Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have $500 or something down with Oakland tactical. The delays aren't bothering me that bad. I don't need the rifle and there is nothing else in the market or even coming with the same features. I have a Srs and it's a sweet shooter.

Taking full deposit upfront and wanting a restocking fee for product that doesn't exist is complete BS though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hate to say it but I would classify it as vaporware also. But you can make up your own definition of a made up word if you want.

va·por·ware
'vap?r?wer/
nounComputinginformal
noun: vapourware; noun: vaporware

software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hate to say it but I would classify it as vaporware also. But you can make up your own definition of a made up word if you want.

va·por·ware
'vap?r?wer/
nounComputinginformal
noun: vapourware; noun: vaporware

software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

Quoted:
Quoted:

If you spent money on something that still doesn't exist in production form a year later, and you can't physically lay hands on a production example, it's vapor ware.  You can argue semantics on it all day but it doesn't change anything.

In this case, yes, I am arguing semantics, because I hate it when my language gets $$&$$$ up by people who mean something else.  Go sue Dessert Tech for breach of contract for all I care- just use a more appropriate phrase to describe the situation.

Yep - been in software and tech for > 20 years, and the definition above is pretty much accepted by anyone with much of a clue - it's vaporware (one word) regardless of state - in design, ALMOST released, whatever - it's the customer's perspective, not someone's wishful thinking or the owners.
See Duke Nukem Forever among others.

Now that hopefully we're done playing games to 'justify' the lateness or squabbling over it's 'actual status' (can't buy one today to put into your hands), the real question is simply how many people will be dropping out of the pre-orders.
I'm in for two and will likely re-evaluate again during early Q1 next year.  
Next up is if anyone does drop, who will go to a lawyer over a 're-stocking fee' for a vaporware/not-shipping rifle, as that's some serious BS, unethical at this point of MUCH delayed shipping, and would be interested to see where a court winds up on that one...or if DT drops that whole nonsense (best option).
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I called and cancelled, the lady on the phone told me that there was no restocking fee for the MDR, I will see what happens when I get the check in a couple weeks(couldnt just put money back on a debit card, due to time since order).  I still am excited for the MDR, but will wait until they are in the gunshops to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I called and cancelled, the lady on the phone told me that there was no restocking fee for the MDR, I will see what happens when I get the check in a couple weeks(couldnt just put money back on a debit card, due to time since order).  I still am excited for the MDR, but will wait until they are in the gunshops to buy one.
View Quote

I sense there is a lot of that going on right now. Maybe they'll learn a lesson from this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Regarding the MDR and potential California buyers:

If you were to purchase an MDR it would not reach you before the new year.  As of right now there is not a California Compliant version of the MDR. We are working towards getting one in compliance with California’s laws and regulations, but it doesn’t look like we will have one before January 1st 2017.

Thank you,

Kipha Henke
Sales / Customer Support
801-975-7272
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you were to purchase an MDR it would not reach you before the new year.  As of right now there is not a California Compliant version of the MDR. We are working towards getting one in compliance with California’s laws and regulations, but it doesn’t look like we will have one before January 1st 2017.

Thank you,

Kipha Henke
Sales / Customer Support
801-975-7272
View Quote

Is this for new orders or for people that pre ordered????
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you,

Kipha Henke
Sales / Customer Support
801-975-7272

Looks like it is for a CA compliant one
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
i pulled out last month. No regerts! Election year paid in full like 10 months ago and to my LGS's credit they gave it all back without a second thought.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I am seriously considering backing out and picking up a Galil Ace 7.62x51 nato instead for my final 308 purchase.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am seriously considering backing out and picking up a Galil Ace 7.62x51 nato instead for my final 308 purchase.
View Quote

