Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2015 12:52:04 PM EDT
So, I'm trading my AUG A3 tomorrow for a 16" Tavor. I really like the features and usability of the Tavor over the notoriety of the AUG. Even if I won't be able to scream 'HAAAAANS' while watching Die Hard.

Anyway,

I have an AAC 556SD that I use on my 5.56 rifles. I've been reading into how to remove muzzle devices from the Tavor, and found that it is very similar to the AUG with a checknut type system. However; I heard that it is like this because the Tavor doesn't have / has a very small shoulder on it's barrel. I have always been told this is not a good thing for running Suppressors.

I really want to put an AAC 51T Blackout flash suppressor on this rifle before I take it out. Does the checknut work like a barrel shoulder, or am I going to have to do some other 'procedures' to get this to work? I guess it must not be totally impossible since I see a lot of suppressed Tavors in the pic threads...

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Wondering the same thing with my Mini-4...
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wondering the same thing with my Mini-4...
View Quote

After some reading on other forums, it appears that using the factory check nut can cause excessive run out. Someone suggested only using the Blackout flash suppressor since it doesn't need to be indexed.

I've seen plenty of suppressed Tavors, I figured there'd be a bit more input.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an Omega on my Tavor and M16A1.  Before I installed the Trifecta FH on the IWI I called SilencerCo and they said to thread directly on the barrel.  Except for some RockSet that is all there is.

You might want to call AAC just to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It's similiar to the SCAR in that you should use a flash hider indexed to the muzzle and not a brake that must be timed. Waiting for Dead Air FH mounts to hit the streets for mine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll see if I can get ahold of AAC. Hell, I think there's a rep on a FB page I'm on for them.

Quoted:
It's similiar to the SCAR in that you should use a flash hider indexed to the muzzle and not a brake that must be timed. Waiting for Dead Air FH mounts to hit the streets for mine.
View Quote

You already have your Dead Air can? I bought a Sandman L and can't wait for it. That Suppressor is more or less reserved for my 8.5" Blackout build, though. Might get a .308 AR or a M1A SOCOM (love how a Scout / SOCOM looks with a can) when I get my reloading equipment lined out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll see if I can get ahold of AAC. Hell, I think there's a rep on a FB page I'm on for them.

You already have your Dead Air can? I bought a Sandman L and can't wait for it. That Suppressor is more or less reserved for my 8.5" Blackout build, though. Might get a .308 AR or a M1A SOCOM (love how a Scout / SOCOM looks with a can) when I get my reloading equipment lined out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what they come with an indexed A2, so I was talking out of my ass earlier

I'm waiting on an -S, just sent the Form 4 off a week ago so I'm in for a long wait.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I put a 51T with some shims, checked concentricity and started blasting. Blasted so much I couldn't switch out to my saker 762(forgot my mitt!)

I will say I got lots of feedback before I did this.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know what they come with an indexed A2, so I was talking out of my ass earlier

I'm waiting on an -S, just sent the Form 4 off a week ago so I'm in for a long wait.
View Quote

Not really, you can get away with a ton of run out if it's just a conventional muzzle device; however, if it's a muzzle device for a suppressor, run out must be reduced as much as possible. Which requires good threads and a flat shoulder (or crown) to suck up against. If not, the possibility of baffle strikes increases.

I was reading on another Bullpup forum about how the checknut can induce a lot of run out. One such poster saying his ran out .041"

I'm on day 77, little over half way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I put a 51T with some shims, checked concentricity and started blasting. Blasted so much I couldn't switch out to my saker 762(forgot my mitt!)

I will say I got lots of feedback before I did this.
View Quote

Yeah, but you also have a 7.62 can.

The can I'm using with mine is a 5.56 specific can.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I was shooting with my saker 556, then it was too hot to remove barehanded to go to the 762.

When I started putting shims on it took more than one pack. I'm glad I was cheap and bought six or seven because the shipping never changed from midway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use an Omega on my Tavor and M16A1.  Before I installed the Trifecta FH on the IWI I called SilencerCo and they said to thread directly on the barrel.  Except for some RockSet that is all there is.
http://i.imgur.com/rN9RDlB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tbfa56a.jpg
View Quote

Sounds good. Is that the MI extended M Lok handguard on a 16.5 inch?
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:Sounds good. Is that the MI extended M Lok handguard on a 16.5 inch?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.

