User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But yeah, having a tennis racket case might throw up a red flag when there's a hurricane. lol
View Quote

In my neck of the woods, I use a snowshoe bag. As long as it doesn't happen during July or August, I should be g2g.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In my neck of the woods, I use a snowshoe bag. As long as it doesn't happen during July or August, I should be g2g.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But yeah, having a tennis racket case might throw up a red flag when there's a hurricane. lol

lol

I got awesome news yesterday. My Tavor should be here Friday. It might be next week before I can pick it up, but I paid for it. My scope is here and the mount is on the way, tomorrow it'll get here. I got an MTAC with PEPR mount, but the mount was missing. Primary Arms took care of it quickly and is shipping me a PEPR with QD mount instead of the standard one that it was supposed to be packaged with. This was a Burris issue more than PA issue. They got it handled fast, and I actually like the CQB reticle. The only thing is I really liked the FFP reticle on the AR Optic, and wish this was FFP instead of SFP.

Don't know what kind of case to get for it though.

I used to play tennis every day, but if anybody saw me with a racket bag now , and took a look at my fat ass, they'd know I was lying.

But hey, Starting soon, it will be my go to gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread has been around a while.  Long enough for me to make some decisions.  At the time, I would've agreed my AUG could be a "go to gun" but I was still keeping an AR in the SUV as an everyday carbine, so wouldn't say it was "the" one.  The AUG and another rifle (or more) were usually in there going to or from the range, but that AR was always at home there.  

Since then, the AR got moved out for one reason or another and never went back in.   I've decided the AUG in its Eberlestock pack can be the get home gun.  It took four years of use, but I need plenty of convincing for a job like that.  An AR of some sort has been tagging along most of the time since 1984.

The "other rifle" that rides along a lot is a SCAR.  I have to say I might prefer it (it's hard to part with a .30 cal if cars might be around) but the AUG gets an extra point or two for discreetness.  That could be an important factor if I have to abandon ship.   The SCAR fits the backpack with the stock folded, but the AUG can be ready Freddy in there.  
Wow. I've never said ready Freddy in my life.  I must be thrilled.  

Rare Spares?  Just about anything that wears or is easily lost can be carried in one hand, weighs a few ounces, and costs under $300 for all.  I got what I thought I might ever need, dumped it into ziploc bags and they ride along also.  Problem hopefully solved.  

It's nice the two AUG stock designs allow the use of good mags and AR mags both.  However, it would be nice to be able to use one stock and an adapter of some sort.   Maybe just a swap-in latch.   Or naturally, one stock to use both.  I have no idea how to accomplish that, so I'll just throw it out there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This thread has been around a while.  Long enough for me to make some decisions.  At the time, I would've agreed my AUG could be a "go to gun" but I was still keeping an AR in the SUV as an everyday carbine, so wouldn't say it was "the" one.  The AUG and another rifle (or more) were usually in there going to or from the range, but that AR was always at home there.  

Since then, the AR got moved out for one reason or another and never went back in.   I've decided the AUG in its Eberlestock pack can be the get home gun.  It took four years of use, but I need plenty of convincing for a job like that.  An AR of some sort has been tagging along most of the time since 1984.

The "other rifle" that rides along a lot is a SCAR.  I have to say I might prefer it (it's hard to part with a .30 cal if cars might be around) but the AUG gets an extra point or two for discreetness.  That could be an important factor if I have to abandon ship.   The SCAR fits the backpack with the stock folded, but the AUG can be ready Freddy in there.  

Rare Spares?  Just about anything that wears or is easily lost can be carried in one hand, weighs a few ounces, and costs under $300 for all.  I got what I thought I might ever need, dumped it into ziploc bags and they ride along also.  Problem hopefully solved.  