I had a Galil AR .308 rifle that I purchased NIB back in the 1990's. I sold it to finance a new Scar 17. That Galil AR was a great rifle. It was very accurate and reliable. The standard capacity 25 rd magazines were nice and all steel. I read about the new Galil ACE and it looks tempting. But, I don't like that stock that looks like a mutant copy of the AR15 collapsing stock (with added folding capability). I would have preferred that they had kept the FN FAL Paratrooper inspired folding stock. That stock was a very solid stock and one of the best features of the FN FAL and the Galil. I prefer a bullpup rifle and will stay with my pre-paid order as the MDR looks like the ultimate bullpup rilfle in .308, at least for my tastes in ergonomics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
They're due for their monthly update here today, maybe it'll bring good news. I really want this rifle to be a thing, but honestly I've kind of lost interest and my funds have went towards other projects that actually exist.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Im in for the monthly excuse.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had a Galil AR .308 rifle that I purchased NIB back in the 1990's. I sold it to finance a new Scar 17. That Galil AR was a great rifle. It was very accurate and reliable. The standard capacity 25 rd magazines were nice and all steel. I read about the new Galil ACE and it looks tempting. But, I don't like that stock that looks like a mutant copy of the AR15 collapsing stock (with added folding capability). I would have preferred that they had kept the FN FAL Paratrooper inspired folding stock. That stock was a very solid stock and one of the best features of the FN FAL and the Galil. I prefer a bullpup rifle and will stay with my pre-paid order as the MDR looks like the ultimate bullpup rilfle in .308, at least for my tastes in ergonomics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on the ACE stock. I prefer a bullpup too but like you I am in the on the pre order early but as the months go by it does start to strain my belief a little especially when a lot of us have been following the product since the start. I'm not giving up yet though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Well the Monthly Update is Here:

November 1, 2016
Dear Valued Customers,
The MDR is in longevity testing and most of the MDR parts have already been transitioned into production.  We expect all parts to be in production within the next few weeks.  Our goal was to get the first batch of MDR's completed in December but a number of small unexpected delays have pushed it into January.  The production ramp-up is expected to be at full capacity by March 2017.  This is the most current information we have and we will alert everyone of any changes.  We will also try to share more insight with you on the MDR's performance during November.  We truly appreciate everyone's patience and support.

Sincerely

Nicholas Young
CEO, Desert Tech, LLC
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got that...pushed back to March. Nice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets be honest with ourselves here.  There is no date and March is just another attempt to ease customer angst.  Really Nick another ambiguous update, I was hoping for a firm delivery date.  Nevermind we have already had a couple of those.

Link Posted: 11/1/2016 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lets be honest with ourselves here.  There is no date and March is just another attempt to ease customer angst.
View Quote

Yep, and if we get an anti-2A president in a week then it's probably March of never ever after.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lets be honest with ourselves here.  There is no date and March is just another attempt to ease customer angst.  Really Nick another ambiguous update, I was hoping for a firm delivery date.  Nevermind we have already had a couple of those.

View Quote

Every month it is pushed another month back. I always psych myself up that this time it'll actually look promising, and every time it looks more like vaporware. I really want the rifle they described, but have mostly lost faith that it'll materialize when told if at all.

I wonder if IWI will make a 7.62 Tavor, or Kel-Tec an RDB 7.62 or if they consider the RFB close enough. Either of those nonexistent products are as likely to materialize as the MDR, and at this rate they could likely design it from scratch and still beat DT out the gate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kel-Tec an RDB 7.62 or if they consider the RFB close enough.
View Quote

Come over to the "dark side" - the RFB is a very nice bullpup IMO.... and you can mostly likely be shooting one this weekend or next.  Not to mention the bugs are worked out of them already....
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I was set on pre-ordering an MDR, but one of my friends used to work at DT and he said knowing the company and how they work, he warned me that it would likely either be delayed or have problems if they pushed it out quickly.  I'm so glad I didn't pre-order.  I will buy one for sure, but it will be in a year or two when they are all sorted out and plentiful on the market.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#21]
People on bullpupforum are saying that the MDR is no longer a sub moa gun, but are being told that it will have battle rifle accuracy or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People on bullpupforum are saying that the MDR is no longer a sub moa gun, but are being told that it will have battle rifle accuracy or something like that.
View Quote