Great look. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
After checking my setup, 600 rnds suppressed only no problems.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a blackout adapter on my tavor for my SDN-6. Indexed on the barrel rather than the shoulder. Works fine, that's how AAC told me to do it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/rN9RDlB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Tbfa56a.jpg
View Quote

TriggerFish, is that SBR'd? My Tavor is the 18" so everything looks short to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I should read more and post less.
Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.

Do you have an aftermarket top rail on there as well?
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I run my Surefire 212 on mine, installed the flash hider timed with the shims, just like every other rifle.  No problems or baffle strikes so far.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Do you have an aftermarket top rail on there as well?
View Quote

Yes, Gear Head Works full length Razorback.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Solid. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#22]
No nut, just timed mine with shims.

ETA:  Went and actually looked.    I have the nut on there.  No strikes, but also use a 30 cal can.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I run a trifecta flash hider and it is indexed off the muzzle. I did not feel that there was enough shoulder to time a brake and not have any issues
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So I used the factory barrel nut against the shoulder then shims and finally the AAC 51T brake. I havent tested it with my AAC 556SD can because its still in jail. Another month and I should have it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I spoke with an AAC rep on the phone yesterday and he recommended either a Blackout or a Brakeout 2.0 with Rockett and no shims. Lot of you guys are using shims though so I'm not sure what to do...
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I spoke with an AAC rep on the phone yesterday and he recommended either a Blackout or a Brakeout 2.0 with Rockett and no shims. Lot of you guys are using shims though so I'm not sure what to do...
View Quote

Blackout, no shims, indexed on the muzzle, with rocksett.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Call IWI direct and ask for *their* advice.  Or, go with the advice of the people who make suppressors for a living...
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going with this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Unless you have total confidence in your ability to visibly check concentricity,
A bore alignment test rod is a necessity for anyone with concerns about their system.  
They are readily found online.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Just checking in with follow up.

I got the Tavor and immediately removed the factory A2 device and checknut. Then, installed my Blackout 51T with Rocksett letting it suck up against the top of the barrel.

Took it out and didn't have any baffle strikes or an endcap strikes. Works pretty well, except it didn't like one of my Bushmaster mags, it kept having a weird failure to feed on every 3rd round from it. My two cheap RJF GI mags and one Magpul PMAG (Gen 2) worked great.

However, I'm going to have to buy either the Gearworks FLEX or Midwest Industries aftermarket ejection port cover. I've got the apparently common Tavor "gas face". Where excess gas and fouling sprays into your cheek and/or eye.

It's about as worse as a carbine gas AR when suppressed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the Gearhead and still needed to put a rubber band sandwiched between the cover and the rifle skin.  You can see it in my picture.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have the Gearhead and still needed to put a rubber band sandwiched between the cover and the rifle skin.  You can see it in my picture.
View Quote

Anyone have the MI port cover and is it any better?
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the MI Port cover on mine and usually shoot my Tavor suppressed. It made a substantial difference in blowback.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have the MI Port cover on mine and usually shoot my Tavor suppressed. It made a substantial difference in blowback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:26:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I direct mounted a trifecta FH to mine. No problems using my saker on it. I also don't experience the blow back I've heard so much about.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm thinking of adding the same to mine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Unless you have total confidence in your ability to visibly check concentricity,
A bore alignment test rod is a necessity for anyone with concerns about their system.  
View Quote

