Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2014 5:26:54 PM EDT
Subject says it all, more or less.  I really like the TLR-1 HL version, so finally picked one up, and will be doing some night oriented classes coming up.  

I don't particularly want to strap it to the VFG, which I do occasionally run folded up, and while I may at some point swap the VFG for a 2020 or Steyr front rail kit, right now I think this is the best orientation I can find (not glued down yet):

This lets me easily read the light non-remote switch, or the remote, with my trigger finger, to the point I could fire with my hand shifted if I really needed/wanted to, but more typically, I can easily get my support hand finger on it, and control the light while not disturbing the positioning of the gun.

The current plan is to pick up a second remote for it, and then permanently mount one on each stock.

Anyone have other ideas/thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I run the switch on mine on the VFG, with enough slack that I can fold the grip.

I'll take some pics when I get a chance.

AJ
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not, I decided to reach and flip the switch.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
No remote switch for me.
I just reach up with my finger.  
KISS
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
So, I always used a light as a 'momentary' device.  I had a crappy (ebay/China) budget light for a bit, which I more or less used my finger and on/off, but that has some issues:
1.  Using your trigger finger = what do you do when you light something up you intend to shoot?
2.  Leaving the light off, or fully on = not great.

I don't like it on the VFG for the same reason - I want to be able to run the light off (without flipping power to disable the remote switch and turn the light switch to the Off position), or momentary on at will.  I don't see a great way to position this with the VFG.
If I were running the 2020 rail and a stubby VFG, I could use the rail mount for the switch, run a WML, or an offset mount on the front rail where the light tail switch is easily w/in reach, but...I'm not running that way presently.

Still in for other ideas...failing one I like ( ), will probably mount the remote and run it through a night carbine class in a few weeks, and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have lately been experimenting with running completely without the vfg.

I have a surefire dual pressure switch on the side rail.  Gripping with the offhand around the front of the trigger guard similar to a tavor hold.  

So far I like it quite a bit.  The receiver tends to get a bit warm, under extended strings of fire, but I think this is my favorite setup so far to incorporate a light, laser and a switch in a convenient spot.  The heat is nothing a pair of gloves wouldn't handle, so far.

It also saves about 4 ounces of weight by deleting the vfg.

I really struggled to incorporate a light and laser with an intuitive and convenient switch method on the Aug.  The laser is important to me as I use my primary rifle for night shooting under a helmet mounted pls-14.

I can just about mimic the tavor 5 point of contact using this setup, and much prefer it to trying to rubber band a switch onto the vfg.

If anyone is curious, let me know, and I will try to snap a picture to show what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Avslash - definitely, pics, please.

I know some use the VFG 'religiously,' but I routinely shoot similar to what you described, not quite the 'front of trigger guard,' but just slightly forward, cradling the gun in my support hand, not on the VFG.
Knowing this is why I was considering the aforementioned tape switch position, and it's what I'm going with, for now.  I have some night training coming up in a few weeks, so bringing the AUG, and...we'll see, but I can easily engage with my support fingers, or in a pinch, with trigger finger, and meanwhile, it makes a nice rest for my trigger finger when not on the trigger actively.

I could possibly have gone with the flexible switch vs this one, and molded it on the top section of the front of the trigger guard and under the receiver, which would have let me use the VFG and simply 'push a thumb up' to activate, but then I'd have to turn the light itself off for 'norma;' shooting in the 'cradle grip' or I'd likely be activating it.  A shorter length switch, like a small oval, might be ideal, but at least for now, this is pretty natural to me, so will see how it pans out.

If I decide to later swap the VFG at some point for a small rail section, I may reconsider...

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Ran the above steep w/remote in a night training class last night.  
I'm pretty happy with the setup, in particular the remote placement.  Some drills had us running light on full at call of threat, others the flash, shoot, flash, next, etc.
For the 'always on,' maybe not ideal, but I can push my trigger finger forward and down, and the light's on.
The remote switch worked well for everything else.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Front slope of the CQC rail.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Front slope of the CQC rail.
View Quote

Where are you mounting your tape/remote switch?  On the VFG?
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, I took the VFG off. The tape switch is on the front slope of the CQC handguard as shown above.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope, I took the VFG off. The tape switch is on the front slope of the CQC handguard as shown above.
View Quote

Lol - ok, now I actually see it - it blended in nicely.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/sparks556/media/7554779A-2DEE-4410-B6C0-AF007512A26B_zpsyaxexuzk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/7554779A-2DEE-4410-B6C0-AF007512A26B_zpsyaxexuzk.jpg</a>
View Quote

Awesome! I own a Surefire Mini Scout also. Are you a lefty or a righty?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Mini Scout and inner tube for holding the pressure pad on vertical grip. Old school simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top