Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2014 2:37:02 PM EDT
I like the idea of the Switchback, the mini looks even better sized to me. Anyone using one? Worth the cost?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a switchback micro.  It has about the same amount of area to pull on as the stock charging handle.  I wish I could buy another one for my 9MM AUG.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More Minis and Micros coming, should be in stock January.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a switchback micro.  It has about the same amount of area to pull on as the stock charging handle.  I wish I could buy another one for my 9MM AUG.

More Minis and Micros coming, should be in stock January.

Yes, there is a god!  I should had picked one up when it was available.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Why the mini or micro instead of the full sized version?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I purchased a full sized one the first week they came out. I think it is great, with the hub-bub about the smaller versions I was afraid I blew it and needed to buy another one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Good question, as they are all the same size when folded.  But for some reason some people prefer to have only a one or two finger grip instead of a good three finger grip on the charging handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question, as they are all the same size when folded.  But for some reason some people prefer to have only a one or two finger grip instead of a good three finger grip on the charging handle.

One positive might be less tendancy to bind in the charging handle slot. I'm on my 2nd aftermarket handle (original Manticore CH and then a switchback) and with the switchback the charging handle is extremely hard to pull back if I grab it farther out on the handle. I've tried greasing it, working on my technique to get muscle memory to where I grab it the right way every time, but if I get it wrong it takes two men and a boy to pull the handle back and I have to re-grip and try again. I'm a lefty so I have a lot of shit happening in a reload or to charge the weapon-it's not like I can just reach out and yank on it.

Fixing this problem might mean I keep the rifle... I haven't gotten on well with it yet as I am mostly an AR15 guy. Being able to run it smoothly would go a long way in making it stay in my gun safe.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One positive might be less tendancy to bind in the charging handle slot. I'm on my 2nd aftermarket handle (original Manticore CH and then a switchback) and with the switchback the charging handle is extremely hard to pull back if I grab it farther out on the handle. I've tried greasing it, working on my technique to get muscle memory to where I grab it the right way every time, but if I get it wrong it takes two men and a boy to pull the handle back and I have to re-grip and try again. I'm a lefty so I have a lot of shit happening in a reload or to charge the weapon-it's not like I can just reach out and yank on it.

Fixing this problem might mean I keep the rifle... I haven't gotten on well with it yet as I am mostly an AR15 guy. Being able to run it smoothly would go a long way in making it stay in my gun safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By original Manticore are you speaking of the Raptor? I was curious if the Raptor seemed to bind and be difficult to pull back. You are applying forces in a different direction than with the factory CH. Tryin' to decide on another CH to replace that gosh-aweful factory one. Thanks-
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't recall having the problem with the original Manticore Raptor handle, probably because it is taller than the Switchback.

My hope is that the shorter arms will be made available to existing Switchback owners....
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you having the same trouble with the stock CH?

One of the guys I shoot with is very left handed. He's got so many round through his AUG that he burned the barrel out of AUG#1 after 20 years and is currently working on AUG#2. He runs the stock CH.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One of the guys I shoot with is very left handed. He's got so many round through his AUG that he burned the barrel out of AUG#1 after 20 years and is currently working on AUG#2. He runs the stock CH.

AJ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJ

No, I just wanted to have a lever that is a little longer than stock because the standard lever is pretty small for me to reach for on what is the blind side of the rifle for for a lefty. The original Manticore plastic lever extends out of the receiver so it has a cantilever effect that keeps the attachemt point from binding in the cocking slot. The full length Switchback is nearly impossible to pull back if you grab it by the end and pull straight back. A two finger grip in the middle of the lever has a little more resistance than normal, but if you grab the full handle it works fine.  My hope is that a switchback that is closer to stock length won't have this problem-and shouldn't because it forces you to grab closer to the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Because when you are a lefty, and reaching under a gun like an AUG, you can't see the CH. Maybe there's a better or more efficient way of doing it for me, but none of my AR skills directly translate over and I don't have access to any trainers that offer bullpup instruction in my area that I know of. Rotating the gun CCW and reaching under is the most direct path I can see to the CH.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because when you are a lefty, and reaching under a gun like an AUG, you can't see the CH. Maybe there's a better or more efficient way of doing it for me, but none of my AR skills directly translate over and I don't have access to any trainers that offer bullpup instruction in my area that I know of. Rotating the gun CCW and reaching under is the most direct path I can see to the CH.
View Quote

Seem like you're going the long way round to get to the CH. If you went over the top you'd have to do less rotation and would be able to see the CH too. The left handed guys I know that shoot an AUG rotate the rifle slightly clockwise and go over the top to manipulate the CH.

AJ
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:20:04 AM EDT
[#17]
At the end of the day, it's a charging handle. I should be able to grab it, fold it out, pull it straight back and not have it bind in the cocking slot. I have the binding problem even when I switch and hold the rifle in my right hand and don't grab it right up against the pivot point, so it's not a case of me being some mouth breather that can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. What is the point of a big cocking handle if I have to force myself to grab it close to the receiver like I would if I had the stock charging handle installed? My MSAR has a legitimate cocking problems with the switchback installed-if I have to be careful pulling it back in my basement, what is it going to be like under stress?