It has me wondering if that isnt what the main hold has been all along.  I mean MAC had a working demo on his youtube channel a LONG time ago, so we know it functions.  I just have to believe that their laundry list of reasons for delay are just convenient excuses to buy more time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not doubting you, but I wonder where this info came from. I get that a semi is often more difficult to make >MOA, but given their consistently great reputation with their bolts I assumed this wouldn't be too big of a holdup.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think they ever claimed it would be *sub* MOA.  The rep I spoke with in February at the Outdoor Show said that it would be *MOA* and was a "battle rifle".  I think part of the twisted panties that I'm seeing is that people are projecting their hopes over and over and after a while those hopes suddenly become fact or real and have nothing to back them up.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think they ever claimed it would be *sub* MOA.  The rep I spoke with in February at the Outdoor Show said that it would be *MOA* and was a "battle rifle".  I think part of the twisted panties that I'm seeing is that people are projecting their hopes over and over and after a while those hopes suddenly become fact or real and have nothing to back them up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recoil magazine January 2016:

Not my picture, you can probably guess who though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#26]
A working demo and a production gun are 2 totally different animals.

A demo just has to function. A production gun has to function for 10000 rounds be beat to hell, safe for the general public, Made to work on reproducible parts by the thousands and not just hand made one off parts.

Quoted:

It has me wondering if that isnt what the main hold has been all along.  I mean MAC had a working demo on his youtube channel a LONG time ago, so we know it functions.  I just have to believe that their laundry list of reasons for delay are just convenient excuses to buy more time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm not doubting you, but I wonder where this info came from. I get that a semi is often more difficult to make >MOA, but given their consistently great reputation with their bolts I assumed this wouldn't be too big of a holdup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've followed that thread on the forum, it's based on Nothing but speculation....there is no credible basis so far that i have seen.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Recoil magazine January 2016:

http://i66.tinypic.com/xbg7ch.jpg

Not my picture, you can probably guess who though.
View Quote

Ah...well...Recoil...sadly, they're about as accurate and well written as gunshop BS.  ;-)
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:52:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Posted today on Facebook:

To all our customers and Fans,
I want to address some of the things that are being discussed amongst many of you:

1) I will be the first to admit that debuting the MDR in Jan 2014 was premature, in hindsight we should have debuted the MDR December 2016. We have absolutely changed our process for future product announcements because I don't want to be in this situation ever again.

2) As I understand, it IWI took 8 years to develop the Tavor, we developed the MDR in 4.5 years. Designing new innovative products takes a lot longer than simply rebranding an AR15. Our time to develop is actually very respectable. We just debuted it before development was done. :(

3) Does MDR work? Absolutely! Is it accurate, you bet it is! We have one chance to make a first impression and that is why development took as long as it did. The MDR's are military grade rifles designed to be smaller, faster, and more versatile than any other rifle on Earth.

4) Those that have committed to Desert Tech by pre-ordering we really appreciate your support and we will be shipping an exclusive T-shirt to you with your MDR, in thanks for your support and loyalty to Desert Tech.

Continued....
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Continued....

5) Those that are upset I understand your frustration, for what it's worth it is very frustrating for all of us at Desert Tech because we are getting bombarded from the marketplace and have the coolest rifle sitting in our laps that we know everyone is going to absolutely love once we get it into their hands.

6) For you Californians we will be doing a featureless MDR. We will also be contacting each of you with some options.

In a nutshell we were too excited to show off our new toy so we did it too soon. We didn't realize that the MDR development would take 1.5 years longer than we estimated. We can't change what happened and we understand that we will continue to get flack for it just know that we are pushing forward very rapidly towards getting MDR's shipped. I hope when the world gets their hands on the MDR's that the smile they get on their faces will have made it worth the wait.

Sincerely

Nicholas Young
CEO, Desert Tech, LLC
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#31]
in other words just like Hillery here is a Tshirt nothing to see here free stuff makes keeping your 2K for a year+ all better.

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
in other words just like Hillery here is a Tshirt nothing to see here free stuff makes keeping your 2K for a year+ all better.

