Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2016 9:52:31 PM EDT
Im going to purchase a new A3 M1 with the three power optic, The only two things im bantering about is 20 inch barrel or 16, and NATO mag or AUG. Mainly because I have a metric shit ton of nato mags. Any help appreciated, And Im a big dude, 6f3 and 265lb, carried a M60 for years and spun it like a toy, Im just comfortable with something bigger in my hands, don't plan on any CQB. Thanks in advance. appreciate any help with this, I know the manual of arms is different with the NATO conversion but im cool with it as itll be all new and can get the right muscle memory quickly
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to do with it?  Longer shots/velocity the 20 is great otherwise the 16 is better all around.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have the option of 20" barrel, I would opt for that over a 16" barrel. The new M1's are rare to be in 20" configuration without going through Pete or knowing where to get a 20" barrel.

I like the AUG as a 3x with 20" barrel. It feels just like the old A1's, but with higher magnification.
My preference is for AUG mags, they're better all around than USGI mags.
If buying from Pete, have him add a bayonet lug while you're at it. It's easier to have him do it now, than later.

M1 3x, 20", and bayonet lug - fun combination.

You'll like the AUG, everyone* does...
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The 16" AUG is damn handy, but like the man said, the 20" is pretty sweet also.

What. I like is that the balance is still great with the 20" barrel. The rifle doesn't feel nose heavy at all.

AJ
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd much rather lose the 4" and the very little velocity difference. The handling improvement in/around structures and vehicles is significant. The major handicap in firing AUGs at long range is the trigger, not the velocity. In general, with 5.56, I prefer 11.5-14.5" barrels. They offer the best compromise between portability and performance. The bullpup design buys you additional barrel inches in a compact package, so take advantage of it. In my opinion, most of that advantage is lost with a 20". I don't care that they're less common. Originally they were the only length offered. This isn't a coincidence.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#5]
The 16 in barrel is what I would say the best option for this platform, you will gain extra velocity with the 20 in barrel but you will not according to my experiance gain anything as far as accuracy. In my experiance the 16 in will actually produce better accuarcy results.

Make sure to buy the gun set up for the original AUG magazines that it is designed for. Magazines are not that expensive. You might have a lot of AR magazines and there are endless brands and versions but with that you will introduce more variables for possible magazine issues that results in a malfunction.

The AUG magazine goes strait into the AUG's stock like that of an AR15/STANAG but and here is an important difference (that makes the AUG magazine design superior to that of the STANAG) it is locked in place the same way an AK magazines is.

You don't see anyone tapping and draging an AK magazine to make sure that it does not fall out of the gun! There are no drills as far as I know for AK as part of a malfunction drill specifically to make sure that the magazine is fully seated.

You never need to tap and drag the AUG magazine to make sure it is seated once you hear the sound of it locking in place that is it.
There is a lot of people that are used to AR's that carry over the tap and drag process, this is a total waste. In fact if there is a weakness in the AUG magazines it is that if you slam a fully loaded magazine hard enough from below you can have round pop out of the magazine, then as you let the bolt carrier go forward you will have a double feed.

When it comes to magazine changes I would argue that if you take into account the extra element of taping and draging to make sure an AR magazine is securely seated in an AR-15 you will be slower at reloading compared to an AUG bulpup without that addtional procedure.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]
What difference does the 20" barrel make? You want the 20" barrel get it. Later on you want to try the 16" barrel, get one. The beauty of the Steyr Aug is that you can change out the barrels in less than 5 seconds to whatever barrel you want (have on hand). You can't do that with most other rifles (Tavor/KelTec RFB/FN FS2000/FN FAL/FNC/HK91/IMI Galil). If you want to use Steyr Aug magazines, then buy a regular Steyr Aug receiver and simply change the receiver from the Nato receiver to the regular Aug receiver.

