Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 1:22:12 PM EDT
Seen some old posts about this but didn't know if there is an easy fix now or not. I am shooting steel case, which sounds like where most of the problems are with. Using the pmag that came with it. Mine seems to be short stroking, ejects every time but will not even attempt to feed a round in every 5 or 6th round. Pull the boltull The first thing I hear is don't use steel case but you would think that a battle proven rifle wouldn't be finicky about ammo. My M4's eat everything without a hiccup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact iwi they can probably give you some pointers I can't remember what the issue was the other guy had either but I seem to remember it being a bolt problem. Mine eat steel cased just fine which I know doesn't help you out but at least you know it's not a common problem. I know you said you are trying pmags but do you have any others you can try?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a mag feeding issue
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I emailed them and they hit me back in about :10 min. They said the same thing. I'll try regular GI mag. I hope it isn't the ammo. It's like saying "My rifle will take all kinds of abuse and be reliable. Sand, mud, dunk it in water, but it's picky about ammo"
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul M3 pmags should work.  You might have problems using the older generation pmags.
Also Tavor shouldn't come with pmag from the factory, it should come with CAA magazine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
IWI recently started supplying PMags with Tavors.  If you haven't lubed your Tavor you might try lubing it.  Sounds like the steel case ammo isn't hot enough and the bolt isn't going back far enough to pick up the next round.  If the ammo is under powered you can try fewer rounds in the mag which puts less upward pressure on the bottom of the bolt or less drag on chambering.  

Tavors with hotter ammo eject at 1-2 O Clock whereas weaker ammo is ejected at 3-5 O Clock.  Try some M193 or M855 and see if the Tavor cycles properly.  If it runs on mil spec ammo I think you have an ammo issue.  If it won't run on hotter ammo contact IWI, you may have a gas or other issue.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup...

Russian steel .223 is underpowered...
My early 4 digit Tavor devours it. ... But you can feel the difference between it and
5,56mm

As mentioned IWI has been shipping Tavors with Gen3 PMAGS with windows, for while now....
The U.S. made CAA mags and PMGS count toward 922 compliance... 3 parts

Change mags and shoot some 5.56...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
And I only have the experience of one IWI mag. The one that came with my Tavor. It's junk. I only use it for pictures.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Copm4, you said your earlier model feeds it. Did they increase the recoil spring on the newer ones?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to say it seems to be the Pmags. Took a few old Okay Industries mags out and not an issue at all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a Tavor video on YOU TUBE that specifically deals with FTF.  It mentions specific P-mags issues with the rifle and offers a solution.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seen some old posts about this but didn't know if there is an easy fix now or not. I am shooting steel case, which sounds like where most of the problems are with. Using the pmag that came with it. Mine seems to be short stroking, ejects every time but will not even attempt to feed a round in every 5 or 6th round. Pull the boltull The first thing I hear is don't use steel case but you would think that a battle proven rifle wouldn't be finicky about ammo. My M4's eat everything without a hiccup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

Wow!  I had the same problem with my M4's!  That's why I don't care for the platform.  The steel cased stuff shoots flawlessly in my Tavor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the complete opposite issue with my sub 500 S# Tavor.  Centurion m193 would not lock the bolt back unsuppressed but Silver Bear 223/Fed 193/m855 had no issues.  Suppressed all was well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And I only have the experience of one IWI mag. The one that came with my Tavor. It's junk. I only use it for pictures.
View Quote

I use the stock mag that came with mine and it runs fine. My Tavor is the fde 18" so it may be a newer model.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#15]
MyTavor had the short stroking issues when I first got it, three things I did, upgraded to m3 pmags, cleaned the factory grease off all parts, and relubed the rifle. I had the issues for about 1k rounds, after I did those three things the gun eats anything I feed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top