Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 4:03:52 PM EDT
I wonder how well the 5.56  MDR will sell at $2150 with Tavors at $1700...

The Firearm Blog
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing that is pretty close to MSRP?

If so, then it is priced competitively with the Tavor IMO.  I am just looking forward to seeing the SBR model, looks like it has a ton of potential.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If so, then it is priced competitively with the Tavor IMO.  I am just looking forward to seeing the SBR model, looks like it has a ton of potential.
View Quote

This I would imagine actual sales price will be a little lower.

I'll probably pick one up if I can find one around 1700-1800 at some point.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm on a list for one in .308 when they become available.  I am of the thinking the quality and accuracy will be at a minimum on par with the Tavor so I don't think they'll have a problem moving them.  They should be top notch like the rest of their offerings.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that is MSRP.

Honestly, I think Desert Tech's product will be better, but sell less, simply because of the price. However, that .308 conversion ability (along with 7.62x39, 300blk, and others) will go a long way.

I'm on a pre-order list. I'm really anxious to see hit's accuracy and trigger. If it can compete with a quality AR, I think it's totally worth the money. Tavors had an MSRP of 1999. They're going now for1500. You add in another 300 for a trigger pack and you're at 1800-1900, which is right around where I expect the MDR to come in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think that's too out of line as long as the product is good.

With a new Tavor and decent trigger you're going to be closer to that number anyway, and I like the looks of this MDR better.  

I hope they're successful.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wonder how well the 5.56  MDR will sell at $2150 with Tavors at $1700...

The Firearm Blog
View Quote

Will see.  I've got little interest in the Tavor, but am on a preorder list for the MDR.  
I expect it to pan out like someone else has mentioned - more Tavors and AUGs out there due to pricing of the MDR (regardless of Tavor + trigger = MDR $), but the conversions will help additional sales, assuming the rifle is solid out the door.
It will be interesting to see how things shape up number-wise in it's first year of release, then 2, 3 years down the line...and of course, which conversions become available, and when, vs being vaporware, etc.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
In 5.56 I'll stick to the AUG. But hot damn I want a 308
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If it can be converted to 7.62x39 with AK mags, I'll be sold.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In 5.56 I'll stick to the AUG. But hot damn I want a 308
View Quote

In line with you.....I'll stick with my .223 Tavor, but would be interested in a .308 bullpup with 18" barrel
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
would be interested in a .308 bullpup with 18" barrel
View Quote

Yeah, too bad there's not an 18" barreled .308 bullpup on the market already - even better if one had been through the growing pains of first production and were on a mature second generation.

Too bad...
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, too bad there's not an 18" barreled .308 bullpup on the market already - even better if one had been through the growing pains of first production and were on a mature second generation.

Too bad...
http://www.keltecweapons.com/media/article/image/cache/414-355-_DSC7358.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad...

Too bad it's Keltec
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Too bad it's Keltec
View Quote

FWIW, I personally have had nothing but good experiences with Keltec - numerous guns over numerous years.  Their rep for low production numbers and late delivery is well earned, but quite common in this industry.  They've been around for a LONG time too, so I think it's reasonable to expect service after the sale and long term parts availability.  Lots of guys out there with cool ideas and cool guns, but how many make it?  How long have we been waiting on the SCAR-pup guy?  The MDR looks very cool but it's still vaporware - not so much different than the RFB was.  The RFB took an iteration to get production models which worked (as did, oh say, the R51) so why would one expect the MDR to be different?

2nd gen, proven RFB available today.
1st gen, new MDR available "Real Soon Now".

Remember I was replying to one of multiple postings "wishing" for a .308 bullpup - I'm not saying don't buy an MDR, just pointing out that there *IS* one today (and that the bugs are most likely worked out of it already).

