Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 10:58:10 PM EDT
I have been experiencing rather consistent cases of stuck cases with Wolf .223 in AUG A3. Even if I start with a clean, well lubed gun, after only 60-70 rounds, the case will be stuck hard enough for me having to mortar it.
I have one of the first 1/7" twist barrels. Also my rifle came from the factory without gas rings on the piston and had to go back for that. I am wondering if it's possible I have a tight (.223) chamber or something else?
The same Wolf ammo works fine in my BCM ARs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Most common cause of stuck cases is carbon/fouling build up at the end chamber.  Steel cases do not seal well when fired in the chamber compared to brass.  Have you cleaned the chamber with a chamber brush?  You can also polish the chamber using a barrel mop and flitz.  I put the barrel mop on a short cleaning rod then attach the rod to a hand drill.  You can also put CLP on a chamber brush and spin it in the chamber with a short rod in a hand drill.  Brass brushes are a lot softer than steel and should remove any fouling.  Other than using a different gas setting I guess you could have a tight chamber.  I normally shoot brass cased 223/5.56 and with the price of Wolf Gold brass cased ammo I prefer it over steel cased ammo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Good info in the first reply.

When I had a tavor the only operational problem was a stuck case, Tula steel case .223. Had to hit a cleaning rod with a rock to get it out.

I have had stuck cases from wolf and tula/herters in a 16 and 14.5 Colt AR.

Although I have some AUG'so that have eaten thousands of rounds of steel case ammo with zero problems, I would not be surprised if some of my AUG's that have only seen brass ammo end up getting stuck steel cases.

I also have some 1/7 barrels, but never shot them with steel. But would not be shocked at a stuck steel case in the event I used steel case ammo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot several thousand rounds of the various steel case through the AUG with zero stuck cases. I do clean the chamber with a chamber brush after shooting.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My Aug A 3 works well with steel case Tula with the gas port set to adverse
With the current low price of ammo, you could shoot Wolf Gold brass case ammo for about $6.50
Wolf is good plinking ammo and shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards for me
Tula is $5.49 a box of 20 and shoots much bigger groups

Carbon build up is also a good thought.
I clean my guns every time I shoot them. That keeps a gun running in top condition.
The chamber needs brushing with a bronze or nylon brush especially after shooting steel case ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Setting it to adverse doesn't help and even caused some weird malfunctions with steel case where a spent casing gouged a bit of the plastic at the front of my ejection port.
I don't think that gas port setting would have any effect on stuck cases.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Steel cased ammo from foreign manufacturers is usually assembled with bimetal bullets that have a copper-washed steel jacket. As explained previously the steel case does not expand as much as brass, and the chamber walls can get gummed up from carbon residue.
But long term the worst thing about this ammo is that the bimetal bullet causes premature wear of the barrel. It may be OK in the slower 7.62x39 AK round, but in the speedy 223 this bullet construction plays havoc.

From the Lucky Gunner steel ammo test:

Lucky Gunner Steel Ammo Test
"As indicated by accuracy testing, the steel cased/bimetal jacketed ammunition caused accelerated wear to the inside of their respective bores. While the barrel of the Federal copper-jacketed lead core ammo carbine had plenty of life left, even after 10,000 rounds at extremely high rates of fire, the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels were subjected to the same rates of fire and were completely “shot out” by 6,000 rounds. The steel cases themselves don’t have any effect on the condition of the bore. The difference lies with the projectile – the soft copper jacket of the Federal ammunition simply doesn’t cause the same amount of wear as the bimetal (copper and steel) jacket of the Russian ammunition."

I don't understand why someone buys a Ferrari, then goes to Tijuana to fill up with Mexican gas.

If you are insistent on using steel case ammo, Hornady makes steel cased ammo using their own bullets, but half my AR's choke on this case, and it is not cheaper than regular M193 ammo.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I've noticed that in a lot of cases the fired steel casings will crack/fracture at the top of the neck

Brass is always better

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
It gets stated daily, and today I will state again: considering brass ammo is now available at 30 cents a shot (delivered), there is no reason on the f'ing planet to buy steel at 25 cents a shot (delivered - and only if you shop heavily).  

Especially in an AUG, where new barrels cost $530.  And yes, cheap shit steel cased ammo accelerates gun wear.  It's been tested.  All the BS trying to discredit the Lucky Gunner test is BS.  And by the way, just an aside: WTF Steyr!??  $530 for a BBL???  I can buy a complete AR carbine for the cost of just one AUG bbl!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top