Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2016 6:33:30 AM EDT
I know the company cratered at the end, and made some poor rilfes.  I would not advise someone to buy one now, with spare parts and service hard/impossible to get.

But do I enjoy my rifle.  It's an E4 version, with the built in optic, which works fine.  It's accurate, as shown below (50 yards, Horaday 75 grain TAP ammo), relible with the right mags and ammo, and with the 1/2" x 28 TPI thread, I was easily able to put on a Surefire flash hider and run it with a can, for a short, quiet package.

Anyone else really like their MSAR's, company QC warts and all?

Points, tips from my experiences:

Only big issue I've had is the mag release locked up after the first range visit, as these E4's were prone to do.  MSAR fixed it with a metal part within a week, and no issues with it since.

It is magazine selective.  It doesn't work reliably with Troy mags, and at the last range trip, it didn't like an older P-mag, though it had run fine with before - maybe my used and abused P-mag reached its lifespan with the MSAR.

Switched over to a Lancer, and with the metal feed lips, it worked fine.  Also no issues with the MSAR factory mags.  The Lancers also have enough of a mag catch feature to lock the bolt back even with my chin partially on the bolt release - it's where I have to put my chin to get a good sight picture with the scope. The P-mags would lock it open just fine with no presure on the mag catch.  So it's Lancers from here on in with the MSAR.

I put in the Neu-trigger - what a difference it makes on the trigger pull.  It's a metal shim that you install in the hammer pack, costs about 20-30 bucks, and really improves the pull.

Any other tips or tricks for the MSAR you'd like to share?

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine I had same issue with the mag release and they fixed it pretty quick
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two, a generation four and a early generation that was upgraded to a gen 4 by MSAR. Never
had a problem with either one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
My MSAR was great, it didn't like steel cased ammo but that was it.  The only reason its gone is a buddy all but begged me to sell it to him and my wife offered to get me an AUG at the same time. Mine was also a Gen 4 and great.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine is an E4 and runs great.I like it a lot,it has a 20 inch barrel and is amazingly accurate.I got a new bolt from Ratworx that uses AR15 innards,and keep the original as a spare.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
From what I understand, they are legal in NJ since the law there mentions the  AUG by name as banned. I have had very limited experience with the MSAR E4 (under 200 rounds) but it ran with no issues. I love my AUG, but as long as I could get spare parts I wouldn't feel unarmed with the MSAR ( spare parts and service being the center of gravity for this system).
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Love mine.... I have a spare stock, spare trigger pack, and other goodies for it. Both stocks were updated with new mag catches.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my MSAR. I got an early one - OD green,  factory optics, 20" barrel. I had it upgraded to an E4, Shoots great - no issues.

I have been very lucky in building a large spare part stash, I bought 2 spare parts kits when they were first available. Then a guy I know who has more money than sense decided to dump his STG556 and all of his spare parts. The LGS offered him $600 for the package.... he offered it to me for $650. . I sold the stripped receiver and stripped STG556 stock for what I paid and kept the rest including the 16" barrel.

I wish Ratwork would have done another run of the bolts and trigger packs

It's a shame the company couldn't keep it together as I like the classic look.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The owners ran it into the ground.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine but I do need to start buying parts for back up.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Same here.
I am sorry to hear that Ratworx isn't making the bolts anymore. I'll call tomorrow and check to be sure, though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I like mine too.  It is a 20" E4 in OD and I have the Nue Trigger.   I haven't had any problems except the mag catch and MSAR fixed it promptly.  I don't have any problems with pmags.

Because of the lack of parts I hardly ever shoot it.  I bought a Tavor and will probably sell the MSAR at some point.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one.  Bought tons of spares after it all started downhill.  Including two extra complete BCGs.  The optic crapped out & it started eating the trunnion.  Sold it all at a lost.
Glad to be rid of that piece of shit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I still have mine without a problem. It has the 1.5 optic and takes proprietary mags.

Only thing I would like is a rail for the top to mount a better scope.

IM me if you have one you want to sell.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still have mine without a problem. It has the 1.5 optic and takes proprietary mags.

Only thing I would like is a rail for the top to mount a better scope.

IM me if you have one you want to sell.
View Quote

http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/threads/11858-Msar-top-rail
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Both of my E4's run just fine even with steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
My Gen1 has run very well, no stoppages. I didn't shoot it a lot when MSAR was in business and I really don't shoot it now because I am a bit paranoid something will break that I cannot fix. Good rifle but like you said, I don't recommend them to anyone. I am hoping a white Steyr comes through my shop soon so I can buy a real one
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Love mine, haven't had any problems with it at all through about 5000 rounds.  Plenty accurate too.

Of course it helps that I built it from hand selected parts, and it was test fired about 250 times before I took it home
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I own a few MSAR rifles that I am quite fond of.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an E4 that runs great. The I bought a RATWORX bolt to have an extra. The bolt works fine, but neither the ratworx or the msar bolt will work with the ratworx bolt sleeve. Both work fine with the MSAR sleeve.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Did you get the wrong Ratworx sleeve and get their sleeve for the AUG?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the RatWorx sleeves on both of my rifles and they work great.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#22]
My two E4s have run fine for me. Have some spare parts and Ratworx bolts but haven't put them in since the originals are fine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I acquired an E4 back in early 2010. I've never had any sort of issue with it. Probably about 4,000-5,000 rounds through it by now. It's not my "go to" rifle, but I think I would trust it if it had to be. It's always a crowd pleaser at the range.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I loved mine. Ran steel like a champ. Really wish they didn't go under. I shot the shit out of mine and eventually one of the times I ordered a replacement item from Rat Worx I was told, "Well you're in luck because I only have one left!" Sold it after I got it running again. Still haven't found a suitable replacement.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I have an E4 that's been flawless.

Never got around to replacing the mag catch or looking in to whatever else required an upgrade.

Largely for those reasons it doesn't get shot much at all.

Not big on guns with zero support or parts availability.

If I had upgraded whatever was failing on them, I'd probably shoot it more.....but parts are pretty much gone.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I loved my E4.

In fact, in some ways, I found it superior to my Aug.   For one, the machining and details were better, and the fluted barrel gave a better balance.

When it came time to sell one or the other though, I sold the MSAR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Mine has been great, as long as I don't feed it Brown Bear steel cased ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top