Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 5:36:37 AM EDT
I'm contemplating taking my AUG through a class, but I'm having a difficult time finding a sling or sling mounting option that gives the utility I'm looking for.

Using the factory sling hardware, the operation of the charging handle is impeded and shoulder transitions are awkward or require the rifle to be unslung entirely.  

I'm curious what you guys who take your AUG's out to classes, innawoods, or have seen them used in military service use as a sling solution.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The factory handle prevented me from using the front swivel too. I got the gearhead charging handle and it helped a lot but I still don't like that spot for a swivel. There is a strap on single point adapter I have seen some people use but I do not know where they are sold. I also do not know if they work with the A3 rail. I've only seen them on MSAR's and A2's.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The factory handle prevented me from using the front swivel too. I got the gearhead charging handle and it helped a lot but I still don't like that spot for a swivel. There is a strap on single point adapter I have seen some people use but I do not know where they are sold. I also do not know if they work with the A3 rail. I've only seen them on MSAR's and A2's.
View Quote

I think you're thinking of the UrbanERT, has kind of a dog collar system.  It looks like a *decent* option but I feel like trying to do a shoulder transition would make the sling get hung up on the magazine, and if you're using a 42rd (why wouldn't you be?) you'd have to nose-dive it pretty hard to clear the magazine.  

I'm debating securing two new sling mounts on to different parts of the stock, just worried about structural integrity and if they'd hold well enough to put up with abuse.  

I could limp by using a single point off the rear factory hardware, it seems to be the most functional as far as maneuverability but it hangs *way* too low and is still pretty awkward to transfer to your weak shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm using one of these: http://www.skdtac.com/Emdom-E-MM-Gunslinger-Sling-p/e2m.101.htm with a HK hook on the front. Normally I run it as a 2 point sling but since it has a steel loop on the butt end I can use the HK hook to convert it to a single point if needed.

AJ

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Place holder just came home to take care of sick kiddos and wife but will sneak some pics when everyone falls asleep... Hopefully
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Place holder just came home to take care of sick kiddos and wife but will sneak some pics when everyone falls asleep... Hopefully
View Quote

Interested to see them.

I rigged up a makeshift UrbanERT with some SOE gear we have laying around the shop and it actually worked alright, I may look to them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I like two point slings, but may try a single point "dog collar" type stock wrap if I can find one.

Just bought two more QD sling buttpad pins from Pete. They are nice to have. FWIW, there are a few top rails with the QD socket built in (as opposed to the pinned sling swivel from Steyr), Pete has 3 different styles and other companies have their own. The Manticore scope mount has quite a few QD points.

Anyhow, the QD sling pins are really nice to have on the AUG. I have no problem with a fixed Steyr sling, but do like the emdom slings. With a two point mount, I run the front of the sling on the right under the stock, between the forward grip and the handguard. That keeps the sling clear of the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok girls are asleep finally... Got some pics of my set up probably not perfect but works for me.. Just for reference I no longer run my guns in any single point   Configurations due to the fact if you are moving or running and have to transition into a secondary all you will feel is your primary beating your balls to pieces or your knee caps lol trust me.. Haha also if in the back country two point makes the hike not so ruff.. Hands down..  

You can see the clearance on the charge handle.. Not bad makes running it pretty natural

sorry about the art I grew up watching Red Dawn.. Haha

I want to try Pete's rear take down pin with qd mount and a magpul front much like my Tavors set up..

When my wife feels better ill post picks of it slung so you can see how it hangs on the body.. Hope those help brother can't wait to hear how your Austrian girl runs in your class... Hope she kicks ass.. Augs are close to perfection... Oh I can't wait for the m1
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Something like this is what I was talking about. I know I have seen one for an Aug somewhere. Or maybe it was this one somebody had on an Aug.

http://www.bullpuparmory.com/Kel_Tec_RFB_Single_Point_Sling_Adaptor_p/rfb-1ptsa.htm

As was mentioned before, Pete or manticore has options and here is another. Not sure if it is actually available yet or not though. Doesn't appear to be. But it describes a built in swivel in side.

http://www.shop.gearheadworks.com/Aug-Razorback-rzrbk-aug.htm

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a sling made locally. They created a dedicated SBR and Bullpup sling.

