Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 3:43:59 PM EDT
Are the lower rails on the KSGs still known to break off when using a VFG?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard of 2 documented cases (not just repeats of someone that knows a guy) of that happening and there are over 100,000 KSG's in circulation so I wouldn't exact say they are known for that problem.  I put about 1,800 rounds through mine with no problems using a Magpul vert grip before I decided to put the aftermarket aluminum rail on just for the hell of it.  I still think it would be fine today without it.

Here is a picture of mine with about 1,000 rounds through it before I put the aluminum rail on it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
But didn't the two that were publicized result in serious damage to the shooter's off hand?  I've read in the comments of some of the articles about the injuries that other people had the same issue but were able to refrain from firing.  Changing to a metal rail seems to solve the problem, but I think I'll pass on the KSG just the same and stay with something that has a bit more barrel out front.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But didn't the two that were publicized result in serious damage to the shooter's off hand?  I've read in the comments of some of the articles about the injuries that other people had the same issue but were able to refrain from firing.  Changing to a metal rail seems to solve the problem, but I think I'll pass on the KSG just the same and stay with something that has a bit more barrel out front.
View Quote

Yes in both cases the shooters support hand was shot.  I also know of 6 documented cases where the shooters shot their support hand with SBR's.  Four of those cases were HK MP5K's and two cases were 7.5" AR's.  The bottom line is when you have a weapon of any make that puts your support hand near the muzzle, make damn sure you know where it is before pulling the trigger.

Most of my SBR's are ultra short.  I have a 5" MP5K, 7" AK47, 7.5" 6.8 SPC AR, 4" VZ61, 7.5" XCR, 5" Vector, 4" Micro UZI, & 9" stand alone 40mm.  You can be damned sure I know where my off hand is at all times.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have heard of 2 documented cases (not just repeats of someone that knows a guy) of that happening and there are over 100,000 KSG's in circulation so I wouldn't exact say they are known for that problem.  I put about 1,800 rounds through mine with no problems using a Magpul vert grip before I decided to put the aftermarket aluminum rail on just for the hell of it.  I still think it would be fine today without it.

Here is a picture of mine with about 1,000 rounds through it before I put the aluminum rail on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/DSC00453_zpsd1f797eb.jpg
View Quote
Source of the rail?

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes in both cases the shooters support hand was shot.  I also know of 6 documented cases where the shooters shot their support hand with SBR's.  Four of those cases were HK MP5K's and two cases were 7.5" AR's.  The bottom line is when you have a weapon of any make that puts your support hand near the muzzle, make damn sure you know where it is before pulling the trigger.

Most of my SBR's are ultra short.  I have a 5" MP5K, 7" AK47, 7.5" 6.8 SPC AR, 4" VZ61, 7.5" XCR, 5" Vector, 4" Micro UZI, & 9" stand alone 40mm.  You can be damned sure I know where my off hand is at all times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a big difference between the non KSG cases you mention and the two KSG cases: in the KSG a factory part *failed* during operation.  The other SBR issues were most likely negligence.  I'm not saying there wasn't any negligence in the KSG events, because you're right - you need to know where your hands are before you shoot.  However, we train to build muscle memory and I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that these people trained to fire as soon as the slide slammed home, just like they would on an 870 or 590.  The fact that a *factory* part failed is a big problem.  You don't have the pumping action on a SBR.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Which aluminum rail is the least cumbersome?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]
To be fair, in one of those two KSG cases the plastic rail did not break.  The shooter was using some super-cheesy plastic foregrip that was held in place via a vertical pin and the foregrip broke or slid off the rail.  The Magpul foregrip will not do this as it uses two horizontal metal screws that slot into the rail.

I'm not sure if the rail broke or not in the other case.

This is apparently the grip that was used:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/08/15/man-files-suit-kel-tec-promag-shooting-accident/

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I was comparing my newest Gen KSG with a used (I think Gen 1) and it appears the latest generation has a bit more meat on the rail area.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the rail made by HI-TECHN Custom Concepts.  It is as low profile as they get and nothing is going to break it.  You can find them on their web site, www.HITEC.com
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Are the lower rails on the KSGs still known to break off when using a VFG?
View Quote
The two I am aware of the rail broke, not there grip resulting in the shooters lose of pretty much there entire hand. If memory serves me correct pics with the forward grip broke off were posted with the rail piece shown in it.

Happy thanksgiving
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I was comparing my newest Gen KSG with a used (I think Gen 1) and it appears the latest generation has a bit more meat on the rail area.
View Quote
The other week I was going to pick one up but wasn't sure how to tell the earlier models from the current model? And a quick search on my iPhone while at my LGS I couldn't find what I was looking for, at quick glance is ther a way to tell the gen 1 from the gen2?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Gen 1

Gen 2
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome! Thanks
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why on the shorter barrel AUG's the grip does not fold.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have the rail made by HI-TECHN Custom Concepts.  It is as low profile as they get and nothing is going to break it.  You can find them on their web site, www.HITEC.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I found was electronic crap at that site.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mistake, the web site is www.HITECHCC.com
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]
On it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
So, most people here aren't having problems with their stock rails?

Side note, would a Carlson comp or other muzzle device be worth buying? It seems like it would make it safer if they work as well as I've read.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, most people here aren't having problems with their stock rails?

Side note, would a Carlson comp or other muzzle device be worth buying? It seems like it would make it safer if they work as well as I've read.
View Quote

No most people are not.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top