Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2016 4:27:01 PM EDT
...and I'm digging it so far.

The optic is a Holosun HS515C, and this setup feels perfect for CQB and home defense, which is my intended role for this rifle. It's a really nice compliment so far to my AR's and AK's, but to all the other AUG owners out there, I do have a few questions.

1. I've read up quite a bit about the trigger options out there, from the 2020, Neu trigger, etc...and I just wanted to know what combination of mods or trigger upgrades can I run to get it as crisp as possible and maybe shorten the travel a bit.

2. Are there any other good options or DIY mods for brass deflectors outside of the Manticore brassbuster?

3. Are there any good compensators out there that fit this gun's thread pattern?

4. Which available charging handle upgrade is considered the best?

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with the 2020 sear, manitcore brass deflector and mini switchback.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here except I went with the medium switchback, which may be what AR18 has and I don't know the name of it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had my AUG for 20 years and have never thought it needed a different charging handle. Just operate it palm up like you're supposed to, and there won't be any issues
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Compared to the original A1 charging handle  I much prefer the handle on my A3...

Stock charging handle is fine.....

For CQB just us e irons
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Upgraded both my A3 and M1 with the Ratworx 20/20 trigger sear. I enjoy the trigger alot better.

http://www.ratworxusa.com/product.20-tsm-auga3?source=catalog
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The optic is a Holosun HS515C, and this setup feels perfect for CQB and home defense, which is my intended role for this rifle. It's a really nice compliment so far to my AR's and AK's, but to all the other AUG owners out there, I do have a few questions.

1. I've read up quite a bit about the trigger options out there, from the 2020, Neu trigger, etc...and I just wanted to know what combination of mods or trigger upgrades can I run to get it as crisp as possible and maybe shorten the travel a bit.

2. Are there any other good options or DIY mods for brass deflectors outside of the Manticore brassbuster?

3. Are there any good compensators out there that fit this gun's thread pattern?

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/hoevito/media/20160130_123304_zpsa6yuc4bp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/hoevito/20160130_123304_zpsa6yuc4bp.jpg</a><a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/hoevito/media/20160130_123342_zpsadivimc0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/hoevito/20160130_123342_zpsadivimc0.jpg</a>
View Quote

1.  All trigger improvements currently available go from unacceptable to just sucks.  There's a thread in the Geissele subforum here at ar15.com - go into and please add your voice requesting he make one for the AUG.  If enough people clamor for it, he just might.

2. In my experience, if you use hot ammo, it tends to naturally eject forward.  The Military Arms Channel video on Bullpups shows what happens when you use weaker ammo, like Wolf Steel (not to be confused with Wolf Gold - which is completely different).

3. No data

4. No data.  

If you have time, go read the So I got an AUG thread, which basically shows the AUG inside and out and a lot of info on things like point of impact with different ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats - it's a great and reliable weapon!  Now, to lose that Holosun...
1.  Triggers - Neu-trigger for $30 will drop the pull weight and break slightly better.  $100 for the TSM will reduce/remove the travel before break and shorten the reset, with a slight reduction in pull weight.  Those are all that are readily available right now...Giesselle may have something down the road, and the HSM (modified AR bits in an AUG pack) may come up for sale now and then used but $$...may get revived at some point, we'll see.

2.  Brass deflectors - not that I'm aware of, although would love another option.  

3.  Compensators, flash hiders or suppressor adapters?  Mostly no, but you also don't need a comp on the AUG IMO, unless you're truly top 10% in 3 gun or similar competitions.  You can either send the barrel out for re-threading, or buy an adapter - Ratworx has them, sometimes, AFAIK...you can find an AAC 51T or Surefire FH/suppressor mount occasionally..Midway for the AAC 51T FH/mount, and nearly unobtanium for the Surefire one (have one, but didn''t actually expect it to ship...via OpticsPlanet).

4.  Charging handles - it's subjective, but I like both the latest folding GearHeadWorks as well as the mini/micro versions from Manticore.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Awesome!!

I recently bought an AUG too.  So far, I love the thing.  And I'm a lefty.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats!  it is a wicked fun gun.

1.) If you want to crisp and shorten it up - the 2020 is your best bet.  I went with the neutrigger and it was super easy to install and smooth out the trigger but did not lighten it.  Made it a little crisper since it smooth it out it breaks a bit better, but the smoothness is the biggest upgrade from the neutrigger.  Depending on which way you want to go, you can check out both options.

2.) There was a guy here somewhere that made a deflector from some small pieces of wood, but the manticore is a great and cheap option that looks like it is supposed to be there.  I can verify for sure that if you do not have a deflector of some kind, you will take a piece of somewhat hot brass directly on your lips, teeth, or in your nose.

3.) Can't help you there.  I left mine alone, but several of the big muzzle device makers have the thread pattern that will fit an AUG.  If i remember correctly I THINK Ratworx used to make barrel adapters too so you could run any normal AR muzzle device on it.

4.) I almost went with the switchbacks but was just not sure how I would like that.  I run a Gearhead Works charging handle and love it, it sits nice and close to the receiver but sticks up enough to make it easily grabbable and lockable.  Gearhead

Extra Advice:  Not sure how you want to run a sling, but Gearhead also makes a swivel attachment that goes in the takedown slot.  Flexswivel
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1.  Triggers - Neu-trigger for $30 will drop the pull weight and break slightly better.  $100 for the TSM will reduce/remove the travel before break and shorten the reset, with a slight reduction in pull weight.  Those are all that are readily available right now...Giesselle may have something down the road, and the HSM (modified AR bits in an AUG pack) may come up for sale now and then used but $$...may get revived at some point, we'll see.

