Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 2:50:35 PM EDT
Do any of you guys/gals run yours suppressed, other than thread adapter did you have to do anything to get it to run reliably? I know it's not going to be the quietest of hosts, but I'd like to if I can.

I don't have any bullpups, would it be worthwhile to wait for the atrax/thales rifle instead of picking up a a3m1?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd wait for the Thales gun to see if it comes with the gas plug with the suppressor setting like the Australian AUGs have
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an AAC M4-2000 on mine. They offer a 51T Blackout threaded for the AUG. It works fine with brass-cased ammo, but I have to switch to adverse gas to reliably cycle the cheap steel-cased stuff if the silencer isn't mounted. No big deal. It's really quiet with the gas off in GR mode. Don't do that with steel-cased though, because it's harder to open afterwards. Very manageable with brass ammo to cycle it straight-pull style. I usually just fire semi-auto though.

I don't know that I would wait. Who knows how long?

I plan to shorten a barrel to 14" and leave a Gemtech Trek on it. One of the nice things about the AUG is that it's easy to swap barrels.

Edit because I leave it on normal gas when shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
YHM and AAC both make mounts in 13x1mm LH. No need for thread adapters.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use an AAC M4-2000 on mine. They offer a 51T Blackout threaded for the AUG. It works fine with brass-cased ammo, but I have to switch to adverse gas to reliably cycle the cheap steel-cased stuff. No big deal. It's really quiet with the gas off in GR mode. Don't do that with steel-cased though, because it's harder to open afterwards. Very manageable with brass ammo to cycle it straight-pull style. I usually just fire semi-auto though.

I plan to shorten a barrel to 14" and leave a Gemtech Trek on it. One of the nice things about the AUG is that it's easy to swap barrels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I use an AAC M4-2000 on mine. They offer a 51T Blackout threaded for the AUG. It works fine with brass-cased ammo, but I have to switch to adverse gas to reliably cycle the cheap steel-cased stuff. No big deal. It's really quiet with the gas off in GR mode. Don't do that with steel-cased though, because it's harder to open afterwards. Very manageable with brass ammo to cycle it straight-pull style. I usually just fire semi-auto though.

Quoted:
YHM and AAC both make mounts in 13x1mm LH. No need for thread adapters.
SiCo currently doesn't make a 13x1 LH mount
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a gemtech G5 on mine, 13x1lh bi lock mount.  no problems with brass or steel
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't gotten into the NFA game yet, but when I do, I'm planning to commission a custom reflex suppressor that screws onto the AUG's external threads that run the length of the barrel for the bayonet mount. This will both reduce length relative to volume and also reduce back pressure.

Pic stolen via google images to give you an idea:

As for the Thales, I think you would be better off buying the AUG, and then spending $95 for a spare gas regulator and having it drilled with a suppressor setting port. A few peeps have done this to good effect already.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I ran my A2 suppressed for awhile with a YHM Phantom II Stainless can mounted on a Steyr-made 16" barrel.  It sort of did something positive to suppress the sound.  A friend 20 yards behind me said it sounded pretty well suppressed even if it didn't seem so to me when firing it due to the gas escaping from the gas cylinder bleed ports. If I turned the gas setting to grenade it would make a fairly quiet single shot rifle.  

I don't mount the suppressor on my AUG anymore.  Very nose heavy feel to the rifle.  I will say the extra backpressure with the suppressor mounted did seem to cycle the action a bit more forcefully to my notice.  I only tried the regular gas setting and grenade setting in my tests.  

Why did I remove the supressor from my AUG?  It was nowhere near hearing safe with the suppressor mounted, so what's the point even if it did seem to sound well suppressed to people nearby?  I guess it would still be useful for agricultural pest control, but I don't shoot coyotes and groundhogs and stuff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I run mine suppressed with a DA Sandman-S, I got lucky as this particular can runs well on the AUG with out over gassing it. I had my barrel rethreaded 1/2x28 to avoid using a thread adapter.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ran my A2 suppressed for awhile with a YHM Phantom II Stainless can mounted on a Steyr-made 16" barrel.  It sort of did something positive to suppress the sound.  A friend 20 yards behind me said it sounded pretty well suppressed even if it didn't seem so to me when firing it due to the gas escaping from the gas cylinder bleed ports. If I turned the gas setting to grenade it would make a fairly quiet single shot rifle.  

I don't mount the suppressor on my AUG anymore.  Very nose heavy feel to the rifle.  I will say the extra backpressure with the suppressor mounted did seem to cycle the action a bit more forcefully to my notice.  I only tried the regular gas setting and grenade setting in my tests.  

Why did I remove the supressor from my AUG?  It was nowhere near hearing safe with the suppressor mounted, so what's the point even if it did seem to sound well suppressed to people nearby?  I guess it would still be useful for agricultural pest control, but I don't shoot coyotes and groundhogs and stuff.
View Quote
Who cares if it's hearing safe or not? I still wear plugs even shooting suppressed. Reduced noise still equals less hearing damage over time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Next time you should be more specific.

If it's a Saker you can always get a 51T or YHM mount.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Surefire makes a flash suppressor/mount for the AUG that works with their SOCOM cans. That's what I plan on getting for my AUG A3 when I suppress it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he was
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
he was
View Quote
Where in his original post did he mention owning a SiCo can?

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Wasn't ratworx or someone rethreading muzzle devices for AUGs awhile back? Or I could be way off base and it was just muzzles getting rethreaded.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wasn't ratworx or someone rethreading muzzle devices for AUGs awhile back? Or I could be way off base and it was just muzzles getting rethreaded.
View Quote
They sell a thread adapter so you can mount 1/2x28 muzzle devices on your AUG.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought several 51Ts threaded for an aug. But I sent the barrel to Pete so as not to mess it up.

I bought one or two of the Ratworx adapters as well. Also, when I bought my 9mm kit I bought from RatWorx since they offered to thread the muzzle to spec. Hope it's right; I haven't opened it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top