Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/21/2015 8:16:23 AM EDT
Just received an email from MSAR officially stating they are shutting their doors. Remaining inventory will be sold off as parts kits and tooling will be offered to qualified buyers......better get your spare parts now......
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Who didn't see this one coming?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Well ...... I guess I'm not surprised since there are so many good bull pups out there. LOTS of competition and i think there internet naysayers took their toll on MSAR reputation. I for one am an advocate of them  - at least the ones I own......
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Crap. I guess I didn't think this day would ever come.
Is ratworx still the best place for repairs on these? And for parts?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well ...... I guess I'm not surprised since there are so many good bull pups out there. LOTS of competition and i think there internet naysayers took their toll on MSAR reputation. I for one am an advocate of them  - at least the ones I own......
View Quote

I am not bashing the rifles, I thought they were cool.

They were also quite expensive as well though and the company made themselves a "One Trick Pony" of sorts.

I think what really killed them was the inevitable proliferation of really cheap AR parts. When it comes down to it a $2300 rifle that really can't easily be modified or suppressed easily is a failure looking for a place to happen in the tactical rifle market.

Cool looks and all aside, they were just never able to be competitive or find a strong enough foothold in their niche market to survive long term.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
It is kinda of hard to compete with an original vs a clone in a small market segment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Cool idea, horrible QC in the execution.  I'd love to see the design and rights sold to someone known for ripping off designs and making them better and cheaper....like Ruger
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad I'm holding a Steyr now instead of the MSAR bag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
My MSAR has been 100% also.. I wonder if the used value will go up now

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Too bad, but the owner did it to himself. They had awesome rifles, great CS that went above and beyond for people. They could have stayed at the top, but his moves took them to the bottom.

I bought my MSAR when AUG's were not readily available. It was the best gun I had ever owned. But they got rid of their top CS people and their QC went down at the same time. Poor QC and no CS to take care of the people with problems was their end. I sold my MSSAR and bought an AUG. I still think the MSAR was a nicer rifle
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too bad, but the owner did it to himself. They had awesome rifles, great CS that went above and beyond for people. They could have stayed at the top, but his moves took them to the bottom.

I bought my MSAR when AUG's were not readily available. It was the best gun I had ever owned. But they got rid of their top CS people and their QC went down at the same time. Poor QC and no CS to take care of the people with problems was their end. I sold my MSSAR and bought an AUG. I still think the MSAR was a nicer rifle
View Quote

That is saying a lot. I have never owned an original but for the various rifles I have I keep going back to my MSAR's.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They were also quite expensive as well though and the company made themselves a "One Trick Pony" of sorts.

I think what really killed them was the inevitable proliferation of really cheap AR parts. When it comes down to it a $2300 rifle that really can't easily be modified or suppressed easily is a failure looking for a place to happen in the tactical rifle market.

Cool looks and all aside, they were just never able to be competitive or find a strong enough foothold in their niche market to survive long term.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, what killed them was exceptionally poor QC, broken promises, and crapping on their customers that had defective items (optics, magazines, trunions, and rifles that just plain couldn't be made to work) and trying to ignore the problems until they were either forgotten about or the customers just gave up.  Then, when they returned to production, they offered a rifle that had all the quirks of the last couple thousand they made *and* came with a stock that wasn't even finished.

They weren't killed by anything other than their own ineptitude.

I'd say RIP, but all I can muster is good riddance, now the shooting community won't have to deal with their excuses and crap anymore.

Yeah...I'm still bitter.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let's refine this a bit Beerswimmer...they had great CS what Dave was running the desk.  He did what he could to smooth out the boils on the pig, but near the end even he couldn't compensate for the management's lack of respect for the customer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah...I'm still bitter.
View Quote

Really can't blame ya.

Still have my STG/E4 and have been thinking of selling it off for the past year or so. Been moving back into my AR's and feeling the love all over again.
Haven't shot the E4 in a long time.

I was very sad to have got the Email from MSAR this morning but I had a feeling that it was coming one day. Lots of stuff never came to market that they were talking about (300Blk for one).

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I am SO glad I never purchased one. I almost bought one of the first gen MSAR "special edition" rifles, but picked up a USR instead once I learned the MSAR wasn't compatible with AUG parts. I still have the USR.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Add to the QC problems, Styer USA releasing the A3 didn't help.  Why buy a potentially problem clone when you can get a factory gun?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the Steyr Aug A3 and a MSAR STG 556 Gen IV both are great rifles

I actually prefer the MSAR over the Aug but as noted the poor management , poor quality control , ruined there reputation

MSAR states they realize there customer is there lifeblood yet they have time and time again let there customers down and finally there closing shop for good.