Had a "gunsmith" install a SF FH on mine and it fails the alignment test with the Geiselle alignment rod.  Wrote IWI numerous times and they never even answer me.  It's the only aspect of this rifle I find f'd up.  Just thread the damn thing to accept the majority of FH/MB without some f-ing Rube Goldberg work around.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Had a "gunsmith" install a SF FH on mine and it fails the alignment test with the Geiselle alignment rod.  Wrote IWI numerous times and they never even answer me.  It's the only aspect of this rifle I find f'd up.  Just thread the damn thing to accept the majority of FH/MB without some f-ing Rube Goldberg work around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did he install it? With the jam nut?
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at his picture you can see a rubber band being squished out from the top of the gearhead cover. Im guessing he needed it to "o ring" seal the gasess that were still leaking out that section.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you look at his picture you can see a rubber band being squished out from the top of the gearhead cover. Im guessing he needed it to "o ring" seal the gasess that were still leaking out that section.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, there is a notch at the top the port.  The rubber should help make a better seal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, as you likely know, you run out of threads on the SF FHs before you bottom out.  I figured using the jam nut was an issue but as it only cost me a few bucks I let it slide with the gunsmith I used and sought a proper solution.  This should be a BOLDED FAQ on the Tavor site, yet they can't even me bothered to reply to email on what's the optimal approach they have determined as the OEM.  
Before shooting it I bough a pair of the alignment rods (5.56 / 7.62) as a precaution.  Only rifle potentially suppressor equipped that failed was my Tavor.  Again, I know a number of people use them with supps but what a PITA to get it done properly or to know what is proper.  It shouldn't be this hard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:34:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I just bought a Tavor and want to run my SF Socom 762Mini on it.  From what I've found on the interwebz it sounds like I can install the flash hider mount and time it properly by using an Accu-Washer and rocksett.  Has anyone else done this?  I also have a 762-SDN-6 I could use with a 51t flash hider that wouldn't need timing and use an Accu-Washer to cover the remaining exposed threads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just bought a Tavor and want to run my SF Socom 762Mini on it.  From what I've found on the interwebz it sounds like I can install the flash hider mount and time it properly by using an Accu-Washer and rocksett.  Has anyone else done this?  I also have a 762-SDN-6 I could use with a 51t flash hider that wouldn't need timing and use an Accu-Washer to cover the remaining exposed threads.

View Quote

I just used the factory jam nut tight it all the way down and used the shims to time it the sf muzzle brake.  That's what surefire recommended for the tavor.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Per AAC's recommendation, I went 51t with Rockset, no washer, no shim. My smith suggested adding a witness mark on the barrel to see if there is any shift.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#45]
If it is 9mm Ratworx makes them with a nice handguard cover called the ZRX; http://ratworxusa.com/search.php?string=ZRX that conceals the suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I just used the factory jam nut tight it all the way down and used the shims to time it the sf muzzle brake.  That's what surefire recommended for the tavor.
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu7/david_ly16/IMG_2383_zpsfa36idwo.jpg
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu7/david_ly16/IMG_2381_zpslmvpfmwi.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll probably do it this way with the Accu-Washers.  For some reason I've had terrible luck with timing shims.  I don't like running more than two on a gun and the Accu-Washers only require one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This what i did with my gemtech
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I found a suppressor support muzzle ring for a Tavor on this site, that I'm considering.

https://www.kbacustom.com/our-products/firearm-accessories/product/37-tavor-muzzle-shoulder-ring.html

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I found a suppressor support muzzle ring for a Tavor on this site, that I'm considering.

https://www.kbacustom.com/our-products/firearm-accessories/product/37-tavor-muzzle-shoulder-ring.html

View Quote

Thanks for posting this.  Hopefully I can unf*ck my rifle now.  It should come with their rifles if they aren't willing to adapt to standard threading length.  I have the alignment rod to check it with and will be back to let all know how it worked out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#50]
So interestingly, I contacted both Silencerco and IWI in regards to how to attach the muzzle device. Specifically, I would like to install a trifecta FH for a specwar 5.56 on my recently purchased tavor, but got two different opinions from each as follows:

Silencerco:
"You will need to remove the jam nut from the barrel of your Tavor prior to installing the Specwar flash hider.  The flash hider can be threaded down to the barrel shoulder and does not have to be timed in any specific orientation."

IWI:
"Generally I would follow any instruction issued by the suppressor manufacturer. Outside of that it is not recommended to back you device up to our barrel shoulder. That is why we use the nut."

Yes. I have read the thread.  IWI basically says follow suppressor manufacturer, but explicitly states that it is not recommended to back it up to the shoulder.  Really don't want a baffle strike. That would be a bad day.

What is the hives opinion?  Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top