Richard
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FWIW, I personally have had nothing but good experiences with Keltec - numerous guns over numerous years.  Their rep for low production numbers and late delivery is well earned, but quite common in this industry.  They've been around for a LONG time too, so I think it's reasonable to expect service after the sale and long term parts availability.  Lots of guys out there with cool ideas and cool guns, but how many make it?  How long have we been waiting on the SCAR-pup guy?  The MDR looks very cool but it's still vaporware - not so much different than the RFB was.  The RFB took an iteration to get production models which worked (as did, oh say, the R51) so why would one expect the MDR to be different?

Remember I was replying to one of multiple postings "wishing" for a .308 bullpup - I'm not saying don't buy an MDR, just pointing out that there *IS* one today (and that the bugs are most likely worked out of it already).

Richard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad it's Keltec

Richard

I actually kind of want an RFB, but where are they available?  I haven't seen them at any of my usual online vendors and I have been looking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd likely pay for one given the chance to shoulder it but without that I just can't afford to chance it.  Similarly I really like the Tavor on paper but prefer the feel of the AUG.   Like many I too want the .308 most but not in anything less than 18".
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Richard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too bad it's Keltec

Richard

Easy decision. One is known for making quality products. The other is not. Desert Tech.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#17]
My local dealer has had customers at the ready but the Desert Tech rep has never responded to calls. Hope you folks fair better.
Forgot to mention that he is a regional dealer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm interested, but I think i'll be waiting till it's been out for awhile. This isn't a rifle like the AUG or Tavor that has been proven. It's a brand new, first run weapon with zero history. Even good companies can put out lemons. Desert Tech's new to mass production as well, isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I was looking at a GunAmerica article about the MDR that's from earlier this year. The 4th picture when you click to enlarge shows a pin 3" behind the selector switch. The lower receiver has a visible crack. Wonder if someone could explain that?
Those four holes look like an afterthought.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/desert-tech-mdr-a-multi-caliber-bullpup-is-in-the-works-shot-show-2014/
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe that's a rapid prototype a non fully functioning show room model like a demonstrator
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#22]
If they can deliver on the caliber conversions, I'm in for sure.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone see this coming out in Q1 of 2015. Or is this more of a summer release date?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know when next year it's going to get released but once they announce something, I'll be the first in line.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Too bad...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad...

I tried one of those once.  Jammed like crazy.  Maybe something needed tweaking, don't know - loved the handling, feel, and look.  Cool rifle actually, and hopefully someone can improve a spring or whatever to make it reliable.  But it wasn't a positive introduction to the concept of  forward ejection system, which ended up with a tube full of brass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I tried one of those once.  Jammed like crazy.  Maybe something needed tweaking, don't know - loved the handling, feel, and look.  Cool rifle actually, and hopefully someone can improve a spring or whatever to make it reliable.  But it wasn't a positive introduction to the concept of  forward ejection system, which ended up with a tube full of brass.
View Quote

2nd gen gas system has finer-grained adjustment, but most folks seem to find it reliable once the gas system is set.  2nd gen is apparently a little easier to tune.

YMMV of course.

Richard
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I've run the RFB with no issues, Gen2 and my gas is set to 5-6 clicks open shooting cheap steel case ammo. Also shot some M80 ball ammo I had it set to 12 clicks open with no problems but I just leave it at 5-6 clicks for anything now. It is one of the nicest and softest shooting 308's I have picked up. Running a TROY Claymore brake on the front end...Fun! really like the rifle!
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#28]
The RFB is not  an  MDR.

The MDR can swap calibers that is a huge difference!  if you own an RFB awesome im sure you will/are ejoy/enjoying it.  

Back on topic,

I just visited the desert tech website and im a little confused would any of you gents know if you decide to purchase the mdr if you could convert it to the mdr-c?

And if the mdr-c would me able to convert to any other caliber other than the 223/300/6.8. I would love to see the mdr-c be able to convert to 7.62x39.

The little graphic at the bottom of the page seems like it would only be able to convert to the calibers listed below it...
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The RFB is not  an  MDR.

The MDR can swap calibers that is a huge difference!  if you own an RFB awesome im sure you will/are ejoy/enjoying it.  

Back on topic,

I just visited the desert tech website and im a little confused would any of you gents know if you decide to purchase the mdr if you could convert it to the mdr-c?