2.  Brass deflectors - not that I'm aware of, although would love another option.  

3.  Compensators, flash hiders or suppressor adapters?  Mostly no, but you also don't need a comp on the AUG IMO, unless you're truly top 10% in 3 gun or similar competitions.  You can either send the barrel out for re-threading, or buy an adapter - Ratworx has them, sometimes, AFAIK...you can find an AAC 51T or Surefire FH/suppressor mount occasionally..Midway for the AAC 51T FH/mount, and nearly unobtanium for the Surefire one (have one, but didn''t actually expect it to ship...via OpticsPlanet).

4.  Charging handles - it's subjective, but I like both the latest folding GearHeadWorks as well as the mini/micro versions from Manticore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks. I've got a Neu trigger already on the way, but I'll keep the 2020 on my radar either way just in case.

I'm no optic snob, but this particular Holosun optic is actually really nice for the money, and most importantly feels like a great match for my AUG. This is the model with the Eotech like circle dot reticle (that also can be switched to a 2 MOA red dot only), but it's small and lightweight at only 5.6 oz, and the QD mount it comes with is actually pretty decent. 50,000 hrs of battery life and augmented by solar power means this little bastard should last forever, and it's nicely machined and seems to get positive feedback and reviews from what I've seen. It's basically a Primary Arms red dot upgraded with some really cool features, and I don't regret the purchase one bit. It's no Aimpoint I know, but it's a really nice optic nonetheless.

I know the AUG doesn't need a comp, but I like having the option of having one...not to mention my 115 pound wife likes the gun, so I figured she'd appreciate the comp more than me

Quoted:
Awesome!!

I recently bought an AUG too.  So far, I love the thing.  And I'm a lefty.

Thanks. I'm a lefty too, and because of that I've got a Ratworks hybrid lefty bolt on the way. Shooting the gun from my weakside isn't bad, but I prefer shooting lefty.

Quoted:
Congrats!  it is a wicked fun gun.

1.) If you want to crisp and shorten it up - the 2020 is your best bet.  I went with the neutrigger and it was super easy to install and smooth out the trigger but did not lighten it.  Made it a little crisper since it smooth it out it breaks a bit better, but the smoothness is the biggest upgrade from the neutrigger.  Depending on which way you want to go, you can check out both options.

2.) There was a guy here somewhere that made a deflector from some small pieces of wood, but the manticore is a great and cheap option that looks like it is supposed to be there.  I can verify for sure that if you do not have a deflector of some kind, you will take a piece of somewhat hot brass directly on your lips, teeth, or in your nose.

3.) Can't help you there.  I left mine alone, but several of the big muzzle device makers have the thread pattern that will fit an AUG.  If i remember correctly I THINK Ratworx used to make barrel adapters too so you could run any normal AR muzzle device on it.

4.) I almost went with the switchbacks but was just not sure how I would like that.  I run a Gearhead Works charging handle and love it, it sits nice and close to the receiver but sticks up enough to make it easily grabbable and lockable.  Gearhead
http://i.imgur.com/LkMtDC3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8sXVuGC.jpg

Extra Advice:  Not sure how you want to run a sling, but Gearhead also makes a swivel attachment that goes in the takedown slot.  Flexswivel

I've got a Neu trigger on the way, so I'll give it a shot and see how much of a difference it makes. It appears that the 2020 Sear is really the only other option out there, so I'll probably grab one in the future at some point anyway.

Personally I just don't like the way the Brass buster looks and how far it sticks out on the stock, as it seems like it could've been a bit smaller or more compact, but if it's the only option out there, I'll probably grab one of those too lol...

The rifle doesn't need a comp, but it's something I like to have as an option to throw on later since I have a wife that shoots and it helps her out a bit. Since I'm a lefty, the gun so far seems to have a bit more recoil than I feel it should (I've shot Wold Gold and PPU 223 out if it so far), but that's likely because I'm being forced to shoot from my weakside and I'm just not completely used to it yet. I do have a Ratworks hybrid left hand bolt on the way, so I should have it properly setup for me being a lefty soon!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Try moving the optic forward on the rail (at least to where it's centered over the trigger).  This will give you a better field of view when shooting with both eyes open
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1.  All trigger improvements currently available go from unacceptable to just sucks.  There's a thread in the Geissele subforum here at ar15.com - go into and please add your voice requesting he make one for the AUG.  If enough people clamor for it, he just might.

2. In my experience, if you use hot ammo, it tends to naturally eject forward.  The Military Arms Channel video on Bullpups shows what happens when you use weaker ammo, like Wolf Steel (not to be confused with Wolf Gold - which is completely different).

3. No data

4. No data.  

If you have time, go read the So I got an AUG thread, which basically shows the AUG inside and out and a lot of info on things like point of impact with different ammo, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/hoevito/media/20160130_123304_zpsa6yuc4bp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/hoevito/20160130_123304_zpsa6yuc4bp.jpg</a><a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/hoevito/media/20160130_123342_zpsadivimc0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/hoevito/20160130_123342_zpsadivimc0.jpg</a>

3. No data

4. No data.  

le, I really disagree with your take that all available trigger mods for the AUG at this time "go from unacceptable to just sucks".  While the 2020 sear doesn't rival the complete trigger packs for the Tavor from Shooting Sight and Geissele, it's way better than the OEM AUG trigger...and it's a quality piece that won't compromise trigger safety or reliability.  Yes...it would be great if Geissele or Shooting Sight manufactured a pack replacement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top