It's nice the two AUG stock designs allow the use of good mags and AR mags both.  However, it would be nice to be able to use one stock and an adapter of some sort.   Maybe just a swap-in latch.   Or naturally, one stock to use both.  I have no idea how to accomplish that, so I'll just throw it out there.
View Quote

Interesting observations and conclusions.  I too keep an AR in each my two vehicles secured with a unique locking system.  The reason I keep AR's in the vehicles and not my Tavor or AUG is value.  In a "peacetime" scenario, the likelihood of someone stealing my Tavor, AUG, or other higher dollar rifles from a very secure safe in a very alarmed building are pretty low.  And while highly locked down and secured in the vehicles, they are still more prone to getting stolen just because they are mobile.  The two AR's are 14.5 pinned barrel models that cost about $700-$800 to build and accessorize...about half that of some of my other semiauto rifles.  Still, I'd trust my life to them.  In the old SHTF, grab-the-gun-of-your-choice scenario described in this thread, it would probably be the Tavor or AUG either one...both of my models using P-mags.  Of course in that scenario we're talking about one rifle...on foot...carrying all the supplies and kit that one could for survival.  In reality most all of us would have at least one tank of gas to hit the road with, so I'd throw every gun and case of ammo in the house into the vehicle and use them for trade and barter until some unknown point down the road.  Honestly, I'd just stay planted at the house, if possible, for as long as possible.  With a water well, generator to run the pump occasionally, and great long distance sight lines to potential threats from my home...what the heck.  These hypotheticals are fun mind exercises, but so many people's situations will have so many variables that it's hard to be exact.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Aug is my go to now.
With an aimpoint it feels very well balanced and putting rounds on target fast is easy.
The trigger on mine is good and shooting 1 inch groups at 50 yards is the norm off a rest.
I actually like the trigger more for shooting fast.
The recoil is smooth and dot comes back on target fast.
It seems to run fast naturally.
Hard to explain but if you own one you probably know what I'm  saying.
It runs clean and doesn't need much attention and very easy to take apart.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

These are all very good points. Well thought out
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
just picked up my Tavor today. Going to mount the MTAC scope today and zero it. It is now my go to gun.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
just picked up my Tavor today. Going to mount the MTAC scope today and zero it. It is now my go to gun.
View Quote

Let's see a pic of it
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
my setup
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Let's see a pic of it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's see a pic of it

I'm about to fall out, but I'll get one when I wake back up.  Got it zeroed today. The trigger isn't really bad, it's more different, like a striker fired handgun trigger. First impressions on mag changes is that it's really fast, even after just shooting for sighting in and testing, and busting a few cans. I'll start doing drills over the next few days if I'm having a good day. My muscle memory still goes for the Ar type reload if I'm not thinking. It will get in my heade soon enough.  I've had maybe 4 good days in the last month or so. I felt better today than I have in a year probably, went almost the whole day without being sick. Thankful my prayers were answered with a good day today.

Almost had to go to the ER for priapism. I got an erection that lasted damn near 4 hours shooting that Tavor.

I also have a C39v2 with the milled receiver coming for my son. My dealer had one, son said he wanted it and I owed him. Melonite barrels on them.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Noice

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, just an ipotato quick pic.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Very nice, what made you deside to purchase a Tavor?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Looks nice, I wish I would have gone for the FDE, my black one looks a little boring in comparison.  Still love the rifle!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've always wanted a bullpup, previously the Aug was what I wanted, since, like 1977 when I saw it in a gun magazine.

But , what triggered this series of events. My taxes were screwed up, they had me on a non resident rate, plus, one building, a 1992 double wide , was listed at $29,000 when the actual value was about $5000 tops. Also, the house isn't worth $130K either. I had to sell my guns, and my sons to pay off the taxes, been selling guns and other stuff the last few years to pay for it. After I sold the guns, I finally got a congressman friend of mine to get something done, and he had the tax assessor come to the house and redo everything. So that dropped my taxes, and I went from $3000 to $900 this year, and I got a $2000 check from them for overpayment from last year.

