELY unpleasant. The side blast was bouncing off the trees and hurting my ears and the two guys watching that stage were very vocal about how much it was bothering them too. So I went back to a a2 flash hider which is in the process of getting pinned and welded so I can run the slim butt pad. Unfortunately its taking forever because a buddy is doing it so hes taking his time. It may be a bit slower on follow ups now but the quality of life should I have to use it indoors or in the woods with ear plugs or no ear pro is worth the small increase in muzzle rise. Plus I don't want to be a dick and bath any range officers in side blast if I use it for more competitions in the future.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just a thing to think about with brakes. You might want to try it on the rifle in various environments before you get your heart set on it. Augs barely kick as is I know when I had a MSAR my buddies wives liked to shoot it over most ARs because the balance not being nose heavy and fighting leverage was nice for them and it kicked less.

Besides that I have a 2a armament TI break on one of my ARs. Those things are works of art very well machined I never had a problem with it even at indoor ranges. I put a plain steel one on my x95. Normally on indoor ranges I double up on hearing pro so I didn't notice anything there except the bottom vents literally blowing holes in the cheap free NRA duffel bag I used as a impromptu rest full of ammo and mags. But when I went to cola warrior east and fired it outdoors in the woods with just plugs in it was EXTREMELY unpleasant. The side blast was bouncing off the trees and hurting my ears and the two guys watching that stage were very vocal about how much it was bothering them too. So I went back to a a2 flash hider which is in the process of getting pinned and welded so I can run the slim butt pad. Unfortunately its taking forever because a buddy is doing it so hes taking his time. It may be a bit slower on follow ups now but the quality of life should I have to use it indoors or in the woods with ear plugs or no ear pro is worth the small increase in muzzle rise. Plus I don't want to be a dick and bath any range officers in side blast if I use it for more competitions in the future.
View Quote
The muzzle compensators reduce not just recoil but muzzle flip. I don't know if you own one but my AUG much like AR produces muzzle flips. AUGs barely kick because it shoots 556. In competitions this becomes a very big factor when you are trying to make accurate follow up shots. Have you done any 3 gun in the past? Hitting each shot in the A zone with a good comp makes a big difference. If I were to just plink around and do mag dumps at a junk yard, sure I dont need a muzzle device but Im doing this for competition...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The muzzle compensators reduce not just recoil but muzzle flip. I don't know if you own one but my AUG much like AR produces muzzle flips. AUGs barely kick because it shoots 556. In competitions this becomes a very big factor when you are trying to make accurate follow up shots. Have you done any 3 gun in the past? Hitting each shot in the A zone with a good comp makes a big difference. If I were to just plink around and do mag dumps at a junk yard, sure I dont need a muzzle device but Im doing this for competition...
View Quote
If it's just a three gun comp rifle that makes sense. I no longer own the MSAR I do remember the muzzle rise being less than comparable ars though but that could just be me as recoil is pretty subjective.

I've only done one three gun and that was the one at the bullpup shoot in KY years ago before there was bad blood and they split into competing events in KY and IL. I borrowed a stock idf style tavor and loaner guns on the stages and I think I got 3rd or 4th or something I got a free target and some stuff. So I don't have much competition shooting experience plus that was a year or 2 after I got out of the army and the year After police academy so I was at my prime perishable skill wise and was able to double tap fine with the tavor which has more muzzle rise because of the beefy carrier in my opinion. Only other one was Cola Warrior East last year and that was 2 gun. So I'm sure you have more experience with competitions than I do. VA is kind of a dead zone for shooting ranges and competitions sadly.

Basically a long way of saying I don't think they are necessary for that but I'm not a subject matter expert in that field so if you think they are I'll take you at your word. Also make sure you post pics of your fore end project when you're done I'm curious to see what you come up with.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If it's just a three gun comp rifle that makes sense. I no longer own the MSAR I do remember the muzzle rise being less than comparable ars though but that could just be me as recoil is pretty subjective.

I've only done one three gun and that was the one at the bullpup shoot in KY years ago before there was bad blood and they split into competing events in KY and IL. I borrowed a stock idf style tavor and loaner guns on the stages and I think I got 3rd or 4th or something I got a free target and some stuff. So I don't have much competition shooting experience plus that was a year or 2 after I got out of the army and the year After police academy so I was at my prime perishable skill wise and was able to double tap fine with the tavor which has more muzzle rise because of the beefy carrier in my opinion. Only other one was Cola Warrior East last year and that was 2 gun. So I'm sure you have more experience with competitions than I do. VA is kind of a dead zone for shooting ranges and competitions sadly.

Basically a long way of saying I don't think they are necessary for that but I'm not a subject matter expert in that field so if you think they are I'll take you at your word. Also make sure you post pics of your fore end project when you're done I'm curious to see what you come up with.
View Quote
I would like you to have a look at some of the AR15 compensators and how they are literally eliminating all muzzle movement.
Here is a link to a video test on ar muzzle brakes. It makes a world of difference.

And yes, I am super into this right now. The end project will definitely take a while and I can't wait to share it when done.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I would like you to have a look at some of the AR15 compensators and how they are literally eliminating all muzzle movement.
Here is a link to a video test on ar muzzle brakes. It makes a world of difference.

And yes, I am super into this right now. The end project will definitely take a while and I can't wait to share it when done.
View Quote
I'm on my phone at work 12 hour shift.  No link is showing might be a apple thing or you didn't put it in right.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
didn't put it in right.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm on my phone at work 12 hour shift.  No link is showing might be a apple thing or you didn't put it in right.
View Quote
My mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQdUQSHcxLk

This isn't me but the youtuber did an amazing and comprehensive testing of virtually all comps out on the market for AR.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQdUQSHcxLk

This isn't me but the youtuber did an amazing and comprehensive testing of virtually all comps out on the market for AR.

Enjoy
View Quote
I remember reading his article and charts on flash hiders once he does a good job. While he was just measuring horizontal axis recoil. I think some of the muzzle rise is human physiology and how we hold rifles vs how a rest does. So I can see how on a competition rifle between two people of equal skill how the small time savings one could get from a comp for rapid fire stages could make a difference in ones final score.

Maybe make a thread like lazy engineers AUG log on your using on in various matches I think it would be a interesting read if you end up using it in a lot of them since like all guns AUG's and all bullpups have their limitations and learning them is how one thinks of workarounds to minimize them while maximizing the things they excel at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top