Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2014 12:36:41 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am getting a new rifle, and I have been looking at the Tavor. I am wondering if there has been any progress on 20inch barrel mods? I haven't really found anything on the internet, the only thread led me here, but It was a pretty expensive proposal with a gun smith having to create a new barrel from scratch. That thread was from June 2013 though, so I am wonder if anything has changed 18 months later.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The question is why?

It's not a match gun, and won't be, even if you replace the barrel.  It's not intended to reach out to 800yd.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You wont see 20" barrels.

16.5" barrels outsell the 18" models almost 10 to 1. In fact, the only reason there is even an 18" barrel model is that is a factory standard length.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

What? The 18" barrel is AWESOME. Bayonet lug!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the 18" model because it was the longest available.  If a 20" came out, I would buy it.  

The .223/5.56mm was created around a 20" barrel, and since the bullpup design allows us to have a short rifle with all the potential a full-length barrel can give, why not make the most of it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought the 18" model because it was the longest available.  If a 20" came out, I would buy it.  

The .223/5.56mm was created around a 20" barrel, and since the bullpup design allows us to have a short rifle with all the potential a full-length barrel can give, why not make the most of it.
View Quote

I understand your desire for a 20" barrel model, as that's the barrel length the military intended for use with the 62g NATO round. I just don't think that the demand is big enough for a 20" model. I have a 16.5" and intend to get an 18" version as well, but have no desire for a 20" barrel bullpup of any manufacture. To me, the overall compactness is one of the desires of the bullpup design. I think that Desert Tech is more likely to offer a 20" bullpup. And it would probably be a heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
20" bullpups are more pleasant to shoot since the muzzle blast is further from your face.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Linear style brakes vent the sound, blast forward

I am looking into a Kies brake for my 16 inch....
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like a 20.  I would buy it before a 16 myself.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You wont see 20" barrels.

16.5" barrels outsell the 18" models almost 10 to 1. In fact, the only reason there is even an 18" barrel model is that is a factory standard length.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
That explains why I couldn't find an 18" when I was looking.  Settled on the 16", and no longer care

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#10]

You can get a 20" for the AUG.

That's what I'm running in mine, and I think I prefer it to the 16"

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not many people bought the 20" AUG barrels, if memory serves.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The original AUG, just like our original M16, had 20" barrels.  But the shorter barrels proved to be much more popular.  If the AUG had the support that other platforms have, i'd probably be trying to get one.  But the UNOBTANIUM that they seem to be made of kind of makes it hard to justify.  At least with the Tavor i have been able to get a few extra parts kits-extractors, etc.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#13]
What do you mean by unobtanium?
I have enough spare parts to build an AUG from nothing.
And for the record every single AUG part is able to be bought, you can't say the same about the favor.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those were the 24" barrels without the bipod, not the 20's.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I understand your desire for a 20" barrel model, as that's the barrel length the military intended for use with the 62g NATO round. I just don't think that the demand is big enough for a 20" model. I have a 16.5" and intend to get an 18" version as well, but have no desire for a 20" barrel bullpup of any manufacture. To me, the overall compactness is one of the desires of the bullpup design. I think that Desert Tech is more likely to offer a 20" bullpup. And it would probably be a heavy barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my point; the bullpup allows for longer barrels in a more compact package, so why take the shorter route?  My 18" Tavor is shorter than my 14.5" AR with its stock collapsed.  It makes me chuckle when people want to SBR a bullpup...what the hell are they thinking?

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What do you mean by unobtanium?

I have enough spare parts to build an AUG from nothing.

And for the record every single AUG part is able to be bought, you can't say the same about the favor.
View Quote
Give it a similar amount of time on the market

Though, if I could find an AUG NATO at a decent price when I have the money, I'd buy one of those, too
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]
What kind of profile are you picturing on a 20" barrel? That could get awful heavy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I would like one as well, a 20" barrel in a 30" package would be pretty attractive.
While an SBR is handy there are always trade offs, that is why we prefer a rifle to a pistol.
Perhaps some day they will invent a firearm with a ten inch OAL that hits like a .50 BMG and recoils like a 10/22 but until then, we will need a  barrel long enough to generate sufficient velocity and a gun heavy enough to control recoil.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would like one as well, a 20" barrel in a 30" package would be pretty attractive.
While an SBR is handy there are always trade offs, that is why we prefer a rifle to a pistol.
Perhaps some day they will invent a firearm with a ten inch OAL that hits like a .50 BMG and recoils like a 10/22 but until then, we will need a  barrel long enough to generate sufficient velocity and a gun heavy enough to control recoil.
View Quote

Sounds like a miniaturized RR to me

(I keep my spare change in some of those milsurp tubes on the left)

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Thanks for all of the replies guys, sorry it took me so long to reply. I am and getting a new rifle from my fiancee for Christmas, and I am going to turn it into a unique build. The idea of a 20" Tavor was interesting to me since I hadn't seen anything about it.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought the 18" model because it was the longest available. If a 20" came out, I would buy it.

