Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 7:31:35 PM EDT
Hi I'm flirting with buying a Tavor and wondering if there are recent or upcoming revisions that I should know about.

I've read about the trigger pack change and the newer OD color but is that all? I'd hate to buy one and then have a newer version release next month. The possibility of sniper grey makes no difference either but I do like some of the custom camo schemes that I've seen.

Does anyone know at what serial number the trigger pack changed? I'm thinking I'll get an 18" with the bayonet lug being a deciding factor.

Thanks for any info
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure how relevant it is to you, but the X95 is expected to drop at the end of this year or first quarter next year (probably a more realistic expectation) so if that piques your interest more then you might want to wait. I've read mixed initial impressions of it so far, so I guess by the time it is actually vetted by the community it will be even farther down on the timeline.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]

The redesign on the trigger pack - was minimal to the point it was irrelevant
to the end user...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure how relevant it is to you, but the X95 is expected to drop at the end of this year or first quarter next year (probably a more realistic expectation) so if that piques your interest more then you might want to wait. I've read mixed initial impressions of it so far, so I guess by the time it is actually vetted by the community it will be even farther down on the timeline.
View Quote

Reading about the x95 revisions, such as the ambi charging handle and the forward placement of the mag release, is what prompted this post. A new full sized model with these features would make all previous versions very undesirable. I've tried to search for answers but found nothing so I thought I should ask the community.

Thanks again

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Reading about the x95 revisions, such as the ambi charging handle and the forward placement of the mag release, is what prompted this post. A new full sized model with these features would make all previous versions very undesirable. I've tried to search for answers but found nothing so I thought I should ask the community.

Thanks again

View Quote

I do agree that the X95 is quite attractive with its features but it seems like it could be a long time to go before we get any solid information or worthwhile reviews of the X95. For what it's worth I think you wouldn't go wrong with the current tavor if you find a good price. It definitely halted my BRD. Now my problem is figuring out how to set up the tavor.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the ambi charging handle. The current version's CH is already ambi. This is unless you mean that it will have a CH present on both sides at once; though I haven't seen any images that suggest this much. The main draw to me for the X95 is the overall reduced profile and the forward magazine release. Apparently I'm the only one complaining about this, but I find the fore end of the current tavor to be too bulky. The X95's fore end is much slimmer and lower profile to the barrel. I think a new hand guard for the SAR that hugged the barrel tighter would make the X95 moot for me, but I know that's not possible without modifying the base chassis. I read somewhere around the internet rumor mill that the non SBR will have an extended hand guard but I can't find verification for that. Some first impressions say that the X95 has improved ergonomics and I've also read that it has poorer ergonomics. There's also a pretty negative review of a select fire model floating around on some other forum but it was a few years ago and perhaps they've ironed out the issues.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I do agree that the X95 is quite attractive with its features but it seems like it could be a long time to go before we get any solid information or worthwhile reviews of the X95. For what it's worth I think you wouldn't go wrong with the current tavor if you find a good price. It definitely halted my BRD. Now my problem is figuring out how to set up the tavor.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the ambi charging handle. The current version's CH is already ambi. This is unless you mean that it will have a CH present on both sides at once; though I haven't seen any images that suggest this much. The main draw to me for the X95 is the overall reduced profile and the forward magazine release. Apparently I'm the only one complaining about this, but I find the fore end of the current tavor to be too bulky. The X95's fore end is much slimmer and lower profile to the barrel. I think a new hand guard for the SAR that hugged the barrel tighter would make the X95 moot for me, but I know that's not possible without modifying the base chassis. I read somewhere around the internet rumor mill that the non SBR will have an extended hand guard but I can't find verification for that. Some first impressions say that the X95 has improved ergonomics and I've also read that it has poorer ergonomics. There's also a pretty negative review of a select fire model floating around on some other forum but it was a few years ago and perhaps they've ironed out the issues.

View Quote

Oh sorry then I misspoke about the charging handle. I read THIS ARTICLE about the x95 and the caption under a picture says "...ambi charging handle semi-auto x95". Plus the rifle is being held RH so I made certain assumptions. I personally would prefer a low profile CH on both sides full time.

Your wording kind of confuses me a little where you say "non sbr model". Are you referring to SAR models? Is anything that says x95 going to be an SBR? While trying to find the answer I read about an x95 chambered in 7.62 ... is this going to be SBR only? Seems like a waste. The only SBR I have have/need is a 300blk.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your wording kind of confuses me a little where you say "non sbr model". Are you referring to SAR models? Is anything that says x95 going to be an SBR? While trying to find the answer I read about an x95 chambered in 7.62 ... is this going to be SBR only? Seems like a waste. The only SBR I have have/need is a 300blk.

View Quote

Hopefully the X95 won't be SBR only. The standard X95 is equipped with a 13 inch barrel, so it would definitely be a SBR.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/NRA-41.jpg

They've been showing off this long barrel version up top along with the standard 13 inch version below so that gives hope for a non SBR model. Obviously these are select fire models for LE and mil so they don't care about length requirements, but some where or other I read that they will bring a non SBR model to the civilian market with a long enough barrel to get past minimum length requirements.

Edit:

Here an IWI rep says non SBR model by the end of the year:
https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=7441.0

More confirmation here:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hiding-in-plain-sight-at-the-iwi-booth-nra-2015/
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#7]
IF the X95 turns out to be GTG AND it is offered in 7.62x51... I will add it to my IWI stable.

IWI stable, so far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh sorry then I misspoke about the charging handle. I read THIS ARTICLE about the x95 and the caption under a picture says "...ambi charging handle semi-auto x95". Plus the rifle is being held RH so I made certain assumptions. I personally would prefer a low profile CH on both sides full time.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading the "this article" it talks about removing the but pad. Can I do that and stay legal?
Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Well damn. I got excited after reading the gunsamerica article with reports of the X95 coming as soon as end of this summer but IWI shit down this rumor HERE and says 1st quarter 2016.

I'm not a collector and already have more guns than I can feed regularly so if I can shake this itch I'd rather wait for the X95 16.5" with its changes. In addition to the mag release, I like the reworked charging handle location, the grip options and the bayonet lug on a 16.5". Also I won't have to worry about picking a color if as I assume black will be the only option . I will say that I prefer the Tavor buttstock and buttpad design.

As for changing the Tavor buttpad I just ran across this article that says it's risky on a 16.5"
https://bullpupforum.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=6322.0

Thank again for everyone's comments. I learned a lot and it cleared up my confusion so I'm glad I asked for help. I was extremely close to buying an OD 18" TAVOR and can now make a more informed decision.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an 18". What is under the pad anyway?
Heading over to bullpup forum.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Manticore pad is GTG.  STILL legal OAL.  Much better ergonomics, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The X95 will be my first SBR, and very likely my second SBR too.  I've been wanting to add an SBR to my stamp collection for some time now, but I have not wanted to chop barrels, etc., and the factory SBRs out there so far haven't been appealing enough.

I was going to pick up a Tavor, was waiting for the initial price hysteria to die down, and then reports started flowing about the X95.  I know I'd love the Tavor, but I also know that once the X95 hits I'd want that too, and would probably lose interest in the Tavor.  I'm pretty patient and I have enough other toys to keep me happy while I wait.  The idea of an oem super tiny packaged 5.56 in a proven platform is just too appealing to pass up.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top