Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2015 6:37:15 PM EDT
Hey guys im gonna order up my first aug as soon as my refund check arrives (in about a week)

I'm uncertain which aug m1 to get. I want to use it for home defense/close quarters/car gun so the shortness or the 16 is appealing but the looks of the 20 is what i like.. The 18 seems like a good compromise but still unsure which route to go.

I'm gonna get a 1.5 optic if that matter most shots will be close around 50 yards or less.

It seems like 16 is the logical choice in black but i do like the od green 20 inch like in die hard... so hard to decide

please post your m1 pics here too i'd like to see more variants especially of the 18 inch in black if someone has it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
18 and you need just the one barrel to do it all.  I got a 16 and a 20, 16 for HD and 20 for hunting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two, both with 18".   Best of both worlds. Get a 18" barrel version, and you will not be disappointed or regret it.    A Steyr Aug with an 18" barrel, is still over 4 " shorter than an AR with a 16.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
What's to decide? Get them all?  (Don't forget the 24" if the bipod ever comes out!)

Start with the 16" - 'pups should be short!

Richard
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
18" OD

Same gun in infrared.  (closest I have to a picture of a black 18")

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The 16" barrel is great indoors and around cramped conditions.

The 20 is still shorter than most AR carbines but gets you better ballistics.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the 16" barrel

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm leaning more towards the 16. Not that the 18 would not be great its just the overall shortness of the aug is what will make this a go to home defense rifle/car rifle/swat entry type gun. (it could be my sbr weapon without a tax stamp)

if i got the 18 or 20 while it's shorter then standard m4 AR. I dont feel it would be wise for me to buy the aug  if it's not 16 as much as i hate saying it, my logic is going over my heart which of course wants to buy the die hard version.)

But a 16 inch very short aug is really what i need. The black 16inch look has been growing on me depending on the angle used in the picture/

Please post more m1 pics if you got em, my mind is not made up until i hit purchase on the gunbroker auction

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my mind is not made up until i hit purchase on the gunbroker auction

View Quote

Check with Pete at PJS Steyr Aug first - his prices are often as good or better as you'll find at auction, and he's a real AUG expert with very well regarded customer service....

Richard
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought mine with the standard 18", I then purchased a 16".

I keep both in the same case, but, I keep the 16" installed. Shorter case, and a very handy size with the 16" on it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Check with Pete at PJS Steyr Aug first - his prices are often as good or better as you'll find at auction, and he's a real AUG expert with very well regarded customer service....

Richard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my mind is not made up until i hit purchase on the gunbroker auction

Richard

Not only that, but you won't have options on gunbroker. Pete can make any combination happen. You won't get that on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Smaller is better

Smaller is better

Make 'em so small we shoot them under our sweater
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my A3 with the 16" from Pete. And later bought a 20" barrel from him just to have.

After shooting both a good bit I prefer the 16" for its compactness.

Both shoot just fine though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
16" is the max barrel length I prefer for all 5.56mm. I don't really see the point of going longer. You don't gain significant velocity to warrant the extra length. I like the fact that my 16" AUGs are about the same OAL as my 11.5" AR15 SBRs with stock collapsed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I have had both, 16 and 18 inch barrels.  I found the 18 inch barrel to be a bit more accurate.  Also I found, for me at least, the 18 barrel more aesthetically visually, and I think it has a better balance/feel in the hands.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]
IIRC reading a long time ago an interview with Eugene Stoner and he claimed 18"-18.5" was the best terminal performance (in shortest barrel length)
for the SCHV's 300m goal.  They went with 20" for either the bayonet or for the extra reliability.

I voted 18" though the 20" is just classic and 16" the 'commando' one.  Really can't miss with any of them,
though smaller / lighter is always nicer to carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top