Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2015 8:04:44 PM EDT
It seams to me that TAVOR is what's hot.

I was so ready to pull the trigger on one.

Not until I saw the M17s556

http://kmarms.com/pictures.html

I really don't like all the plastic of the TAVOR....seems very cheap and overpriced to me.

any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
AUG A3 M1.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AUG A3 M1.
View Quote

Sorry bud, I'm supporting either the US or Israel on this one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I really don't like all the plastic of the TAVOR....seems very cheap and overpriced to me.

any suggestions?

View Quote

Good writeup with lots of detail pics of a Tavor here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3612714/Re:_Tavor_detail_pics_and_wear#Post3612714

The plastic shell on the Tavor is just there to give you something to hold on to and to keep that action sealed against outside dirt and debris. All of the forces are actually taken up the the barrel and receiver insert. For example, the takedown pin goes though the plastic stock and holds the buttplate in position. The same pin also goes through the receiver insert, the polymer buffer at the aft end of the recoil spring guide rod, and the recoil spring guide rod itself. IW used one pin to tie all that together.

The rest of the rifle has similar engineering cleverness. Personally, I like my AUG better, but the Tavor isn't a bad design at all.

AJ
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

any suggestions?

View Quote

Have you ever handled a Tavor? It definitely does not feel cheap.

Another option if you don't mind waiting is the Desert Tech MDR
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Between those two I would go Tavor without even a minuets thought... So far I love mine

The M17 is a old Bushmaster design that has absolutely zero appeal to me, but then again I love plastic so YMMV

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm personally waiting for the Desert Tech MDR. I wanna grab the 19" barrel model in .308. A (hopefully) reliable accurate semi auto .308 with a 19" barrel, ambi everything, and forward eject gives me fierce wood.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AUG A3 M1.

Pretty sure the new AUGs are US made
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
AUG A3 M1.

not all parts, receiver is us made,pretty sure the bbl,plus some other small parts
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

any suggestions?

View Quote

Tavor plastic is not at all cheap feeling. Check the used market if you think it is overpriced. I jumped on a lightly used 18" with sling and compensator for $1500 and it has been worth every penny.

Having said that, I had an AUG airsoft rifle as a kid, and I am really getting the itch to jump on one of those as well.

If you like short and lightweight too, look at the FN PS90. I just picked one up as a gift for my brother for his wedding, but I haven't given it to him yet. Very solid feeling, not "cheap" feeling, even though the whole trigger group is mostly "plastic" (read: polymer).

If I had to only have 1, I'd stick with the Tavor. Fun to shoot, accurate, stock trigger works fine for me, but I am not a trigger snob, I run basic mil-spec triggers in all my AR's and I mostly shoot glock pistols.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Tavor plastic is not at all cheap feeling. Check the used market if you think it is overpriced. I jumped on a lightly used 18" with sling and compensator for $1500 and it has been worth every penny.

Having said that, I had an AUG airsoft rifle as a kid, and I am really getting the itch to jump on one of those as well.

If you like short and lightweight too, look at the FN PS90. I just picked one up as a gift for my brother for his wedding, but I haven't given it to him yet. Very solid feeling, not "cheap" feeling, even though the whole trigger group is mostly "plastic" (read: polymer).

If I had to only have 1, I'd stick with the Tavor. Fun to shoot, accurate, stock trigger works fine for me, but I am not a trigger snob, I run basic mil-spec triggers in all my AR's and I mostly shoot glock pistols.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any suggestions?

I may have to look at the Tavor Closer. I do like it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I've yet to meet anyone who shot my Tavor and didn't like it, especially with the Geissele trigger (a must have upgrade IMO).
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

any suggestions?

View Quote

Back in the day, I could never bring myself to give the $699 the Bushmaster M17 was selling for at the gun shows. I am sure the K&M Arms version is a much better rifle but, for what they want for it, it's not going to happen for me. I purchased a TAVOR a few weeks ago and am very impressed with it so far. I have found nothing "cheaply" made with it so far. The aftermarket parts are growing very fast for the TAVOR also.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Tavor.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Tavor.....

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're looking a an off-brand adaptation of an unsuccessful Bushmaster gun, but the highly successful Tavor seems cheap?

You got a point on the Tavor. I'll just go with the Tavor.

The MDR is the only gun that makes me think I might ever own a bullpup. And that's just to get the shortest 10" SBR possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

any suggestions?

You're looking a an off-brand adaptation of an unsuccessful Bushmaster gun, but the highly successful Tavor seems cheap?

You got a point on the Tavor. I'll just go with the Tavor.

Quoted:
I'm personally waiting for the Desert Tech MDR. I wanna grab the 19" barrel model in .308. A (hopefully) reliable accurate semi auto .308 with a 19" barrel, ambi everything, and forward eject gives me fierce wood.

The MDR is the only gun that makes me think I might ever own a bullpup. And that's just to get the shortest 10" SBR possible.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I went with the Tavor. Next my be the PS90. Thanks for making the best decision. After giving the Tavor another....I liked it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in the same mindset. I've never owned a bullpup before, but I want one. Actually, I want all of them.

I'm simultaneously intrigued and repulsed by the FS-2000. It looks like a clusterf$%k of polymer, but it's the only bullpup I can shoot from the weak side. Strangely enough, people who own them say they're alarmingly reliable, which is good because clearing a malfunction would be a B. The strange thing is that there's no last round hold open, and it only accepts crappy GI style mags, meaning no pmags or lancer L5s. Sometimes I wonder what FN is smoking. I guess that's the consequences of putting a gun factory right next door to Amsterdam, there's bound to be a little contact high...

I've pretty much decided to wait until IWI makes a semi auto version of the X95. AR style controls, Israeli made, accepts good mags, looks totally badass, Geisselle already makes a trigger pack for it. They've been hinting at releasing a civilian version for some time now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Between those two I would go Tavor without even a minuets thought... So far I love mine

The M17 is a old Bushmaster design that has absolutely zero appeal to me, but then again I love plastic so YMMV

View Quote

I agree, Tavor without a blink of decision time -...

The M17 has a unique history. It was originally an Aussie design from the mid 80's.
From what I read, it was tossed into the mix when the Aussies were looking for their new bullpup.
(It didn't do so well).

A friend of mine had one of the original Bushmasters and it was fun to shoot BUT
the receiver gets really hot even after running 30 rounds at a fast rate down the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top