The STG 556 is a fine rifle if you didn't get a problem gun and mine has been flawless don't let the nay Sayers dissuade you from buying one if you have always wanted one. * I will say avoid early models*

Now if you want product support , great Customer service get a Steyr Aug if you want unlimited parts for the foreseeable future get a AR
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:59:16 AM EDT
[#17]
With the real thing available now I'm not surprised, I like the STG but either way all it will ever be is a knockoff

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#18]
A "knockoff" that even some guys who own AUG's prefer. Hell - even Steyr had to up their game after MicroTech had sold in the ten-thousands rifles.......
Too bad the owner couldn't figure out that  customers truly WERE his lifeblood.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A "knockoff" that even some guys who own AUG's prefer. Hell - even Steyr had to up their game after MicroTech had sold in the ten-thousands rifles.......
Too bad the owner couldn't figure out that  customers truly WERE his lifeblood.
View Quote

Who prefers an MSAR over an actual Steyr?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#21]
News to me as I thought they died years ago.

Have always been afraid to touch one of their rifles.

Have to admit, the 9mm that took Glock mags made me tingly.  If it had come out and worked, I think it would have been a seller.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I have very limited experience but the MSAR is lighter and from the examples I have tried the MSAR trigger is better.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Let's refine this a bit Beerswimmer...they had great CS what Dave was running the desk.  He did what he could to smooth out the boils on the pig, but near the end even he couldn't compensate for the management's lack of respect for the customer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Dave was a HUGE reason that MSAR was doing well. He took care of you and then some. I had a piece break, it didn't affect function, he sent me a new part plus about $300 worth of extra parts  But the QC was going down hill fast,  and when Dave was gone there was no soothing the upset customers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]
my gun from them never ran more than a full mag
without some sort of problem. sent it back 3 times,
it finally ran. i sold it off with peace of mind it was finally right.
im glad they got it running,but it was a huge pita dealing
with them. good riddance. i own an AUG A3 CQC nato, now and
couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What made an MSAR better than an AUG?
View Quote

To me, nicer manufacturing. Fluted barrels, places for rails, rails to go in those places, the stock was nicer to me, different length barrels, special editions came out every now and then, actually trying to innovative with the platform, etc.  Steyr wasn't really selling in the US at the time and were pretty plain Jane. My new M1's stock is terrible compared to my old MSAR.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

To me, nicer manufacturing. Fluted barrels, places for rails, rails to go in those places, the stock was nicer to me, different length barrels, special editions came out every now and then, actually trying to innovative with the platform, etc.  Steyr wasn't really selling in the US at the time and were pretty plain Jane. My new M1's stock is terrible compared to my old MSAR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does it. I'm keeping my Msar, extra stock and mags regardless of whether or not I get a parts kit.

Thanks Beerswimmer!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have two MSAR STG556 bullpups. No problems with either one of them. They do everything I need for several hundred dollars less than an
Aug.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MSAR had nicer manufacturing than Steyr
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree - JWTF ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the nicer manufacturing than a Steyr, what elements do you note that support that?  I'm not asking as a challenge.  I've never seen or handled an MSAR in person and am just curious.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Is this the third or fourth time they've closed their doors?  It's totally for real this time, we swear!

No tears shed.  They still owe me for the XM30 magazine fiasco.  Shoddy business practices turn into shoddy results.  At least my TPD can use Steyr parts!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hardly a surprise.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine has been 100%.   I was lucky.   I have enjoyed it as a gun.    It wasn't the guns that sank the company.  It was the retarded management.    And the fact that they haven't done shit in almost three years.  They burst onto the scene, their offering evolved rapidly, and then they just stopped.    Supposedly they've produced guns within the past year, but I sure haven't seen it.  And I haven't seen anything new from them, or innovative in order to keep them competitive as Steyr got back into the game, and IMI entered the market with the Tavor.

It's too bad.   They could have had a good thing going.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

For one thing, I appreciated the fluted barrel on my E4.   It handles and balances better than my Aug A3.

I also think that the E4 stock was a superior offering to the NATO stock.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Have to admit, the 9mm that took Glock mags made me tingly.  If it had come out and worked, I think it would have been a seller.
View Quote

I'm still bummed that this never saw market.  That was a beautiful concept.    Then I think they started biting off more than they could chew with bottom ejection, etc.    I've been hopeful that at some point Ratworx would pick up the torch, but I'm not sure I ever see it happening.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've got 2 MSAR's, a 16" & 20". Both have been 100%.  If the 9mm had come out I bet it would have been better than the Tavor in 9mm that I have. The ergonomics of the AUG type is a much better fit for me.
View Quote

Especially as a dedicated design, without the extra weight and bulk of a 5.56 conversion.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Especially as a dedicated design, without the extra weight and bulk of a 5.56 conversion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got 2 MSAR's, a 16" & 20". Both have been 100%.  If the 9mm had come out I bet it would have been better than the Tavor in 9mm that I have. The ergonomics of the AUG type is a much better fit for me.

As a Tavor owner and lover, I completely agree.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I have two of them.  Sad to see them go.  I think it was more a management issue than product.  They turned out a few bad rifles and failed to control the backlash.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Not really shocking news but I hope someone buys the tooling amd designs and brings the pistol and PCC along with the regular models back into production with good QC and CS.

