Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2016 12:25:00 AM EDT
The replacement for the FAMAS will NOT be a bullpup. The future battle rifle for the French military has been whittled down to the H&K 416 or the SCAR.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/18/breaking-france-downselects-famas-rifle-replacement-bids-belgium-germany/

eta - UPDATE - it appears the winner is the HK 416:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/30/breaking-next-french-infantry-rifle-german-heckler-koch-reportedly-wins-french-aif-rifle-competition/

bye-bye, FAMAS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Did they ever test a recent AUG model?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent. The FAMAS was a tremendous piece of shit. Their steel case ammo short strokes an M16 A1 and A2 and feels like wolf in an M4. They are the only NATO power Im aware of that can't shoot allied ammo (or shouldnt). This is a good step for them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]

France has to buy their replacement from
within the EU.

<removed tracking pixel>

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Good : SCAR 16 !!

The FAMAS has shit ergonomics, and can't cycle m193 without folding.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]
FAMAS kits maybe!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Both the SCAR and the 416 are solid choices to replace the POS FAMAS
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#7]
So they dropped it. Thought it was pretty common for them, somewhat traditional, to drop a rifle

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FAMAS kits maybe!!
View Quote

Tula ammo could only hope.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FAMAS kits maybe!!
View Quote

From what I've heard, France will not allow their used guns to hit the civilian market.
I'd love a FAMAS, in spite of their shortcomings.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#10]
So, if you buy a small car, say a Yugo, and conclude it totally sucks, it's a fairly natural reaction, that your next car, is NOT going to be a small car.  Never mind a Honda would have been a much better experience.  Just human nature, I'd be the same way.

That pretty much sum's up my own opinion on this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The article fails to mention whether they are considering the SCAR 17 or the less effective Scar 16. If they plan on sticking with the 5.56 Nato cartridge, then why not the Steyr Aug. A much better bullpup rifle than the FAMAS.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The article fails to mention whether they are considering the SCAR 17 or the less effective Scar 16. If they plan on sticking with the 5.56 Nato cartridge, then why not the Steyr Aug. A much better bullpup rifle than the FAMAS.
View Quote

I don't think Steyr was even in the running for this one.  Supposedly the Croatian VHS-2 was considered, but that was the only bullpup in the list.  Be interesting to see if Austria ever moves away from the AUG in the future though.

They're likely sticking with the standard NATO round because it's the standard NATO round. They've already dealt with how many years of special snowflake ammo issues, bulk 7.62x51 isn't on the table for anyone.

The SCAR-16 and HK416 are already in use in the French military, so there's some institutional familiarity with them as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think Steyr was even in the running for this one.  Supposedly the Croatian VHS-2 was considered, but that was the only bullpup in the list.  Be interesting to see if Austria ever moves away from the AUG in the future though.

They're likely sticking with the standard NATO round because it's the standard NATO round. They've already dealt with how many years of special snowflake ammo issues, bulk 7.62x51 isn't on the table for anyone.

The SCAR-16 and HK416 are already in use in the French military, so there's some institutional familiarity with them as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the VHS-2 was looked at, and is no longer in contention.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It also looks like the receiver would be a bitch and too expensive to reproduce in the states to make it worth it. And current ATF regs requiring 2 cuts, 3 pieces with one of them crushed/destroyed is designed specifically to defeat having easy re-welds. Then there's the issue of 922(r) compliance parts. Adding even more expense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FAMAS kits maybe!!

From what I've heard, France will not allow their used guns to hit the civilian market.
I'd love a FAMAS, in spite of their shortcomings.

It also looks like the receiver would be a bitch and too expensive to reproduce in the states to make it worth it. And current ATF regs requiring 2 cuts, 3 pieces with one of them crushed/destroyed is designed specifically to defeat having easy re-welds. Then there's the issue of 922(r) compliance parts. Adding even more expense.

I'd be happy just to get the parts to make a dummy for display.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought I read somewhere that France was close to adopting the Thales F90?

Edit:

I was wrong
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]
they abandon all their rifles at some point...