And if the mdr-c would me able to convert to any other caliber other than the 223/300/6.8. I would love to see the mdr-c be able to convert to 7.62x39.

The little graphic at the bottom of the page seems like it would only be able to convert to the calibers listed below it...
View Quote

I dont see how there would be enough room to fit a 7.62x39 magazine in the rifle, it looks like the arch of the magazine would hit the grip.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Hmm ....  They say they have a conversion kit for the 7.62x39 ,  but i do see what you mean. The curve on a ak mag is verry agressive.  

I wonder how they got around that.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#31]
If they were the first company to say "No we are not going to make a gun for that peasant commie round" I would by 3 of them. I am eager for the 6.5 Grendel version.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Hmm ....  They say they have a conversion kit for the 7.62x39 ,  but i do see what you mean. The curve on a ak mag is verry agressive.  

I wonder how they got around that.

View Quote
It's probably not going to use an AK mag... but rather the ACS 7.62x39 mags made for the AR magwell.  And while they also have an aggressive curve, it starts much later and could perhaps curve below the grip.

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I would love to pick one up in .308... but according to pricing at Europtic... its going to cost $2500.... damn... if the RFB's have all the bugs worked out of them  its kinda hard not consider them at $1400-$1500.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm on the list for one. $2500 doesn't seem that bad considering the ability to convert from a 16" 308 to a 10.5" 5.56, .300blk etc. I have a DTA Covert now and I love it. I'm sure there will be growing pains but I can't see DT putting out a turd.

I have a RFB now that I liked at first until I started suppressing everything.

ETA: last I read they were shooting for summer 2015 release
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm on the list for one. $2500 doesn't seem that bad considering the ability to convert from a 16" 308 to a 10.5" 5.56, .300blk etc. I have a DTA Covert now and I love it. I'm sure there will be growing pains but I can't see DT putting out a turd.

View Quote

Does the RFB not suppress well? But even at $2500 I cant say I am not interested. Being able to go from .308/300blk w a quick barrel and bolt change ( i assume you have to change out the bolt) sound very good.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Honestly, the caliber conversion stuff does not appeal to me.  

For one conversion kits will also cost an arm and a leg on top of the already high price of the rifle.

Secondly, a dedicated rifle is a dedicated rifle.  Having to carry around a gun heavy enough to shoot .308 in 5.56 has no basis in reality.  Instead, this files into, cool things for the range that I can't afford but have no practical benefit anyway.

I do like the MDRc though.  That gun has potential.

Anyone know if this gun is the same as the Polish MSBS Radom bullpup?  On Funker Tactical's FB page someone pointed this out.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=501723409930256&set=vb.166363216799612&type=2&theater
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#37]
No it isn't the same as the polish radom...they look externally similar but as far as i know they are not related at all.

p.s. i'd be up for a radom if they were ever imported, although they are still obv a very unknown quantity.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Does the RFB not suppress well? But even at $2500 I cant say I am not interested. Being able to go from .308/300blk w a quick barrel and bolt change ( i assume you have to change out the bolt) sound very good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it doesn't suppress very well as far as sound. It runs fine but I have to take the gas adjuster cap completely off. Which makes it pretty loud.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#39]
The only thing I'd have to take a closer look at is the location of the charging handle.  It looks to be a little too far rearward for effective use on the bullpup style.  The Tavor has it out above the forearm which allows for less arm bend and more power for ejecting stuck rounds while the rifle is in the shoulder.  Might be an issue in .308 (stronger spring).
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they're under $2000, I'm in. A bullpup 308 is very appealing to me and Desert Tech is top notch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#41]
If they're under $2000, I'm in. A bullpup 308 is very appealing to me and Desert Tech is top notch.
View Quote

ditto
also as said before, at the pricepoint I could purchase complete rifles rather than kits. On a ERMA or DSR-1 I could see swapping calibers being more attractive at a high pricepoint
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#42]
If you get in on the group-buy here, it will likely be FAR less than MSRP: http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?board=47.0
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I too am very interested in Desert Tech’s MDR!  But!!!!