View Quote

View Quote

That is my point; the bullpup allows for longer barrels in a more compact package, so why take the shorter route? My 18" Tavor is shorter than my 14.5" AR with its stock collapsed. It makes me chuckle when people want to SBR a bullpup...what the hell are they thinking?

View Quote

This is why I wanted the 20". It would have the same overall length as a 14.5 AR, with the benefit of a 20" barrel. If I get a Tavor, I may have to have one made, or I might just stick with the 18". We will see how it shoots if I get it.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#22]
rumor has it...

http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=6679.0
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess I don't get the rationale behind putting a long barrel on a bullpup.  I had a MSAR E4 with a 20" barrel and traded for a 16".  Shooting at a man-sized steel silhouette at 300 yds off a sandbag using the same optic, ammo, etc. I had the same hit ratio (~2/3) with either barrel.  Bullpups are meant for close to medium range shooting, the biggest benefit coming from indoor scenarios.  Why try to change a weapon used for CQB into a marksman rifle?  4" doesn't add that much velocity (~200ft/sec I think though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but that could cause quite a problem trying to maneuver around indoors.  If you need distance use a 20" AR-15 with an upgraded trigger and optics and a Wylde chamber, or if possible, move up to a larger caliber entirely.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess I don't get the rationale behind putting a long barrel on a bullpup.  I had a MSAR E4 with a 20" barrel and traded for a 16".  Shooting at a man-sized steel silhouette at 300 yds off a sandbag using the same optic, ammo, etc. I had the same hit ratio (~2/3) with either barrel.  Bullpups are meant for close to medium range shooting, the biggest benefit coming from indoor scenarios.  Why try to change a weapon used for CQB into a marksman rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I guess I don't get the rationale behind putting a long barrel on a bullpup.  I had a MSAR E4 with a 20" barrel and traded for a 16".  Shooting at a man-sized steel silhouette at 300 yds off a sandbag using the same optic, ammo, etc. I had the same hit ratio (~2/3) with either barrel.  Bullpups are meant for close to medium range shooting, the biggest benefit coming from indoor scenarios.  Why try to change a weapon used for CQB into a marksman rifle?

Better ballistics is one reason.  The bullpups that are in service with people who are using them as their duty weapons (Austria, Australia, France, the UK, etc.) don't see them as "CQB weapons", they see them as front line infantry rifles.  Where are you getting this idea that they're only meant for close to medium range shooting?  That certainly isn't how they're employed in the real world outside the ARFcom reality zone.

4" doesn't add that much velocity (~200ft/sec I think though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but that could cause quite a problem trying to maneuver around indoors.

It adds enough to be meaningful and if you think it's difficult to maneuver indoors with a 20" AUG, I guess the poor guys who've been using the M-4 overseas for the past thirteen years have only succeeded because they were lucky.  My 20" AUG is about the same length as a 14.5" M4 with the stock collapsed.

If you need distance use a 20" AR-15 with an upgraded trigger and optics and a Wylde chamber, or if possible, move up to a larger caliber entirely.

That's fine if you have the money to "buy both", or simply have a desire to do so.  I don't see a need and I certainly wouldn't use a Wylde chamber on any rifle I owned.  

Before upgrading the hardware, I rather spend the money to upgrade and maintain the software.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I guess I don't get the rationale behind putting a long barrel on a bullpup.
View Quote

The point of a bullpup is not to get a smaller weapon for close quarters, that could be achieved much easier by cutting down the barrel length of a typical carbine.  The whole point of a bullpup is to get rifle length (ex. 20") ballistics out of a carbine length (ex. 14.5") weapon.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The point of a bullpup is not to get a smaller weapon for close quarters, that could be achieved much easier by cutting down the barrel length of a typical carbine.  The whole point of a bullpup is to get rifle length (ex. 20") ballistics out of a carbine length (ex. 14.5") weapon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I don't get the rationale behind putting a long barrel on a bullpup.

its actually 20" ballistics out of a weapon the length of a 10.5" AR

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top