And I'm not a YouTube Commando. I'm a rifle guy that always wanted a bullpup and now that I have one that I can shoot as a lefty, I want it to work for me. I can forgive that a company's product has problems once in a while. What I can't forgive, is a company trying to dismissively ridicule me in public in order to distract others from a problem I'm having with their product. I'm not trying to be a dick here and didn't come to the thread to shit on your product-what you are reading is honest customer feedback and the hope that it would be better with the changes to shorter arms.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I agree.  When I see someone reach underneath to run a charging handle (and miss it sometimes) all I can think is that they were watching tactical youtube videos.  Rotated the gun slightly off axis, charge over the top and not only is it just as fast but you can also actually see what you are reaching for and not miss the handle.  I have worked AK's like that for a long time and it works fine, at least for me....
View Quote

The reason for this is that it is better to have the ejection port facing the ground than up, particularly when clearing a stoppage. It is better to perfect the manipulations in one position (ie whilst ejection port is pointing towards the ground) than practice two different ways with one being just to charge the rifle and the other to clear stoppages.

Also, I have to agree with TheOtherDave.. He's a customer and he is giving you feedback. The Japanese consider criticism to be pearls because ultimately customers don't have to give it, they can just talk crap about you behind your back and tell others not to buy your products which may lose you customers..

He's speaking from a left handers point of view, I'm a lefty also and I feel that you would benefit from the opinions of a lefty using your products.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TheOtehrDave,

You are right, and I should have seen this as a customer who needs help.  Please accept my apology, and let's work through this to see if we can get it to run the way you need it to.  

OK, to start, I want to figure out what is causing the issue step by step- whether it is the underhand charging method, the handle in general, or the gun in general.  
View Quote

And this fabulous display of humility is why I'll be a proud Manticore Arms customer.

Great stuff Manticore Arms!
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

TheOtehrDave,

You are right, and I should have seen this as a customer who needs help.  Please accept my apology, and let's work through this to see if we can get it to run the way you need it to.  

OK, to start, I want to figure out what is causing the issue step by step- whether it is the underhand charging method, the handle in general, or the gun in general.  

First step:

1.  How long/how many rounds have been through the gun?

2.  How long/how many rounds do you have through the gun with the Switchback?  Did this issue just start or has it always been this way?

3. Does the Switchback bind if you shoulder the gun right handed and then charge with your left hand (i.e. charge like a righty normally would?)

We had one other gun that the Switchback would bind up, but the gun was brand spanking new.  Some grease in the charging handle slot and some break in and it stopped binding up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At the end of the day, it's a charging handle. I should be able to grab it, fold it out, pull it straight back and not have it bind in the cocking slot. I have the binding problem even when I switch and hold the rifle in my right hand and don't grab it right up against the pivot point, so it's not a case of me being some mouth breather that can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. What is the point of a big cocking handle if I have to force myself to grab it close to the receiver like I would if I had the stock charging handle installed? My MSAR has a legitimate cocking problems with the switchback installed-if I have to be careful pulling it back in my basement, what is it going to be like under stress?

And I'm not a YouTube Commando. I'm a rifle guy that always wanted a bullpup and now that I have one that I can shoot as a lefty, I want it to work for me. I can forgive that a company's product has problems once in a while. What I can't forgive, is a company trying to dismissively ridicule me in public in order to distract others from a problem I'm having with their product. I'm not trying to be a dick here and didn't come to the thread to shit on your product-what you are reading is honest customer feedback and the hope that it would be better with the changes to shorter arms.

TheOtehrDave,

First step:

1.  How long/how many rounds have been through the gun?

2.  How long/how many rounds do you have through the gun with the Switchback?  Did this issue just start or has it always been this way?

3. Does the Switchback bind if you shoulder the gun right handed and then charge with your left hand (i.e. charge like a righty normally would?)

We had one other gun that the Switchback would bind up, but the gun was brand spanking new.  Some grease in the charging handle slot and some break in and it stopped binding up.

The gun has 6-700 rounds they it, maybe 150 to 200 with the raptor installed. It did not have any binding problem with the stock CH or the Raptor. It does bind when shouldering the rifle right handed and charging with the left if it don't grab it close to the cocking slot.

I can try greasing it, my plan was either remake the mounting tab portion that rides in the reciever or to weld the steel welding tab to widen it then coat it with nickel boron because heavy lube hasn't worked so far. I'm a tool and dire maker by trade and understand tolerances and working fits in metal assemblies, I'm wondering if the cocking slot widths are uniform and if the mounting tab that protrudes from the reciever couldn't be a little wider? If I could get a little more bearing area along the slot sides it would help a lot, as it is, the rectangular shape of the mounting tab ends up rubbing on it's corners when an axial load is placed on it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top