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I need a Famas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

France has to buy their replacement from within the EU.

http://liqew.xyz/217/t.png
View Quote
I am sure FN could build them in Belgium

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
France has to buy their replacement from within the EU.
http://liqew.xyz/217/t.png

FN could make what in Belgium, the SCAR?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Surely the FAMAS patents are long expired and a US company could make them,  right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yep, as soon as a shot is fired in their direction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess you haven't seen how they are kicking haji ass in Mali...
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The replacement for the FAMAS will NOT be a bullpup. The future battle rifle for the French military has been whittled down to the H&K 416 or the SCAR.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/18/breaking-france-downselects-famas-rifle-replacement-bids-belgium-germany/
View Quote

Will they go with a boqueot of flowers???

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FAMAS kits maybe!!
View Quote

We can hope, it may not be the best rifle, but I'd still like to own one.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have obviously never worked with French forces. If you had, then you'd realize what an ignorant post you just made.

Now that that is out of the way, I'd also buy a dummy kit for a display. I think that France will go with the SCAR over the 416.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]
That blog is quoting an gery unreliable news source.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot of fench arms manufactures went out of business or merged.

They should had just buy a shit load or AUGsburg instead.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You have obviously never worked with French forces. If you had, then you'd realize what an ignorant post you just made.
Now that that is out of the way, I'd also buy a dummy kit for a display. I think that France will go with the SCAR over the 416.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it's called sarcasm...
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Non-technical trolling and drive-by comments of no worth aren't going to be tolerated. <AJ>

SPECIFIC TO THE TECH FORUMS

The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there. These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Some of you people need to Google Verdun.

That said, I think the HK416 and the SCAR are superb rifles and easily in contention for the best choices available. I think the French are making a very good call.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#32]
This can't be true that its crap. Its pretty good in call of duty
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:Now that that is out of the way, I'd also buy a dummy kit for a display. I think that France will go with the SCAR over the 416.
View Quote
While I hope you're right, I have to wonder why the G36 isn't in play? I've been a huge fan of that rifle, ever since the first time I fired one. I don't care as much for the 416, because it was basically "let's take some (but not all) of the good parts of the G36 and slap it on an AR! Then we'll screw with a few other things so that fewer standard AR parts can be included!"
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
While I hope you're right, I have to wonder why the G36 isn't in play? I've been a huge fan of that rifle, ever since the first time I fired one. I don't care as much for the 416, because it was basically "let's take some (but not all) of the good parts of the G36 and slap it on an AR! Then we'll screw with a few other things so that fewer standard AR parts can be included!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Now that that is out of the way, I'd also buy a dummy kit for a display. I think that France will go with the SCAR over the 416.

The g36 isn't in play because the design has some serious fundamental flaws.  

The scar would be a great choice but there needs to be some minor changes.  They should talk to the rangers who tried the SCAR.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The G36 had serious issues maintaining zero as the system heated up. The 416 is a great system, but will France adopt it after all the shortcoming of the G36? ( France issues / issued the G36 and G36k to select military and police units). If FN can develop a more robust folding / collapsible stock I really can see them adopting it over the 416. If they do adopt the 416, they will still be very well armed!
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#37]
...the G36 just about became a political scandal in Germany....

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I've got a $5 it'll be the HK416 series, based upon France and the Legion's experience in combat
over the last decade and a half.

iirc they have already ordered 90k of them, though don't recall if if was for Armee Terre or the Legion.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've got a $5 it'll be the HK416 series, based upon France and the Legion's experience in combat
over the last decade and a half.

iirc they have already ordered 90k of them, though don't recall if if was for Armee Terre or the Legion.
View Quote

Looks like you get to keep your $5.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/30/breaking-next-french-infantry-rifle-german-heckler-koch-reportedly-wins-french-aif-rifle-competition/

HK 416 wins!
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
...the G36 just about became a political scandal in Germany....

View Quote

The G36 is a colossal and irrecoverable disaster.   I love HK stuff but I have to admit that.  

The 416 is plenty strong enough of an offering to pull them out of it.   This contract at 90K pieces is YUUGE for HK.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#41]
The French can thank us for the fact that they don't speak German and we can thank them for the fact that we don't fly the union jack...  

The 4 stages of french military action;

Retreat
Surrender
Sympathize
Collaborate

Get some........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top