Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2015 9:03:47 PM EDT
I have three different AR 15s' and two m1A, as well as a Storm in 45 cal. I just picked up an 16 1/8 inch Tavor.  I have not been to the range yet I have been practicing with it never the less.  Did a Sabra upgrade as well as the Manticore handgrip and buttstock conversion.
I think this Tavor will become my favorite real quickly.  

Anyone else finding this to be the case?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.

Added SS trigger, Gear Head Works TMF Scout handguard, Magpul MVG, EXPS and Eotech magnifier.

Love this thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The Tavor with an aftermarket trigger pack is a great rifle. The trigger was always the big negative to bullpups but that's not the case any more with the aftermarket options now available. You've got a reliable and durable 16" barreled carbine that is short and reasonably light weight, very easy to mount optics, and has a good trigger. There's really not much more you can ask for.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The Tavor is a great rifle, however I think my Colt 6945 will always be my "go to" rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Great rifle, shoots well suppressed, just waiting on the funds for a Sabra and the it will find much more time on the range.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have half a dozen AR's in various configurations, a few of which high end makers.

Haven't fired any of them since getting my Tavor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
'member back when the MSAR AUG was the shiznit?  Then the real AUG?  Then the SCAR?  

At the end of the day, most of you will sell the Tavor when it's all said and done.  We're always looking for and loving the newest and "greatest."  Until the next one comes out.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
'member back when the MSAR AUG was the shiznit?  Then the real AUG?  Then the SCAR?  

At the end of the day, most of you will sell the Tavor when it's all said and done.  We're always looking for and loving the newest and "greatest."  Until the next one comes out.

View Quote

Nope. Not here, I'll continue buying other things, but not selling my Tavor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Tavor with an aftermarket trigger pack is a great rifle. The trigger was always the big negative to bullpups but that's not the case any more with the aftermarket options now available. You've got a reliable and durable 16" barreled carbine that is short and reasonably light weight, very easy to mount optics, and has a good trigger. There's really not much more you can ask for.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
My Tavor is my go to rifle now.  I don't have any upgrades to it.  The stock trigger on mine isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like my Tavor but in order for it to become my go to rifle, I'd have to seriously change up my collection.  I have more AR15's than anything else, I shoot them more, and I'm so used to them that using them is second nature.  So an AR15 is still my preference as a go to.

If I had a couple Tavors and mostly shot those...maybe then a Tavor could become the go to rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Since owning my Tavor for just over a year, all my other rifles are mostly collecting dust.

Personally, I have been infatuated with the bullpup concept since I first laid eyes on the Steyr AUG while stationed in Europe, but never found one that really fit what I expected from a rifle, until the Tavor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine hasn't replaced my AR's, but I do like it a lot.  Upgraded the trigger and put a rail on it to bring the height up a little bit made for a nice difference.

Mine wears a 1-6 optic which makes it handy.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL, no.

I own all the pups', the Tavor is still not #1 out of that group, let alone "go to rifle".  it's cool, but better than an AR15, hardly.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LOL, no.

I own all the pups', the Tavor is still not #1 out of that group, let alone "go to rifle".  it's cool, but better than an AR15, hardly.

View Quote

What would you say is the #1 bullpup?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
My experience with a Tavor is handling one in a gun shop for about 10 seconds, I wasn't overly impressed.

Maybe running some drills with one or even just shooting it for a few minutes would change my mind, I don't know.

For now, I'm going to go with 'no'.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Go to? For me - oh yea!

Fully ambidextrous, only 26 1/8" long with a 16.5" barrel, takes STANAG magazines, designed for and used by the IDF, and the list goes on...

I still love my ARs but this thing gets ALOT more play time because its so much fun (especially CQB drills) and it can still easily reach out to 400+ yds. What's not to love.

Kitted out with the Geissele Super Sabra trigger, Midwest Industries ejection port cover & M-Lok hand guard, Seekins Precision flash hider, and a Tango Down Stubby vertical grip.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#17]
No.

