User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have sworn off .308ARs but the .308 MDR is getting under my skin... If nothing else, DT makes very accurate guns.

With a GOP-controlled Congress federal gun control is d-e-a-d for at least the next 2 years and I think you're pretty safe in TN from state-level gun-related buffoonery.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love to get my hands on a MDR 16inch 308!  
When I came across there site some time last year before the Tavor and Aug started to come down in price they figured the price for the 556 was going to be around 2k and the 308 was going to be around 2.5k.  Now they say they are playing around with the numbers and don't know the price yet.  I'm thinking since the price has dropped on the other bullpups they know they need to try to bring the price down somewhat. Tho i'm sure the 308 will probably be at least 2500 if not more.
They said at some point they want to make a conversion kit in 300 blackout, 6.8 and 7.62x39.

The Gen 4 mock up weighs about 8lbs and they want to bring that down.

They are shooting for 4th quarter but don't be upset if they don't make that time frame.  Could be early 2016.  Just hope the retards in office don't try to pass something stupid that would make it hard to get one when the time comes.

I have sworn off .308ARs but the .308 MDR is getting under my skin... If nothing else, DT makes very accurate guns.

With a GOP-controlled Congress federal gun control is d-e-a-d for at least the next 2 years and I think you're pretty safe in TN from state-level gun-related buffoonery.

Is the 308 confirmed as a 16" barrel? I was hoping for some longer options. I was hoping to set mine up as a DMR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is the 308 confirmed as a 16" barrel? I was hoping for some longer options. I was hoping to set mine up as a DMR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love to get my hands on a MDR 16inch 308!  
When I came across there site some time last year before the Tavor and Aug started to come down in price they figured the price for the 556 was going to be around 2k and the 308 was going to be around 2.5k.  Now they say they are playing around with the numbers and don't know the price yet.  I'm thinking since the price has dropped on the other bullpups they know they need to try to bring the price down somewhat. Tho i'm sure the 308 will probably be at least 2500 if not more.
They said at some point they want to make a conversion kit in 300 blackout, 6.8 and 7.62x39.

The Gen 4 mock up weighs about 8lbs and they want to bring that down.

They are shooting for 4th quarter but don't be upset if they don't make that time frame.  Could be early 2016.  Just hope the retards in office don't try to pass something stupid that would make it hard to get one when the time comes.

why isn't 16" enough? I can make consistent hits at 750yds with my 16" MWS and a 1-6 mk6. That said I think they mentioned 18-19" options to get the oal up for Canada and a few other places?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
16" is fine. I just wanted a little more length for some added velocity, i have my 16" tavor in 5.56 i use for a fair amount of shooting I just want something with a longer barrel in 308. Personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]
For the shooting I'll be doing 16" will be perfect.  Probably wont shoot past 200-300 yards.
I thought I read somewhere that they even planed on having a 20 or 21 inch barrel but I can't seem to find it now.
I wonder would there be any difference in shooting a bullpup 800 yards off hand compared to a standard rifle?
I know bullpup maneuver faster around corners.  Would that effect long range shooting?
Never shot my Tavor past 100 yards so just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Never, ever count your chickens before they hatch when it comes to gun control.  That's how we got screwed on the Hughes Amendment.  All it will take is one very high profile event and we're hosed.  Remember how they got the GCA 68 passed?  Sirhan Sirhan whacked Bobby Kennedy.

They will also be offering 19" barrels for those states/countries that require longer barrels or longer overall lengths.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Kfelt... i didn't say the first thing you quoted me as saying but thanks for confirming 19" barrels
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Kfelt... i didn't say the first thing you quoted me as saying but thanks for confirming 19" barrels
View Quote

Here's the relevant graphic from DT's blog post about barrel lengths...

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll also go for the 19" barrel version in .308.

Being out west the extra velocity is a plus. There really is no issue to portability with a slightly longer barrel.  Plus the longer barrel makes more use of the potential of the .308 cartridge.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

FWIW, I personally have had nothing but good experiences with Keltec - numerous guns over numerous years.  Their rep for low production numbers and late delivery is well earned, but quite common in this industry.  They've been around for a LONG time too, so I think it's reasonable to expect service after the sale and long term parts availability.  Lots of guys out there with cool ideas and cool guns, but how many make it?  How long have we been waiting on the SCAR-pup guy?  The MDR looks very cool but it's still vaporware - not so much different than the RFB was.  The RFB took an iteration to get production models which worked (as did, oh say, the R51) so why would one expect the MDR to be different?

2nd gen, proven RFB available today.
1st gen, new MDR available "Real Soon Now".

Remember I was replying to one of multiple postings "wishing" for a .308 bullpup - I'm not saying don't buy an MDR, just pointing out that there *IS* one today (and that the bugs are most likely worked out of it already).