Shops name is razor six tactical and it works rather well for my AUG.

Happy camper is all I can say about my sling preference right now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Something like this is what I was talking about. I know I have seen one for an Aug somewhere. Or maybe it was this one somebody had on an Aug.

http://www.bullpuparmory.com/Kel_Tec_RFB_Single_Point_Sling_Adaptor_p/rfb-1ptsa.htm

As was mentioned before, Pete or manticore has options and here is another. Not sure if it is actually available yet or not though. Doesn't appear to be. But it describes a built in swivel in side.

View Quote

This?

http://www.urbanertslings.com/steyr-aug-ambidextrous-adapter/

I really like the Magpul ASAP adapter idea, I'm going to give that a try as I have on my AR I can switch to the AUG to test.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use a sling made locally. They created a dedicated SBR and Bullpup sling.

Shops name is razor six tactical and it works rather well for my AUG.

Happy camper is all I can say about my sling preference right now.
View Quote

WOW I'm glad you mentioned them as one of their AUG pictures for their sling has what looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

Looks like they just flopped their rear takedown pin/sling mount around so it will always fall properly when transitioning to weak-side shoulder, then they simply adjust it so it's correct for their right side.  I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner.  I think that combined with the ASAP will be my answer.  Will give it a shot and let you know.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/gwlxz/products/152/images/472/aug_sbr2__63498.1398045925.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Alright I think I've found my solution, or at least the closest I've been.

Using a mix between the magpul ASAP mount idea and the razorsixtactical photo with the sling mount switched to the right side of the rifle.  I'd welcome anyone to give this a shot and give me their thoughts/criticisms.

Being right handed, I would typically "dive" through a sling with my head and left arm, however doing so with this sling set-up can make the sling come up a little short when trying to change magazines from the strong side.  So to tweak that I simply dove through with my head and right arm.  This makes shoulder transitions (using both weak-side techniques, keeping your face back and also full cheekweld) really simple without any binding.  It also makes manipulating everything from both sides pretty painless.  Nothing strangling me, full operation of the charging handle and magazine catch from both sides.  Also rotates the rifle out of the way for tip-down carry for transport.  

The weakness I've discovered in it so far is trying to transition to a secondary weapon requires you to make an ever-so-slight "swoop" movement to make sure you can clear the rifle out of the way to make a clear path for drawing your pistol.  You just let it hang like you would a single-point sling.

I realize this might all read as pretty tactical oper8or mall-ninja type stuff, but I figured if it helps someone get a little more use out of their sling it's not hurting anybody.  Also the optic on that rifle is going to be switched out, and buis added shortly thereafter, and tapeswitch moved...  :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#13]

A lot of good info in this thread.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This?

I really like the Magpul ASAP adapter idea, I'm going to give that a try as I have on my AR I can switch to the AUG to test.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This?

That was probably it. The rear sling pin being reversed works pretty good for shoulder transitioning once you get the length adjusted.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Have both styled of the magpul sling.  The QD equipped sling works rather well with an MSAR, the clip equipped lungs works pretty much the same if you use a QD to interface the rear socket and a magpul or other loop up front.

Being a lefty neither seems to interfere with the charging handle.

The clip equipped version also works well as a shoulder strap for a range or rifle bag.

I've been moving towards equipping everything with at least one QD socket on the stock or rear of the weapon, and either a loop or QD socket on the handguard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Mines works fine for what it is and it does the job and task at hand.

Love the Magpul attachment setup for the rail on mines.

What I'd really love to have is a QD for the front sling swivel and then life would be great.

Anyone have a lead or is there an easy QD to add to the front swivel or can get one installed?

Does it require gunsmith work?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top