Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2017 7:44:07 AM EDT
I recently purchased an Aug A2 receiver for a song and am now looking for a barrel.  I really hate to put a US made barrel on a nice Austrian gun.

Does anyone sell NOS Austrian barrels?  Or even gently used?

Is the original Austrian tulip flash hider set up able to be mounted on the US barrel?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you check out PJ's website?

Google Pete Aug website. They should have something as a starting point.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you check out PJ's website?

Google Pete Aug website. They should have something as a starting point.
View Quote
Yea, I emailed him this morning.

This is a new weapons platform for me and I'm not sure I have the best idea where to look for hard to find parts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Pete, for all things Aug, or maleante.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah gunbroker. Unless some individual squirreled away a bunch of barrels and are willing to sell. You're not gonna find a lot of stand alone Austrian barrels. Either NOS or used for sale.

Besides what little Steyr Arms lists on their website. Pete Athens is pretty much the only place you're gonna find parts for the AUG in the USA.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Gunbroker is your best bet. There was a 20" barrel on there for almost a year. Seller was asking $800, I don't believe it ever sold.

However, if you want to part with the A2 receiver just send me a message...
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I recently purchased an Aug A2 receiver for a song and am now looking for a barrel.  I really hate to put a US made barrel on a nice Austrian gun.

Does anyone sell NOS Austrian barrels?  Or even gently used?

Is the original Austrian tulip flash hider set up able to be mounted on the US barrel?
View Quote

Unfortunately no one sells NOS AUG barrels as a regular item. As others have said, Gunbroker is prob your best bet.

Is your A2 receiver one of the CCF-imported receivers? If so, you are going to need the US barrel and flash hider to count as two US parts. Also, the US barrels are not serialized whereas the Austrian barrels are serialized to the receiver. An Austrian barrel will be mismatched to the receiver, the US barrel will not. The US barrels are excellent. Steyr imported their CHF mandrel and has FN making them to Austrian spec.

The check nut is different on the Austrian vs. US barrels. The thread pitch is the same. If you remove the flash hider, remove the check nut, you can replace the check nut with an Austrian one from Pete Athens.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't seen any indication that the US barrels are in any way inferior to the Austrian ones. They are CHF Chrome lined FN-made parts, with Austrian gas blocks and peripherals. 

If this was an original pre-89 Import it would be one thing, but for what's always going to be a parts gun, there's not a big advantage to the Austrian barrel
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Austrian barrels are serialized to the receiver. An Austrian barrel will be mismatched to the receiver, the US barrel will not.
View Quote
My thoughts exactly.  Mismatched parts gun (bolt carriers serialized also IIRC) - if it makes you happy then more power to you, but don't do it for monetary "value".  Also, be sure you're comfortable with any 922(r) implications of whatever you might do.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm aware of 922r

Not doing it for monetary value.  I prefer the aesthetics of the Austrian check nut and flash hider.  PJ doesn't have and older style check nuts and flash hiders in stock.

I'm going to go with a US barrel and hope to find an older check nut/flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with a US barrel and hope to find an older check nut/flash hider.
View Quote
If you order from Pete I'd suggest have him loosen the check nut/FH for you.... they can be a serious bear to remove!
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:09:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I suggest you sell your A2 receiver to me . . . I'll swap you an A3 one and pay you for your hassle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Patience is your friend.  Gunbroker is probably your best bet.  It may take a while but you'll find one eventually.  I got lucky locally and got all 4 barrels when I got my A2. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top