View Quote

In all fairness you haven't seen the t-shirt.  What if it's a really nice shirt?
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think a "I preordered the MDR for a full year and all I got was this T-shirt" t-shirt would be kind of a funny thing to get in retrospect. Then again I'm not one of the ones with 2.25k tied up
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think a "I preordered the MDR for a full year and all I got was this T-shirt" t-shirt would be kind of a funny thing to get in retrospect. Then again I'm not one of the ones with 2.25k tied up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Someone here has to be able to whip that up on photoshop. Also, I dropped out of the MDR group buy, but I do still have interest. Hopefully things go well for us politically and I'll have the option of handling one next year if they're on the shelves.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A demo just has to function. A production gun has to function for 10000 rounds be beat to hell, safe for the general public, Made to work on reproducible parts by the thousands and not just hand made one off parts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm. Based on your definitions, I guess the KelTec RFB that I bought NIB several years ago was not a "production" gun, but, rather a "demo" gun that KelTec sent my dealer by mistake? After about 20 rds it jammed. The problem being the empty shell ejection chute was too narrow and the expanded empty casings were jamming in the chute. KelTec sent me a brand new (still in the white) expanded (wider) ejection chute to replace my defective (brand new) ejection chute in my brand new "demo" (as you would define it) gun.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmm I'm losing faith here...so no free red dot but we do get a free tshirt? They basically used our money to bank roll development (which I am kind of OK with to a degree, i.e. a few months for some extra spit and polish). However the apology is basically not an apology whatsoever.

They really need some help in the PR department, you don't say sorry "but in fairness the Tavor did take 8 years to develop".
A) I understand what they are trying to say, that rifle development takes time
B) However it just seems like a massive excuse and basically that they are saying "see we aren't even as bad as our competition". Which isn't a smart move.
C) The point is irrelevant because as far as I know IMI/IWI wasn't taking preorders for even the civilian Tavor 2 years before it made it to market.

Finally you can all tell us how wonderful your new rifle is but for those of us that have money down the time is coming to put up or shut up. I know on some level that the management team there are convinced that once they get this thing out all of this will be in the distant past but, at least in my limited exposure to other prospective MDR owners and other DT product owners, DT has done irreparable damage to their reputation.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Someone here has to be able to whip that up on photoshop. Also, I dropped out of the MDR group buy, but I do still have interest. Hopefully things go well for us politically and I'll have the option of handling one next year if they're on the shelves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to sound FSA (especially as I haven't even preordered) but I'd think a discount on a caliber conversion or a free/discounted DT red dot would be more in line. I know that costs them more, but if I were them I'd think salvaging the image of the company is worth it. Then again I'm not a stakeholder in their success so I'm admittedly ignorant as to what factors into the T-shirt decision.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Have they waved the "restocking" fee yet?
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep I cancelled my pre order and got a 100% refund
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean the "restocking fee" that No-one was ever charged???....
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Alright DT, take your time....
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One poster at bullpup forum stated he was but then again who really knows if there is truth in that
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#43]
now they know hildabeast lost they can start working on them again :)
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

One poster at bullpup forum stated he was but then again who really knows if there is truth in that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that...he alluded to it...but then said...they asked for it, but never actually charged him
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I remember that...he alluded to it...but then said...they asked for it, but never actually charged him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure I saw someone here saying they'd cancelled and disputed the charge with CC and were getting monthly bills for the restocking fee.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Pretty sure I saw someone here saying they'd cancelled and disputed the charge with CC and were getting monthly bills for the restocking fee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As i understood it, they were never actually charged the restockingmfee though...just the request...i could be wrong
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice spin.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As i understood it, they were never actually charged the restockingmfee though...just the request...i could be wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sending a bill is absolutely*CHARGING* a restocking fee.  Just because he never *PAID* it does NOT mean he wasn't charged it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sending a bill is absolutely*CHARGING* a restocking fee.  Just because he never *PAID* it does NOT mean he wasn't charged it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[Sigh....]
Then don't buy one....i don't really care either way....
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Pardon my lack of search fu and patience to read this whole thread...

Are they available yet?
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top