I tend to grab one of the lighter rifles in the safe

this usually ends up being an ar or m1 carbine

I sold my tavor awhile back, glad i did
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My Tavor is second only to my M1 Garand in "like to shoot" category, I still shoot my beater AR's because I don't mind eating up the barrels with cheap ammo however

I am however working on keeping a steady stream of M193 available just for fun time shooting with the Tavor.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My experience with a Tavor is handling one in a gun shop for about 10 seconds, I wasn't overly impressed.

Maybe running some drills with one or even just shooting it for a few minutes would change my mind, I don't know.

View Quote

With zero experience, your opinion on it is essentially irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#20]
For me the answer is No. I have a Steyr Aug A3 and purchased a Tavor as a secondary bullpup rifle. After shooting it and learning the handling characteristics I sold the Tavor and kept the Steyr Aug. I don't have any particular go to rifle. I have a SCAR H, Colt AR15, Sig P716 and none of them are the go to rifle in particular. I am looking forward to getting the new Desert Tech MDR when it is finally released. I think this one may be my go to rifle. A reliable 7.62 Nato bullpup rifle that uses 25 rd MagPul magazines as well as X Products 50 rd drum mags. These features would put the MDR ahead of all of my current rifles. But, I would not sell any of the rifles I have left. The Tavor just wasn't a proper fit for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

......well, there is that 10 Seconds.

I love my Tavor...but my GO2 rifles are still my AR'S ...only because that
is where 98% of my training and experience is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Curved buttpad to reduce the length of pull?
Pass for me, Im 6'5" but mine is my go to for sure!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#23]
No. I like the Tavor a great deal and plan on keeping mine, but a good AR is still the better all-around rifle, I believe.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Being that the gas block runs a single, fixed setting, how do they work suppressed?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Negative as a "go to rifle" .   The Tavor is a nice rifle although I like the AUG a lot more.
my 2ents
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL, no.

Steyr AUG...but it's not a go to rifle either.  Mag changes with most bullpups eliminate the tactical practicality of the system.  I have not tried the NATO stock on the AUG yet; maybe those mags will drop free.

I dunneo, I like my Tavor but it's just a collector piece to me.  I find shooting the AUG much more enjoyable and easy to handle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Steyr AUG...but it's not a go to rifle either.  Mag changes with most bullpups eliminate the tactical practicality of the system.  I have not tried the NATO stock on the AUG yet; maybe those mags will drop free.

I dunneo, I like my Tavor but it's just a collector piece to me.  I find shooting the AUG much more enjoyable and easy to handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL, no.

Dis right dere.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dis right dere.

View Quote

.... Is wrong?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I like the AUG more than the current Tavor but my Colt 6920 will be my "Go-To" so far.

With the D.T. MDR coming to light I will have to wait to see if I like it more than the Colt. (doubt it, but you never know)

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Dis right dere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL, no.

Dis right dere.

People can reload when standing with both the Tavor and X95 Tavor 2 pretty quick; just as quick as an AR. Now I've heard that the X95 is clumsy to reload when prone. Anyone do a lot of reloading with their Tavor while prone? Is it clumsier/slower than an AR?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]

I like bullpups, and own the three majors (FS2000, Tavor, and AUG).  I tend to prefer the AUG over the others.  I have tried really hard to love each of them, in turn, more than a plain jane AR, but I will stay with an AR as my primary, "do everything" rifle.

The pups just weigh a damn sight more than a similarly configured AR.

The rifle I tote around most often is a Colt 6520 that I swapped to a flat-top receiver.  With sling, Aimpoint, and BUIS it weighs about 6.25 pounds.  Both the Tavor and AUG start at about 8 pounds before you add anything to the rifle.

I know there all kinds of arguments spouted here about how the weight "disappears", or "it's closer to the body", but 2 pounds is still two pounds if you are hiking, doing presentations in a rifle class all day, etc.

I'm waiting for the "holy grail" of a 7 pound or less bullpup to come along, but until then, it's my Colt for me.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like bullpups, and own the three majors (FS2000, Tavor, and AUG).  I tend to prefer the AUG over the others.  I have tried really hard to love each of them, in turn, more than a plain jane AR, but I will stay with an AR as my primary, "do everything" rifle.