I started out with the regular Steyr Aug and have a ton of magazines. I later decided that I wanted a Nato kit so I could use AR15 magazines as well as the AR15/M16 drum magazines. I have a bunch of Surefire 60 rd magazines as well as X Products 50rd drums and some MagPul 60rd drum magazines. Unfortunately, they don't make these for the regular Steyr Aug. They do make a Beta C magazine for the Steyr Aug. I had one. It doesn't work very well ergonomically because you have to extend (uncomfortably) your shooting arm around the double drum to get a grip on the Aug. It can be done, but, is too uncomfortable to use. But, I'm happy to have both the Aug and the Nato stocks, so I can use either. I haven't felt the need to get any barrels longer than the 16" one that came with my Aug.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I couldn't decide which to get, so made the compromise with an 18in barrel.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
simply change the receiver from the Nato receiver to the regular Aug receiver.
View Quote

The receivers are the same, get a NATO stock and a NATO bolt-hold-open (may want a separate hammer pack for easier swapping).

My advice would be to buy with 20" barrel and AUG stock since you'll likely find 16" fairly easily if you want it.  NATO stocks are also often available separately.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you have the option of 20" barrel, I would opt for that over a 16" barrel. The new M1's are rare to be in 20" configuration without going through Pete or knowing where to get a 20" barrel.

I like the AUG as a 3x with 20" barrel. It feels just like the old A1's, but with higher magnification.
My preference is for AUG mags, they're better all around than USGI mags.
If buying from Pete, have him add a bayonet lug while you're at it. It's easier to have him do it now, than later.

M1 3x, 20", and bayonet lug - fun combination.

You'll like the AUG, everyone* does...
View Quote

You just described my planned second AUG.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for the input.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  Aesthetically, I like the 18" look best.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 on getting an 18" if available. I don't care for the look of the AUG with a 20" barrel.
To me, it the best compromise barrel length for the 5.56
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#13]

If your getting the 3x optic, I say get the 20
You're still getting a compact rifle and
picking up the extra velocity.

AUG/NATO mag? I say AUG and keep your BHO
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's what ya do, get both in usual Arfcom fashion, you get the 16" and the 20" barrel, and maybe even a 24" barrel with bi-pod if you can find one, haha. Gotta love that quick change barrel system
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My old Steyr with its 20" was a really nice shooter....the old Swarovski "Cobra" scope glass helped a lot too...
If they could put a 1 MOA LED crisp dot in the circle...that would be my favorite gun of all time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Im going with the 20 inch barrel, dark green body, standard A3m1, 3.0 optic for my old eyes. not nato. who is the best to order from. PJs looks good.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have that same set up except with the 1.5 optic and I went to Pete great guy to deal with
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My first AUG was an AUG SA A3, 16" black stock with the A3 style rail.

Just got one last week, AUG M1, 18" Mud stock with the 1.5x optic.

If I were going to have just one I'd do the 16" but having the two gives me some nice options.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Im going with the 20 inch barrel, dark green body, standard A3m1, 3.0 optic for my old eyes. not nato. who is the best to order from. PJs looks good.
View Quote
Order from PJs. I have the exact same gun and it is likely the last of my many that I would ever give up.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Would you guys rather have a 16" M1 or a 20" STG77 40th anniversary edition for an extra $200 or so?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Would you guys rather have a 16" M1 or a 20" STG77 40th anniversary edition for an extra $200 or so?
View Quote

I thought the STGs are all spoken for.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I managed to put myself down for the last one but I'm still undecided if I should keep the spot or not lol.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I managed to put myself down for the last one but I'm still undecided if I should keep the spot or not lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you planning on using or just collecting? If going for a user, I'd spend the extra cash on ammo or mags.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

call PJ --
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I called PJ, what an honor to deal with a legend in the AUG, My A3M1 with 20 inch barrell and 3.0 optic ships Monday. Pics when it arrives....oooh happy days are here again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't say enough about Pete.
He's the face of Aug in my book!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can't say enough about Pete.
He's the face of Aug in my book!
View Quote

Indeed. I recently contacted him about a specific configuration (which I hadn't seen) and damn if he didn't have it. Shipped the next day only because my FFL sent info too late to ship the same day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top