Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 11:29:46 AM EDT
Picked up both my STEYR AUG A3 and a STEYR L-A1 pistol yesterday. The optic is a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 with Vortex 2" offset mount.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Nice

The Steyr pistols I think are very under rated pistols
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#2]
NATO model...I like mine too.  The ability to run all my pmags in several different weapons is well worth it to me.  The only somewhat "dumb" part of the AUG that I felt truly gained that status is the charging handle.  If Steyr just changed the angle a bit to be more akin to the Tavor, it would be fine.  Still, a Manticore Switchback easily addresses that.  It's kind of neat that IWI and Steyr allow one to achieve the "matched set" of pistol and bullpup from the same company if they so desire.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice

The Steyr pistols I think are very under rated pistols
View Quote

I would agree re. the handgun. It truly fits my hand like a glove and the trigger is just about the best out of the box striker action trigger I've ever tried: and I've tried nearly each of them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
NATO model...I like mine too.  The ability to run all my pmags in several different weapons is well worth it to me.  The only somewhat "dumb" part of the AUG that I felt truly gained that status is the charging handle.  If Steyr just changed the angle a bit to be more akin to the Tavor, it would be fine.  Still, a Manticore Switchback easily addresses that.  It's kind of neat that IWI and Steyr allow one to achieve the "matched set" of pistol and bullpup from the same company if they so desire.
View Quote

I didn't go for a "matched set" ... I'd like to think I'm not that much of a gun nut!

: )

Re. charging handle, yup, I bought a Manticore Switchback right away, after using the TAVOR and FN FS2000.

So far, comparing the feel of the STEYR to the TAVOR and the FS2000. It is STEYR all the way. Better feel and balance.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I didn't go for a "matched set" ... I'd like to think I'm not that much of a gun nut!

Re. charging handle, yup, I bought a Manticore Switchback right away, after using the TAVOR and FN FS2000.

So far, comparing the feel of the STEYR to the TAVOR and the FS2000. It is STEYR all the way. Better feel and balance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have owned all three weapons and agree. That's why I only have the Steyr Aug A3. As for the pistol, I'm not familiar with the Steyr. But, if you like striker fired pistols, check out the HK P7M8 or M13. I have a Glock 17, that I really don't like that much, but, the HK P7M8 or M13's striker fired trigger is 1000% better than the Glock. It also has probably the best trigger than any other pistol that I own, other than the Night Hawk Custom 1911 Enforcer pistol I have.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I want an AUG to compliment my steyr scout
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]

As for the pistol, I'm not familiar with the Steyr.
View Quote

I've shot nearly every striker-action available and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the quality, fit and trigger on the Steyer. The trigger is truly superb, right out of the box. It is a night/day contrast to the Glock. The Walther triggers are also excellent, but ... I think the Steyr gets the nod.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Search Google for the Steyr pistols....

Basically an engineer at Glock made product improvements to the Glock and approached the company
who did not see the need for change.

Steyr was looking for a polymer, framed striker pistol.....
It was during the "all LE pistols have to be .40"....
So it was designed from the ground up AS a 40 and not a 9mm bored out to 40, like Glock did

This pistol has probably THE lowest bore axis I have ever held.
Metal mags allow the grip to be slimmer

Think of a target style Glock in terms of ergos
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Basically an engineer at Glock made product improvements to the Glock and approached the company
View Quote

Wilhelm Bubits, he also designed the Bersa BP9cc & the Caracals

Grats on the pair, Steyr only imports when they want to & I couldn't find an L9 around xmas...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Search Google for the Steyr pistols....

Steyr was looking for a polymer, framed striker pistol.....
It was during the "all LE pistols have to be .40"....
So it was designed from the ground up AS a 40 and not a 9mm bored out to 40, like Glock did

This pistol has probably THE lowest bore axis I have ever held.
Metal mags allow the grip to be slimmer

Think of a target style Glock in terms of ergos
View Quote

Very interesting! Innovation always comes about as a commitment to continuous improvement. The STEYR handgun is a good example of it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dooood!...look at your pic.  You're a gun nut.  Like most of us here.  But I think you knew that already...LOL!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Well...but at least I'm not THAT much of a gun nut. I have to keep telling my wife that. OK? :)
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Do what you have to do, but you're a gun nut for sure.
Welcome home!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Big surprise there. Back in the early 1990's one of our firearms officers went off to Glock Armorers school. When he returned, one of the memorable things he learned was that according to Gaston Glock, his pistol was perfect and that any reported issues, problems, mechanical defects were operator error and not the pistol. That bit of arrogance immediately turned me off to his products. I later purchased two HK P7M13 pistols for duty carry. 1000% better pistol in my opinion as far as the trigger and accuracy with the fixed polygonal barrel. Glocks are known for reliability, so are my HK P7M13's. Except that the local police department (large metropolitan PD) had adopted (early 1990's) the new Glock .40 caliber pistol, the 23 if I recall correctly, and they experienced a large number of failure to feed issues. That's what one of their range officers told me. I'm assuming that by now Glock has corrected those "operator error" issues that the 23 was experiencing at the hands of those PD range officers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Big surprise there. Back in the early 1990's one of our firearms officers went off to Glock Armorers school. When he returned, one of the memorable things he learned was that according to Gaston Glock, his pistol was perfect and that any reported issues, problems, mechanical defects were operator error and not the pistol. That bit of arrogance immediately turned me off to his products. I later purchased two HK P7M13 pistols for duty carry. 1000% better pistol in my opinion as far as the trigger and accuracy with the fixed polygonal barrel. Glocks are known for reliability, so are my HK P7M13's. Except that the local police department (large metropolitan PD) had adopted (early 1990's) the new Glock .40 caliber pistol, the 23 if I recall correctly, and they experienced a large number of failure to feed issues. That's what one of their range officers told me. I'm assuming that by now Glock has corrected those "operator error" issues that the 23 was experiencing at the hands of those PD range officers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rather have a gun that I can shoot and find reasonably priced parts and magazines for than one that has magazines that are almost as difficult to find as SIG-550 mags were in the early 2000s.  And my Glocks have never failed except for one time that was due to a deformed piece of brass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
hard to find ?

only 67 listings on gunbroker...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Apparently some people have not heard of this thing called "Google"

:)
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Apparently two readers never realized I was talking about, and even quoted the comments about, the P7M13...

Comprehension FAIL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top