I hate to date myself; but, I have a long history with this “New Release” firearms stuff.  Not to slam Desert Tech or any other firearms manufacturer; however, I believe it when I can see it in my local gun shop where I can actually look at it, touch it, and buy it.  Until then all this pre-production hoopla is a bunch of BS to me.

Something is telling me that the initial offering of Desert Tech’s MDR is going to be sticker shock!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#44]
The MDR-C offering is still the .308 chassis, with the alternate forend and caliber conversion kit as appropriate.  The part I've enjoyed most out of this venture is that the chassis will ALWAYS be the .308 chassis.  As long as you can obtain your parts at the price point you have, you have complete flexibility as to the handguard style (thus far: standard MDR, MDR-C, and the suppressor handguard revealed at SHOT 2015) and barrel (caliber, and length, as far as DT or aftermarket allow).

I feel there are plenty of alternate options, if you are NEVER expecting to have it in .308, and want the weight/cost savings.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Any further updates on the release date recently?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Shooting for 4th quarter this year last I heard.

To people griping about the price think about what this rifle compares to. I see it in the same class as the LWRC, LMT MWS, Larue PredatOBR, etc out there. Those are all going to run you north of $2k. DT makes top shelf stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#47]
From everything I've seen and heard, DT is pretty much OK with the way the MDR functions but thinks it is too heavy. They are going to spend a good chunk of this year trying to get the weight down. That means lots of computer modeling and a big pile of custom parts that didn't quite work -- all very time-consuming.

As for pricing, given DT's track record with their bullpup bolt guns I'd get in early on the MDR... I actually placed an order with DT when they were running pre-release pricing on the SRS at about half of what the chassis + 1 conversion kit costs now. They are definitely NOT in the business of driving cost out of their product.

Of course, cost <> value, so I'm willing to give DT the benefit of the doubt and hope they release a fully-baked product that puts shit-eating grins on the faces of its owners and causes the phrase "worth every penny" to be totally overused and banned from the English language...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I've shot their bolt guns although I don't own one and I will def be ordering one as soon as that option becomes available. I don't usually pre order but sometimes u have to show a little faith in a company with a good rep trying to do something new
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Love to get my hands on a MDR 16inch 308!  
When I came across there site some time last year before the Tavor and Aug started to come down in price they figured the price for the 556 was going to be around 2k and the 308 was going to be around 2.5k.  Now they say they are playing around with the numbers and don't know the price yet.  I'm thinking since the price has dropped on the other bullpups they know they need to try to bring the price down somewhat. Tho i'm sure the 308 will probably be at least 2500 if not more.
They said at some point they want to make a conversion kit in 300 blackout, 6.8 and 7.62x39.

The Gen 4 mock up weighs about 8lbs and they want to bring that down.

They are shooting for 4th quarter but don't be upset if they don't make that time frame.  Could be early 2016.  Just hope the retards in office don't try to pass something stupid that would make it hard to get one when the time comes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Love to get my hands on a MDR 16inch 308!  
When I came across there site some time last year before the Tavor and Aug started to come down in price they figured the price for the 556 was going to be around 2k and the 308 was going to be around 2.5k.  Now they say they are playing around with the numbers and don't know the price yet.  I'm thinking since the price has dropped on the other bullpups they know they need to try to bring the price down somewhat. Tho i'm sure the 308 will probably be at least 2500 if not more.
They said at some point they want to make a conversion kit in 300 blackout, 6.8 and 7.62x39.

The Gen 4 mock up weighs about 8lbs and they want to bring that down.

They are shooting for 4th quarter but don't be upset if they don't make that time frame.  Could be early 2016.  Just hope the retards in office don't try to pass something stupid that would make it hard to get one when the time comes.
View Quote

I have sworn off .308ARs but the .308 MDR is getting under my skin... If nothing else, DT makes very accurate guns.

With a GOP-controlled Congress federal gun control is d-e-a-d for at least the next 2 years and I think you're pretty safe in TN from state-level gun-related buffoonery.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top