I lucked out with mine. Got it when Ratworx was running a sale. I had a sling stud get stuck in the stock and Dave sent me a new stock and spare parts. I even got my stocks fixed with the updated mag catches before they closed up the first time.

Oh well... that's the way life works.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not really shocking news but I hope someone buys the tooling amd designs and brings the pistol and PCC along with the regular models back into production with good QC and CS.

http://i.imgur.com/ZUgRtI0.jpg

I lucked out with mine. Got it when Ratworx was running a sale. I had a sling stud get stuck in the stock and Dave sent me a new stock and spare parts. I even got my stocks fixed with the updated mag catches before they closed up the first time.

Oh well... that's the way life works.
View Quote

If someone does, I hope that they are smart enough to have full compatibility with the Aug, especially on things like barrels.  IMO, that was one of the things that held the MSAR back.  Opening it up to the full aftermarket potential of the original, as well as becoming a source of aftermarket for the original would have increased the desirability of both the rifle and the components.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

On the nicer manufacturing than a Steyr, what elements do you note that support that?  I'm not asking as a challenge.  I've never seen or handled an MSAR in person and am just curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the pic that Miami_JBT posted. You can see the stock has texture in the places where you need it, plus QR holes, plus spots for attaching rails, nicer safety button. Good texture on the charging handle, the bolt release was lower profile than the Steyr one that makes me think I could break it off on accident.  Also you can see the fluted barrel and nice flash hider and nut. The metal on the MSAR is finished nicer too.

Just overall better little touches to the fit/finish. My new Steyr makes my old MSAR seem like a custom upgrade

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I got a great rifle also. I wonder how they are going to bundle their spare parts? I would really like an extra E4 stock and a few critical small parts.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I guess I always assumed(but you know what they say about that)that Ratworx would be the obvious choice, and that they would just wait for the pieces to fall, send out the little old men with the push brooms and wheeled trash cans(just like the cartoons I remember)clean it up and restart it with flying colors.

Oh well. I will go to bed with that thought.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Part of the reason that msar was finished better is that the AUG design was being sold to militaries, while the stg was being sold to individuals.  They did things like the fluting, etc, to try to catch the eye of buyers.  Steyr on the other hand, never really seemed interested in selling to mere civilians.  At least not the AUG.  Just like WW2 Germany however, they had an idiot at the helm who would not let his people do what needed to be done, and tried to micromanage everything to make more money.  In his mind i guess it worked.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Part of the reason that msar was finished better is that the AUG design was being sold to militaries, while the stg was being sold to individuals.  They did things like the fluting, etc, to try to catch the eye of buyers.  Steyr on the other hand, never really seemed interested in selling to mere civilians.  At least not the AUG.  Just like WW2 Germany however, they had an idiot at the helm who would not let his people do what needed to be done, and tried to micromanage everything to make more money.  In his mind i guess it worked.
View Quote

Thank God for that....

As far as the history of MSAR and their departure = No significant loss....
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I guess I always assumed(but you know what they say about that)that Ratworx would be the obvious choice, and that they would just wait for the pieces to fall, send out the little old men with the push brooms and wheeled trash cans(just like the cartoons I remember)clean it up and restart it with flying colors.

Oh well. I will go to bed with that thought.
View Quote

I was hoping for Ratworx to take over also, they did everything the could to keep that boat afloat way back when.

Way back when Ratworx bought up MSAR's inventory put the guns on sale at a good price about half of the Aug if you could find one.
With superior customer sales & service, taking care of  MSAR's hiccups (possibly getting hosed by MSAR in the long run on the stuff they warrantied  just a guess), made parts to replace the weak ones that MSAR dropped the ball on in manufacture quality outside vendors or not....  Not so sure it was design flaws.
Dave was the CS guy at MSAR  doing everything in power  to make things right.   I had hope.

I jumped on the hope train and purchased, had a few small issues got them resolved with Ratworx smooth as silk and one with MSAR required much more effort but got it handled.
Knock on wood mine has been pretty good to date and is grandfathered in as a MI. pistol so I will run it until done.

Then came the moving back and forth from down south, nonpayment to venders, the mag disaster, running off all the good help and the cockblocks by the owner to right anything.
Doomed, in my eyes he had it all and pissed  it away for what ever reasons that went on in his head I will never understand,

I think a really good opportunity for an American made product to be great got pissed away, a real crying shame.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

No way will it go up in value.  MSAR has a pretty lousy reputation, that will kill any resale on their guns.  To be honest, I would be surprised if a person could even get what they paid for their MSAR is they resell it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
No way will it go up in value.  MSAR has a pretty lousy reputation, that will kill any resale on their guns.  To be honest, I would be surprised if a person could even get what they paid for their MSAR is they resell it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait for a panic buy attack. They'll sell big time.

Right around the 2016 Presidential Election.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top