My health has gotten to where I'm not able to get out to the range or to the farm anymore, or hunt, so I figured if I was going to be shooting mostly inside of 100 -200 yards, and really, more for SD purposes, a bullpup would be the way to go, and now was the time. I really liked everything I've seen about the Tavor, and over the last year or so handing it and the Aug, I liked the Tavor better, though the Aug had the better trigger.

Just playing with it now that I have it inside the house, there is no comparison to an AR with a 16" barrel. The 5.56 relies on velocity, even with projectiles that are meant for SD and hunting, so I wanted to keep the 16" barrel and not SBR and AR15, since I'd have to go to 10" to get the same overall length. It gives me a weapon that moves around easier inside, and has more range outside. With a 10" barrel AR, with M193, the projectile never even reaches the 2700fps that is needed to fragment reliably, where with the Tavor, it does, and it is going to 2700fps out to about 250 yards.

I have found, like others have said, it isn't really a bench rest gun, but that can be helped with a new trigger and just getting more used to it, but, as far as a quick shooter, getting on target, with ready up type drills, it's hard to beat. It sort of springs up, like seriously, there's a spring under it that makes it jump up to your line of sight. I did about 10 rounds of ready up type shots yesterday. Gun at patrol position, and then up and fire ( my targets were old Red Bull cans that were still full and a couple of glade air freshener cans at 25 yards on a fence, shoulder high ), and I missed three times. Two of the times were almost skimming the targets, one went into the fence a quarter inch away, the other an inch, and one I shot way low, about two feet. That height over bore is a bitch, and I forgot it that time. lol

I love it.

I did have one jam shooting from the bench sighting it in, on about the 7th round, but I know what happened. I normally shoot with my support hand under the back of the stock and against my chest. Squeeze a tad and raise the rear if needed, or relax and lower the rear. Well, can't really do that with the Tavor. What happened was I pressed on the button under the stock that's the bolt hold open / mag release.

Just going to have to shoot it more to get the muscle memory for it down. Changing mags was almost as fast as an AR just with those few rounds, though I did mash an imaginary mag release with my trigger finger twice. lol

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks nice, I wish I would have gone for the FDE, my black one looks a little boring in comparison.  Still love the rifle!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Paint.

I have an award winning artist and photographer for a best friend. He's going to start practicing airbrushing a photo realistic snake skin effect with some of the firearms paints /coatings, and when he gets it right, he's going to do my rifle. Might be a while , he's supposed to be going to the Roberto Venn Luthier school, then to the Jay Lichty program to start building custom guitars.

I trust him though, he's really good at everything creative that he does, and he's never satisfied with his work. He hates every piece he does, even if he likes it better than others he's done. He can find a flaw in anything.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Paint.

I have an award winning artist and photographer for a best friend. He's going to start practicing airbrushing a photo realistic snake skin effect with some of the firearms paints /coatings, and when he gets it right, he's going to do my rifle. Might be a while , he's supposed to be going to the Roberto Venn Luthier school, then to the Jay Lichty program to start building custom guitars.

I trust him though, he's really good at everything creative that he does, and he's never satisfied with his work. He hates every piece he does, even if he likes it better than others he's done. He can find a flaw in anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paint.

We are, by nature, our own worst critics - most of the time. As for me, I wish I knew they were eventually going to make them in green. FDE is kinda .... meh ... to me, but I would have jumped all over a green one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#18]
My Tavor CTAR-21  is my "go to"... 15" barrel while being no longer than a 7.5" PDW AR-15.. Cant argue with that! lol

Seen wearing: Trijicon RX30, Insight M6X light/laser, Geissele lightning bow trigger Manticore curved buttpad and safety levers, magpul RSA and two tone Cerakote.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't shower without my AUG on duty

