Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Kel-tecs just don't give me an impression of durability; any of them.
Plus, the thing looks like some kid pieced together a plastic model of a rifle, out of leftover parts from other kits.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The short stroke piston design has its drawbacks when compared to the long stroke Tavor.  The Israeli's settled on the well proven long stroke design for reliability.

The multi-lug, rotating bolt lock up system (Stoner) is good, though.
View Quote

Steyr AUG is short stroke, isn't it?  Doesn't seem to be much of a reliability issue with that rifle.  I think there are quite a few quality rifles that use the short stroke design with no issue.  You might be making too general a statement there.  And, I have both a Tavor and AUG, so I'm not particularly biased.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Steyr AUG is short stroke, isn't it?  Doesn't seem to be much of a reliability issue with that rifle.  I think there are quite a few quality rifles that use the short stroke design with no issue.  You might be making too general a statement there.  And, I have both a Tavor and AUG, so I'm not particularly biased.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The short stroke piston design has its drawbacks when compared to the long stroke Tavor.  The Israeli's settled on the well proven long stroke design for reliability.

The multi-lug, rotating bolt lock up system (Stoner) is good, though.

Have to agree the tavor is my go to rifle but I don't think there is anything inherently more reliable about a long stroke vs a short stroke. Plenty of good designs on both. Some people have given short strokes a bad wrap due to piss poor piston conversions for ar15s but other than that there are a bunch of fine short stroke rifles out there.

Anyway I'm interested in the rdb but I'll probably pick up an mdr first and even then I'll probably get the m43 Keltec
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Was the AR-18/180 a short stroke or long stroke action?

Did it fail because of that...?

Just sayin'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The AR-18 & AR-180 are short stroke gas piston rifles.  The reason these rifles failed was to poor manufacturing quality on some examples and the time in which the AR-18 & AR-180 were on the market.  Even though the design of the AR-18 was intended to be cheaper to manufacture the actual selling price was high enough to keep it numbers being sold low.  The shooting public tended to prefer blued steel and wood rifles of larger caliber than the whiz kid AR-15 and AR-180.  Back in the 70's and 80's AR-15 and AR-180 were pretty expensive compared to traditional hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just sayin'...

Forrest
View Quote

The Aug had been a huge success as has the FAL etc etc

Also the ar18 operating system has been built into a myriad of different adopted weapons since then.

Like I said I'm a tavor guy through and through but I'm not going to sit here and say that it's long stroke or nothing in terms of Pistons.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AR-18 & AR-180 are short stroke gas piston rifles.  The reason these rifles failed was to poor manufacturing quality on some examples and the time in which the AR-18 & AR-180 were on the market.  Even though the design of the AR-18 was intended to be cheaper to manufacture the actual selling price was high enough to keep it numbers being sold low.  The shooting public tended to prefer blued steel and wood rifles of larger caliber than the whiz kid AR-15 and AR-180.  Back in the 70's and 80's AR-15 and AR-180 were pretty expensive compared to traditional hunting rifles.
View Quote

That was my point, of course...

And the 'failure' of the British L85 shouldn't be blamed on the AR-18 modeled gas system...

Forrest

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also the ar18 operating system has been built into a myriad of different adopted weapons since then.

Like I said I'm a tavor guy through and through but I'm not going to sit here and say that it's long stroke or nothing in terms of Pistons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin'...

Forrest

True on long vs. short stroke discussion.  My LWRC M6A2-S is a short stroke design, and it is probably one of the best AR's out there.  It's probably more an issue of the rifle quality that's built around either piston stroke design rather than the stroke design itself.  

On Kel-Tec, I've owned a P11 compact 9mm shortly after they were introduced in the mid-90's and carried to this day as a concealed carry gun.  Two-a-year qualifying and just fun shooting with it at my house in the sticks all these years, and it has been totally reliable.  I also own a Kel-Tec P11 5.56.  This almost ridiculous, inexpensive pistol has also been totally reliable.  I may be in the market for the .308 RFB in the future, as I've gotten to play with a friend's RFB and am fairly impressed.  I doubt I'd be too fearful of the new RDB...but already having the AUG and Tavor, I'd be better served by going with the .308 RFB.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And the 'failure' of the British L85 shouldn't be blamed on the AR-18 modeled gas system...

Forrest

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

Glad we agree...and trust me I have first hand experience with the A1 and it's performance so if you are ever curious shoot me a pm lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A bit of non-technical opinions and tit-for tat in this thread,  but a lot of technical discussion too, so I'd like to not have to lock this,  thanks.

AJ
View Quote

sorry AJ. For what it's worth i might do a very non pro review of this vs the Tavor and MDR when i finally get my hands on all three you can watch me fumble around like an idiot with them all.

I'm still not a huge fan of the chamber inspection routine but i'll learn to live with it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Forrest

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forrest

A friend of mine wrote up his experiences with the L85 and I captured them here.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A friend of mine wrote up his experiences with the L85 and I captured them here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forrest

Well, there went any desire of mine to hope for an L85.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top