Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 6:01:51 PM EDT
if so, what are the results?

i asked Steyr about it on their FB page and they said that the only reason that they did a run of 1:7 barrels was because people asked for them and that they haven't found a round that their 1:9 barrels wont stabilize
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 75 grain Hornady bthp bullets in my reloads.  I haven't had a chance to utilize a paper target I can hit football sized rocks at 100 yards with my m1.  Not the best test but it seems to be doing okay.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

Shoots fine.  Groups good enough.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/435616_So_I_got_an_AUG__A3_M1_.html
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
FN has been making so many 1/7 AR15 barrels that it would probably cost more to make the 1/9 twist barrels.  I'll wait for course. Show me where 1/9 twist barrels are preferred to stabilize 75-77grain bullets over the 1/7 twist. Tell the Marines that bullshit. Guarantee they've put more rounds down the pipe than the Austrian military,Steyr and their sycophants.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FN has been making so many 1/7 AR15 barrels that it would probably cost more to make the 1/9 twist barrels.  I'll wait for course. Show me where 1/9 twist barrels are preferred to stabilize 75-77grain bullets over the 1/7 twist. Tell the Marines that bullshit. Guarantee they've put more rounds down the pipe than the Austrian military,Steyr and their sycophants.
View Quote

What's with the "sycophant" crap?  

As to 1/7 - looks like we found what's in your safe.  If you like it, great.  As to the Marines - they already know 1/7 is too fast.  Even the USArmy Marksmanship unit (whom out-shoot everyone), don't use 1/7 to stabilize 80's.   They use 1/8 because 1/7 is too fast for the 75's, 77's and 80 gr match ammo they shoot.  If 1/7 is too fast for the AMU, then it's too fast for me.  Ordinance wants to make sure tracers are stabilized in Antarctica, so they give the grunts 1/7, so that's what they use.  It works in field conditions, rarely will an M4 hit become a miss because of one vs the other.  

As to 1/9 preferred to 1/7 for 75 and 77, not sure anyone was saying that.  Was saying the 1/9 worked pretty good in the AUG with 75s - as expected.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As to 1/7 - looks like we found what's in your safe.  If you like it, great.  As to the Marines - they already know 1/7 is too fast.  Even the USArmy Marksmanship unit (whom out-shoot everyone), don't use 1/7 to stabilize 80's.   They use 1/8 because 1/7 is too fast for the 75's, 77's and 80 gr match ammo they shoot.  If 1/7 is too fast for the AMU, then it's too fast for me.  Ordinance wants to make sure tracers are stabilized in Antarctica, so they give the grunts 1/7, so that's what they use.  It works in field conditions, rarely will an M4 hit become a miss because of one vs the other.  

As to 1/9 preferred to 1/7 for 75 and 77, not sure anyone was saying that.  Was saying the 1/9 worked pretty good in the AUG with 75s - as expected.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS is the bullpup forum. Yes, I've visited the various subforums and read up and keep up. What's in my safe? No. The 1/9 is given entirely too much credit here considering what is in the real world. It has it's place but the AUG is a battle rifle and enemy combatants do have vests. (It is what it is.) The Israelis have properly addressed this with the Tavor. If you want to shoot prairie dogs then the 1/9 is a fine twist to use. Steyr has made a marketing mistake that has and will cost them market share in the US. That's where the sycophant comment comes in. The refusal to acknowledge the obvious.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot Mk262 out of my 16 inch 1/9 twist AUG out to 300 yards and it stabilized perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#7]
this article has some interesting info on the rational of 1:9 vs 1:7 going back to the 80's when the move to M855 was made and also of the accuracy of M855A1 out of both twists

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article.php?id=33727&cat=27&sub=28&q=1
A February 1986 U.S. Army study noted that the M855’s bullet
required a "1:9 twist [which] would be more appropriate for the M16A2
rifle, improving accuracy and reliability.” Multiple studies confirmed
the 1:9-inch twist requirement.

But then a problem arose. The U.S. military’s standard M856 5.56 mm
tracer round was longer, heavier (63.7 grains) and slower than the M855
ball, and simply would not stabilize with a 1:9-inch twist barrel. Thus,
despite it doubling M855 group sizes, the M16A2 (and later, the M4)
specified a 1:7-inch rate-of-twist barrel to stabilize the tracer round.
It remains so to this day. Therefore, M855A1 was test-fired with both
1:7- and 1:9-inch twist barrels, and it was verified that this new
cartridge is consistently more accurate in the latter barrels—as was its
predecessor.