" />
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I also have a Tavor as a go to gun.It has an 18" barrel and Trijicon optic.I really liked Novaman74 Wilson bag.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tavor is my choice as well. Most importantly, it takes AR mags. Both the AUG and Tavor are battle proven, but the AR mags gives the tavor the edge in my opinion.
With the 18" barrel, you get the best accuracy "bang for buck" as well.

shameless Tavor pic:

<a href="http://s652.photobucket.com/user/tommycanadabucket/media/IWI%20Tavor%20CTAR-21_zpswd5rafav.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tommycanadabucket/IWI%20Tavor%20CTAR-21_zpswd5rafav.jpg</a>
View Quote

Barrel length doesn't affect accuracy much at all but when it does shorter stiffer barrels are usually a bit more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you have to evacuate in a hurricane, you don't think people are going to be skeptical that the one item you chose to grab was your tennis racket?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll add another reason either would be a good choice as a "go to" gun:

For those of us not in law enforcement, barring a complete and total disaster (and sometimes even then) it's not always a great idea for normal folks to be seen with a rifle, even in times that you should really have a rifle.

What to AUGs/Tavors do that an AR won't?  

Fit in a bag like this in a ready to rock condition:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/antiarocking74/F37AB249-68EA-4D9D-AEE3-21BCEB07BC78_zpsoq3mf0z6.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/antiarocking74/371DBF69-E8DF-49F6-87BF-293902249B92_zps86pcha6r.jpg

If I have to evacuate from a hurricane, I can carry this in the front seat of my car with no one the wiser.  I can carry it into a hotel room without raising any eyebrows.  You have to get down to SBR sizes to do so with an AR.  SBR isn't a terrible option, but neither is a Tavor or Aug for those times you'd like to have a rifle handy but don't want people to know you have a rifle handy.

If you have to evacuate in a hurricane, you don't think people are going to be skeptical that the one item you chose to grab was your tennis racket?

This...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, I would make my AUG a go to gun.

Couple years ago there was an article written about the aug and a trainer that did things with the aug that was great.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I've never been a bullpup guy and I still prefer an A1 or A2 rifle.....BUT...after a lot of consideration, for a general purpose gun that is low profile yet SUPER easy to shoot, you would honestly be hard pressed to beat either an AUG or a Tavor.

Despite my negativity to both designs, I took to them like a fish takes to water.  I came away convinced there is no better gun to shoot from your hind legs like a good bullpup.  With no practice on either platform I just about have to FORCE myself to miss with them.

AUGs are smooth as silk and are a pure pleasure to shoot.  They are also proven over the last almost 40 years....that's a statement.

The TAVOR is nowhere near as old but they inspire shooting confidence very quickly.....I didn't like the TAVOR until I started pulling that nasty ass trigger on one.  DESPITE the  VP-70 like trigger pull ( even with the secondary return spring pulled ) I can punch a fist sized group into a target at 75 feet with a 20 round box mag in a damn hurry.

You could be much less served by guns other than a TAVOR or AUG is those were your choosing.

I'd buy either.....and I am super picky.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll add another reason either would be a good choice as a "go to" gun:

For those of us not in law enforcement, barring a complete and total disaster (and sometimes even then) it's not always a great idea for normal folks to be seen with a rifle, even in times that you should really have a rifle.

What to AUGs/Tavors do that an AR won't?  

Fit in a bag like this in a ready to rock condition:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/antiarocking74/F37AB249-68EA-4D9D-AEE3-21BCEB07BC78_zpsoq3mf0z6.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/antiarocking74/371DBF69-E8DF-49F6-87BF-293902249B92_zps86pcha6r.jpg

If I have to evacuate from a hurricane, I can carry this in the front seat of my car with no one the wiser.  I can carry it into a hotel room without raising any eyebrows.  You have to get down to SBR sizes to do so with an AR.  SBR isn't a terrible option, but neither is a Tavor or Aug for those times you'd like to have a rifle handy but don't want people to know you have a rifle handy.

This...

If anyone has the nerve to ask, the reply is, "it's my lifeblood."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top