The rifle I tote around most often is a Colt 6520 that I swapped to a flat-top receiver.  With sling, Aimpoint, and BUIS it weighs about 6.25 pounds.  Both the Tavor and AUG start at about 8 pounds before you add anything to the rifle.

I know there all kinds of arguments spouted here about how the weight "disappears", or "it's closer to the body", but 2 pounds is still two pounds if you are hiking, doing presentations in a rifle class all day, etc.

I'm waiting for the "holy grail" of a 7 pound or less bullpup to come along, but until then, it's my Colt for me.

View Quote

The Desert Tech MDR-C supposedly will be 7lbs. It is a SBR though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I will definitely be checking them out when/if they become available.  SBR is fine with me; the waiting just sucks.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:02:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Being that the gas block runs a single, fixed setting, how do they work suppressed?
View Quote

Fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Not yet. I had it for a year and a half and I still choose other firearms as my go-to rifles for now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#36]
lol no

Nice rifle, but won't ever replace AR-15 for majority of users as "Go-To Rifle"
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#37]
The Tavor is my go to rifle.  I own 6 AR's, 2 AK's, an FAL, M1, a bunch of good bolt guns, etc.

My reasons:

Short and fast pointing

Designed as a piston rifle, not an add on to a DI design.  AK long stroke piston w/ Stoner type locking bolt.  The best of both worlds.  No carbon build up/bolt sealing rings as on the AR design.

One hand shouldering is easy

Every bit as accurate as my 16" barreled AR's.

Fast field cleaning design.

Superior off hand ergonomics.

It slings up well with with one or two point ready options.

Charging handle location is more intuitive.  AR is clumsy and awkward in comparison.

Overall, it's a more robust design and looks to be more suitable for harsh environments.

Takes standard M16 magazines.

Proven in combat by the IDF.

YMMV

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No.

I tend to grab one of the lighter rifles in the safe

this usually ends up being an ar or m1 carbine

I sold my tavor awhile back, glad i did
View Quote

same here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Kitted out with the Geissele Super Sabra trigger, Midwest Industries ejection port cover & M-Lok hand guard, Seekins Precision flash hider, and a Tango Down Stubby vertical grip.
View Quote
You forgot to mention that bling on the mag?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#40]
In the 5.56 platform, my Tavor has significantly diminished my interest in shooting AR-15's
But the Tavor has not diminished my interest in Kalashnikovs at all.....7.62x39 and 5.45x39
If there were a Russian caliber Tavor available, I would seriously consider buying one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#41]
I would say bullpups overall are becoming a go to rifle, not just the Tavor. I've got two ARs (both are SBRs) but the Tavor gets much more range time.  I've shot with a member who was a hard core AK lover.  Now he's all about the AUG and Tavor.

Look at other countries combat units, you'll see a bullpup somewhere in the armory.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Bullpups are sweet but ar15 is still the greatest. safety, mag release and bolt release are in the perfect spot, adjustable shoulder thingy for taller people, they are more modular and easier to take apart and build. my 2c
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:08:02 PM EDT
[#43]
'The' go-to rifle? Sounds like it is for some although it's not for me. Not even close. That title is reserved for my Scar 16. Next up would be one of the ARs or the (suppressed, 18-inch .308) RFB.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#44]
"Go to" if you like a compact rifle similar to a SBR in length but with a full 16" barrel & ballistics and no tax stamp.

Its pretty nice for getting in and out of vehicles and confined space use.
Just another rifle in the rack to use depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bullpups are sweet but ar15 is still the greatest. safety, mag release and bolt release are in the perfect spot, adjustable shoulder thingy for taller people, they are more modular and easier to take apart and build. my 2c
View Quote

I like Bullpups but I gotta agree with this line of thinking.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#46]

....as mentioned, LOVE my Tavor...

....but with any weapon in the gun safe it is just another tool.
I just have more training, experience with my AR
(10 years military and 16 years LE)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#47]
A true shtf action?
Whatever rifle I have.
H
HD/SD AR is cheaper than a Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew Pew
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I love my Tavor but it will never replace my ARs. Two different types of rifle. Both have their pros and cons. Wonder bread vs. Matza.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top