Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2015 9:46:59 AM EDT
I heard AUGs don't suppress well.  Does this just mean they are still loud or is it a reliability issue?

I suppress my guns to eliminate the muzzle flash while using NODs and the noise reduction I achieve isn't a huge concern to me.  I am thinking of cutting my 16" barrel down to 14.5" and perm attaching a muzzle device then running suppressed.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience is just noisy compared to other things.  This is with an AXR, 16" barrel, and Gemtech HALO.  NATO stock doesn't have the left side ejection port cutout so that helps with gas leakage but it was louder than an M4 clone and AK-74 with the same suppressor.  Definitely better than unsuppressed though!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine runs 100% suppressed. Never had a malfunction. It makes a difference but probably isn't as quiet as some other setups. I mean, I'm still shooting supersonic ammo and need ear pro but it cuts way down on the boom. That is to the one shooting. Now I don't have a sound meter but it definitely reduces the sound. If you want to get really quiet, I believe you can shoot subsonic and turn the gas port to 'off' and have a single shot super quiet gun. I didn't set out to make an AUG suppressed but when I found out AAC makes a 51T muzzle device for it threaded specifically for the AUG I thought, why not?

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You can drill a hole in the gas valve to let more gas out so the system isn't over-gassed. One member had a picture showing that he drilled out the adverse setting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can drill a hole in the gas valve to let more gas out so the system isn't over-gassed. One member had a picture showing that he drilled out the adverse setting.
View Quote

Yeah that was me.

Runs 100% now. I can't tell a difference in noise between it and my other rifles as the shooter. However I can say that when I shut the gas off and make it a single-shot, it is definitely quieter and I can shoot it without earpro on outdoors.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah that was me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/rupert42/Guns/smaug11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/rupert42/Guns/smaug8-1.jpg

Runs 100% now. I can't tell a difference in noise between it and my other rifles as the shooter. However I can say that when I shut the gas off and make it a single-shot, it is definitely quieter and I can shoot it without earpro on outdoors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that was me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/rupert42/Guns/smaug11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/rupert42/Guns/smaug8-1.jpg

So it wasn't running 100%? I wonder why mine runs 100% suppressed and yours didn't. I have never even messed with my gas setting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Beats me. Before I drilled it and was running it on the normal setting, I got 4 stovepipes out of 3 mags, which I think was because the bolt was running too fast and catching the brass as it was being ejected. Brass ejection pattern was at like 1 o'clock too. After drilling out the adverse port and switching to that, no malfs at all and the ejection pattern is usually around 2:30 suppressed, 3:30 unsuppressed. Oddly it runs 100% unsuppressed on the drilled out setting still.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
My AUG always ran reliably suppressed, but was way louder than my other 5.56 rifles. Tavor and AR's with 10.5" barrels were much quieter using the same suppressor as the AUG.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
My A3 is 100% reliable with an AAC M4-2k on a 16" barrel. It is noticeably louder (to all parties) than my M4 and 11.5" AR. With the gas setting off/GR, it is noticeably quieter (like a bolt-gun). I'm sure it would be insanely quiet with subsonics, but I've never tried any. I would like to get a dedicated-for-suppressor 14" barrel, so I'm following your barrel-cut-down thread...
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm confused. I thought the extra noise associated with the suppressed AUG was from port noise. Jason Falla suggested to use the adverse setting since it has a smaller port, thus less port noise.

Here's my factory 14"...

http://youtu.be/zh_ncS0fCSY
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I thought the extra noise associated with the suppressed AUG was from port noise.
It is.
Jason Falla suggested to use the adverse setting since it has a smaller port, thus less port noise.
I haven't found that to make any noticeable difference in port noise. Firing suppressed, it definitely makes the system way over-gassed with most ammo though. It's a bit over-gassed on the standard setting as well, but mine has always been fine. No extra recoil or anything negative. TheRat enlarged his adverse port because his was having function problems sometimes. So now it dumps more gas to balance and provide a "normal" gas shove to the piston.

Here's my factory 14"...

http://youtu.be/zh_ncS0fCSY
Very nice!

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
TheRat,
Can you tell me about your Aug, aside from AR mags?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Instead of making the exhaust vent bigger & louder, why not drill a very small inlet vent in the grenade setting? Maybe just enough to get it to cycle suppressed?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
TheRat,
Can you tell me about your Aug, aside from AR mags?

Thanks
View Quote

It's a CQC AUG with a NATO stock, 2020 Precision sear, and a Vortex 1-6 MRAD. Oh and the light on it is a Surefire Ultra Scout. 18" barrel. Shoots as accurately as any of my ARs as long as I'm doing my part. Have used it in local 3-gun matches and done respectably well with it. Downside: it weighs 11lbs empty w/ the can mounted. Good thing for my home gym!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Instead of making the exhaust vent bigger & louder, why not drill a very small inlet vent in the grenade setting? Maybe just enough to get it to cycle suppressed?
View Quote

I was going off of data and info presented to me from an Austrian military guy who explained that that's how current military AUGs are coming. No more adverse port, just a bigger suppressor setting port.

I mean yeah theoretically a small inlet vent would work, but I'd have to figure out where to drill, what size, etc. And I don't think the difference db-wise would be worth it. I mean I have to wear earpro regardless since it's a supersonic round.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you think PJs could get some of these gas plugs with the suppressor setting instead of the grenade setting?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you think PJs could get some of these gas plugs with the suppressor setting instead of the grenade setting?
View Quote

What he said.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Me too!
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Who's calling Pete?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Ran both my augs suppressed for a few years now.  . Never had an issue.. they are not the quietest but quite possibly are  the sexiest...

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Sparks, how did you attach your can?
I'm considering buying that adapter from Ratworx but I could swear I have asked this question and was told it was a bad idea.
I've also heard about the aac adapter but haven't been able to find one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sparks, how did you attach your can?
I'm considering buying that adapter from Ratworx but I could swear I have asked this question and was told it was a bad idea.
I've also heard about the aac adapter but haven't been able to find one.
View Quote

It's available from AAC's website. BLACKOUT 51T Flash Hider AUG

On sale now at MidwayUSA Google is your friend
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks Ted.
Sorry guys, I got the last one.

Would this fit on my msar? I'll check when this one comes. Maybe.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#25]

You can also send a barrel to ADCO and they can turn down the existing threads, and permanently install a 1/2x28 threaded "cap".  This keeps the barrel the same overall length, and you can run the muzzle device of your choice.  

I had them do this to one of my 16" barrels, and also re-profile the barrel to a smaller diameter.  It makes for a somewhat lighter AUG.

I would be in for one of those gas plugs, as well.  Alternatively, anyone know a shop that could drill them, or what the port size specs would be?

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm up for the plug but I already bought the 51T.
I will sleep better by not sending off my aug barrel. Maybe one of my longer ones?

I thought I read that adco had stopped some of their services; how long ago did you have your threads turned?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Ran the Aug all weekend suppressed blasting steal and rock chucks... Preformed flawlessly the ar is arfcom member gun762's blaster

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#28]
While on this topic, does anyone know if someone makes a 13mm X 1.0 LH to 5/8-24 adapter.  I know rat works makes one to a 1/2-28.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Check CNC worrior I would give them a call I bet they could make you one if they don't already have one...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top