Richard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad it's Keltec

FWIW, I personally have had nothing but good experiences with Keltec - numerous guns over numerous years.  Their rep for low production numbers and late delivery is well earned, but quite common in this industry.  They've been around for a LONG time too, so I think it's reasonable to expect service after the sale and long term parts availability.  Lots of guys out there with cool ideas and cool guns, but how many make it?  How long have we been waiting on the SCAR-pup guy?  The MDR looks very cool but it's still vaporware - not so much different than the RFB was.  The RFB took an iteration to get production models which worked (as did, oh say, the R51) so why would one expect the MDR to be different?

2nd gen, proven RFB available today.
1st gen, new MDR available "Real Soon Now".

Remember I was replying to one of multiple postings "wishing" for a .308 bullpup - I'm not saying don't buy an MDR, just pointing out that there *IS* one today (and that the bugs are most likely worked out of it already).

Richard

FWIW the MDRs are already in the 4th Gen.  Secondly the bugs may very well be worked out of the RFB but it still has one major flaw that it'll never overcome, and that the inability to clear a malfunction in a reasonable manner (which, for me, puts the RFB in the "Range Toy" category).  Also the RFB's recoil is pretty sharp compared to other semi-auto .308s (the HK 91/G3 not withstanding ) .....
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The MDR-C is beautifully short. I'll be buying one of those with the silly long barrel the second they're available and filing the Form 1 the day I pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FWIW the MDRs are already in the 4th Gen.  
View Quote

Sorry, prototypes don't count as generations!  You think Kel-Tec had no RFB prototypes before production? You think there were no R-51 prototypes before production?

Production is where the bugs really arise as that's where stacking tolerances and odd combinations of tolerances start showing up, its at production that you find out your widget maker doesn't hold the tolerances he said he could, or that your gizmo operator can too easily overdo the frambulation step and make a whatsit that fails after a few thousand cycles, etc, etc, etc....  If MDR gets to 4 true production generations, it'll either be the most successful 'pup ever or the poster child for small manufacturer failage!

Again, I wish MDR nothing but the best, but I temper that with a strong dose of reality for early adopters!

Richard
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I hope they get these out soon, I was thinking this would be an awesome suppressed hunting gun and was hoping for some real world reviews before then.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I read somewhere they were supposed to start their advertising campaign this month. They have been quiet on fb with teasers and stuff. I'm hopeful it will be well worth the wait.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hope they get these out soon, I was thinking this would be an awesome suppressed hunting gun and was hoping for some real world reviews before then.
View Quote

My thoughts as well. The 16" 308 or 10.5" blk would probably take the place of my blk sbr for night hunting pigs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My thoughts as well. The 16" 308 or 10.5" blk would probably take the place of my blk sbr for night hunting pigs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking the 16" 308 will make a nice bear gun and if I didn't archery hunt I would use it for deer as well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd be all over the .308 bullpup 16"
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd be all over the .308 bullpup 16"
View Quote

Ditto.  I may jump on a group buy (pricepoint pending) bc I love a compact rifle
Watching with interest, that's for sure.

Hoping for a Tavor 308 too though
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
So will the MDR-C only be available in 5.56 and other similar chamberings?  It looks like the same chassis just shortened so a .308 cut down could fit, but I'm just not sure, anyone have any info on that?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a lot to be said for the Aug and Tavor, they both have extensive field usage, this MDR? not at all?
Plus Keltec is busy building helicopters and their firearms division is just a second thought.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is a lot to be said for the Aug and Tavor, they both have extensive field usage, this MDR? not at all?
Plus Keltec is busy building helicopters and their firearms division is just a second thought.
View Quote

the MDR isn't Keltec is Desert Tech who have an outstanding rifle line... I own a Tavor and love it but i'm still eager to pick one of these up
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So will the MDR-C only be available in 5.56 and other similar chamberings?  It looks like the same chassis just shortened so a .308 cut down could fit, but I'm just not sure, anyone have any info on that?
View Quote

The MDR-C is currently listed as being available from the factory in 5.56 and eventually .300BLK and 6.8SPC.  Both the MDR and MDR-C, in *any* caliber, use the same stock chassis.  The shorter calibers use a magwell insert to give it the proper sized magwell.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The MDR-C is beautifully short. I'll be buying one of those with the silly long barrel the second they're available and filing the Form 1 the day I pick it up.
View Quote

That would make it a ridiculously short rifle! Would like to see It next to a 10 inch AR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Will be getting a MDR-C.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Will you be picking up an optional 19" barrel if/when offered?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

the MDR isn't Keltec is Desert Tech who have an outstanding rifle line... I own a Tavor and love it but i'm still eager to pick one of these up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#26]
MDR with...

10" .300
16" 5.56mm
19" .308

OK, I need no other rifles.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:26:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top