Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2014 6:25:53 PM EDT
Hi guys!

So I'm going to be getting an AUG M1 and am interested in knowing your opinions on whether or not the 1.5x or 3x is best? I'd particularly like to find out from those that have them and whether or not they'd have done the same if they had the chance to do it over?

For myself it's primarily going to be a home defense weapon but like the idea of having a longer range optic as well as a mini red dot on top.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you'll be putting a mrd on top, no point in being redundant with a 1x. Might as well get the 3x. I got the 3x because I also plan on putting a mrd on top. Just need to decide which one to buy!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
For me personally, I did not like the 3x.  I ordered one of each, 3x and 1.5x.  Selling the 3x.    Just to me the eye relief was harder to pick up, but that has probably more to do with my eyes.

I found the 1.5x with the larger center circle reticle to be easy to pick up and quick to access. The 1.5x give it a bit of an edge over 1x.  So thus, quicker to see and a bit of magnification as well.

Talking to Pete at Pj-Steyr, it seems the 3x though are much more in demand and way outselling the 1.5x.   But, I like the 1.5x as more traditional and "combat/tactical" in a way.

The set up like states would not be bad either.  Add the trijicon mini reflex on top of the 3x scope, then you get the best of both worlds.

Or you could get a A-3 rail model, then add a Manticore Talon mount and a Burris MTAC scope.  Scope ability, plus a laminated circle reticle that at 1.25x acts as a Reflex.

Of course the nice option with the newer M-1 versions is you can also purchase a short or long rail and swap out the scope for the rail with different optic options.

Now, if you are looking at the weapon as primarily a close quarters/home defense weapon, then I would though go with the 1.5x scope and add a light source on the right side mount.  That is what I am doing.

Or you could order a M-1 version without a scope, and just a rail, for several hundred dollars less and then add a Reflex sight such as a Meprolight 21.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
3X would be my choice - well 4X if they'd gone ahead with that.  I like the 1.5X on the original AUG, but for me when I shoot rifles I tend to want more magnification, so if/when an M1 joins my family it's almost certain to be the 3X version.

Richard
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Fixed 3x is a good all-around magnification for a 5.56 semi-auto. I intend to pick up a Vortex 3X in the near future.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
if your going to use it at 50 yards an under primarily the 1.5x

If you are going to go to the range and occasionally reach out to 100, 200 and if you have decent eyesight 300 yards I'd go with the 3x.

My eyes suck, so I like a magnified optic... personally I thenk 4x is the minimum for the type of shooting I'm currently doing with my bullpup.  And if I had to take a close up shot I use a body point or just keep both eyes open, you can do it ok with a low magnification optic with practice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#6]
3X - no question.  It's low enough that you can CQB pretty quick with it anyway, and if you really want, you can put a $90 Mini Red dot on top.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
are there any pics show the reticles of both the 1.5x and 3x?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Pete's PJ-Steyr page has a pic of the 3x reticle.  The 1.5 reticle is basically the same, except that the center circle is much thicker.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pete's PJ-Steyr page has a pic of the 3x reticle.  The 1.5 reticle is basically the same, except that the center circle is much thicker.
View Quote

Speaking of that, the 1.5X is supposedly a range finder in some ways.  Is the 3X the same, or is the MOA size of it's circle different than the 1.5X?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]
From what I viewed, the size of the  inter circle is the same.  The difference is on the 3x it is a thin lined circle, while on the 1.5x it is a really thick circle.  

But, the 1.5x, based on the old Steyr manual, could be used for range determination, based on the the amount of enemy personnel that covered the circle.  See attached diagram on the post below - down near the end. .

Of course you could use the 3x scope the same way, but the calculations per distance, in terms of how much of the enemy's body covers the circle would change due to the magnification.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=391400
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#11]
3x

1.5x

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
3x is about perfect for all around use.
Ive got an RMR mounted on and the transition between the two excellent.
Just waiting on the new DeltaPointPro to replace the RMR if reviews are good.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#13]
So here's the instructions for a 1.5X sight.  not sure what it is for 3X though...

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm going for the Deltapoint Pro also. Are you going for 7.5MOA? It seems appropriate given the fact that it's for closer ranges.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Neither. Neither the 1.5 or 3X are the best unless you're a traditionalist.

As suggested earlier get a A-3 rail model, then add any of the far more versatile 1-4x or 1-6x short scopes with much better reticles, plus BUIS.

My .02
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As suggested earlier get a A-3 rail model, then add any of the far more versatile 1-4x or 1-6x short scopes with much better reticles, plus BUIS.

My .02
View Quote

Thank you, I was thinking more for the traditionalist type of opinions.

I plan to get a rail also and maybe an ACOG in the future but this is for the more traditionalist setup.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I would get the 3X, if the gun actually included a rail in the box.
I think they are $100+.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Pete sells the rails, $120 for either the shot or the long rail.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would get the 3X, if the gun actually included a rail in the box.
View Quote

$120/$2100 = ~5.7%

So you'd only buy the rifle if it were 6% cheaper???  I don't recall when 6% kept me from buying something I wanted or needed, so I guess props to you for being stronger than I am

Richard
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the 1.5X, I wanted the traditional AUG experience and I thought the 1.5X would be the best all around daily use choice.

With that said I'm intending to get a rail and mount a spare 4X ACOG on it too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#21]
How far do the Austrian military typically shoot with their AUGs?  I thought I remember reading somewhere they shoot at distances up to 500 meters just fine with the 1.5x optic.  I could be wrong about this?  I'm thinking if this is the case, than 1.5x would be more than sufficient for the 5.56mm round.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, or whatever is the largest one they offer upon its release.

Quoted:

I'm going for the Deltapoint Pro also. Are you going for 7.5MOA? It seems appropriate given the fact that it's for closer ranges.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I own an ELCAN (love the optic) and have mounted it on both rails available for the new M1, I still prefer the stock set-up with the factory 3x and a micro-dot on top. The transition is faster, its a lighter setup, has redundancy, and frankly it just looks much better on the platform. I had planned on using the ELCAN as primary and just got the 3x for the retro look and in case it became unavailable at some point, Im glad I got it because after trying both for some time now, the 3x is staying. As much as I love my DR there isn't anything any more 'versatile' about it than the 3x/RMR combo in a practical sense.

Quoted:

My .02
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My .02
View Quote

I have a Burris XTR 1-5 with talon mount.

What you get in versatility will also get a weight penalty +1-2 lbs depending on scope and scope rings/mount.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I've run our local shoot and move rifle match with a TA44 1.5x ACOG and a TA11 3.5x. Either one is fine for most situations, the TA11 is faster for close range work but doesn't help much with target ID. The TA11 is a superb mid range optic, and has enough magnification to help pick out targets. But, it's slower for very close range work and has a more limited FOV, which can hurt you when switching between targets.

If all your shooting is going to be inside of 200 yards the 1.5x (or an Aimpoint) will be just fine. If you're doing a lot of 300 yard+ shooting, I'd go with the 3x.

As usual, everything is a compromise.  

AJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top