View Quote

The M855A1’s developers have described it as yielding "match-like”
accuracy, which most rifle shooters would define as one minute-of-angle
(m.o.a.), or groups measuring no more than 1 inch at 100 yards. While
the new ammunition has proved more accurate than the green-tipped load
it replaced, testing did not yield match-like accuracy, especially in
the standard 1:7-inch twist-rate found in today’s M4s and M16s. At 100
yards, the best group with a 1:7-inch barrel was 1.62 inches (1.6
m.o.a.). At 300 yards. it similarly fired 1.6 m.o.a. (4.9 inches) and
widened to 1.8 m.o.a. (7.5 inches) at 400 yards. At these same
distances, firing the M855A1 through a 1:9-inch twist barrel reduced
group sizes by approximately half.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

THIS is the bullpup forum. Yes, I've visited the various subforums and read up and keep up. What's in my safe? No. The 1/9 is given entirely too much credit here considering what is in the real world. It has it's place but the AUG is a battle rifle and enemy combatants do have vests. (It is what it is.) The Israelis have properly addressed this with the Tavor. If you want to shoot prairie dogs then the 1/9 is a fine twist to use. Steyr has made a marketing mistake that has and will cost them market share in the US. That's where the sycophant comment comes in. The refusal to acknowledge the obvious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?  How does 1/7 help with body armor?  AP is 62.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

twist rate has nothing to do with armor penetration.  and the 62gr M855/SS109 is not an AP round

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#10]
More heavy group data for you OP (not mine)

From: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=408100
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I know I am new here but I have to point out that the AUG (and AR) is not a 'battle rifle'.  It fires an intermediate cartridge making it an 'assault rifle' or 'sturmgewehr' historically (storm rifle).

From my experience the 1 in 9 does well for many bullets but 1 in 8 is better.  Was 1 in 7 not one of those 'military compromises'?  I could be wrong but if I were planning a .223 AR (or bolt gun) I would pay extra for a 1 in 8 barrel.

From Remingtons Law Enforcement website regarding the Remington model 700P .223 rifle...
“The Model 700P LTR features a fluted 20" barrel and is 1 1/2 lbs. lighter than the standard 26" version. In the .223 Remington chambering, twist has been changed from 1 in 12" to 1 in 9" in order to maximize the ballistic stability of heavier bullets. “

Also if I was firing at 'battle rifle' ranges hopefully I would have something better than a .223/5.56.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know I am new here but I have to point out that the AUG (and AR) is not a 'battle rifle'.  It fires an intermediate cartridge making it an 'assault rifle' or 'sturmgewehr' historically (storm rifle).

From my experience the 1 in 9 does well for many bullets but 1 in 8 is better.  Was 1 in 7 not one of those 'military compromises'?  I could be wrong but if I were planning a .223 AR (or bolt gun) I would pay extra for a 1 in 8 barrel.

From Remingtons Law Enforcement website regarding the Remington model 700P .223 rifle...
“The Model 700P LTR features a fluted 20" barrel and is 1 1/2 lbs. lighter than the standard 26" version. In the .223 Remington chambering, twist has been changed from 1 in 12" to 1 in 9" in order to maximize the ballistic stability of heavier bullets. “

Also if I was firing at 'battle rifle' ranges hopefully I would have something better than a .223/5.56.
View Quote

Really?  
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Really?

Indeed beerswimmer sir!  I have fired 75gr from a 1 in 9 out to 200yd/183m with no problem.
Have you had a negative experience with the 1 in 9 twist rate?
Good day sir.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Really?

Indeed beerswimmer sir!  I have fired 75gr from a 1 in 9 out to 200yd/183m with no problem.

Have you had a negative experience with the 1 in 9 twist rate?

Good day sir.

View Quote

i think he was talking about going into 'battle rifles,' which havent been anywhere in the discussion, and the defining of an 'assault rifle'.  at least thats what the 'really? ' moments were for me

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
^^ This.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Trapped inside due to weather and found these old, 6 years at least, boxes. Can't wait to get a chance and see how they do in the 20" barrel
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#17]
looks like Steyr was right

i was finally able to shoot some 77 gr in my 1:9 AUG-A1...CBC 77gr SMK.  stabilized just fine and groups were slightly better than the 62gr ADI F1 i was shooting

temp was 45 degrees with 10-20 mph winds

two 5 shot groups @ 50 yds...0.8125" ea

one 10 shot group @ 50 yds...1.25"

one 10 shot group @ 100 yds...2.625"

keep in mind, this is with the 1.5x donut sight

the groups with the ADI F1 were larger than usual, so i'm guessing the wind was opening up the groups a bit.  i'll post pics later tonight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top