Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2012 8:56:44 PM EDT
If this info is incorrect, please let me know. It is accurate as far as I understand it to be.

Information regarding the US produced Steyr AUG A3:

Steyr Arms Inc. (Steyr USA), a subsidiary of Steyr Mannlicher (Steyr Austria) began production of the AUG A3 in late 2008. The first AUG A3's were sold in January 2009 up until they were discontinued on 10/19/2010.

Steyr USA was to produce an initial 3,000 rifles. To produce these rifles, 3,000 parts kits were ordered from Steyr Austria. Each individual parts kit is serialized in Europe prior to arriving in the US.
Approximately 10,000 A3 receivers  were cast in the USA by Anchor Harvey in preparation for more than the initial 3,000 AUG's.

The A3 produced between late 2008 and late 2010 used Steyr Austria serialized parts kits and USA produced 922(r) compliance parts. Under the direction of Steyr USA, Sabre Defence Industries (SDI) was contracted to machine the receiver castings, produce the barrels, and assemble the AUG's. The A3 AUG's were distributed and sold under Steyr USA having been manufactured by SDI.

Sometime before the summer of 2010, SDI's executives in the USA and England were caught in a convoluted ATF operation that ended with SDI being raided. SDI lost US military contracts, the Steyr AUG contract, and their entire US operation and all property were seized by the US government and auctioned off due to arms trafficking violations. Thousands of AUG parts were seized in the raid and later auctioned off.

Sometime in late 2011-early 2012, with help from Pete Athens (pjs-steyraug.com), the numerous seized AUG parts made their way back to Steyr USA.

In May 2012, 33 AUG A3 complete parts kits were released by the ATF to Steyr USA. Steyr USA assembled these complete kits into AUG'S (by doing so became the manufacturer of said 33 guns) and sold them to the public. Those 33 guns were accompanied by a letter from Steyr USA explaining the rarity of those guns and the history behind it.

On 8/2/12 a press release came out of Steyr USA announcing that the AUG A3 production had been resumed. Vltor was named as the company machining the receivers with FN producing the barrels. Steyr USA would be the manufacturer, as they physically assemble them into complete guns.

In late August 2012, the AUG A3 was being sold again.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
This is where it gets complicated...

Steyr Austria exported 3,000 parts kits to the USA. Theoretically there could have been 3,000 SDI manufactured A3's if no manufacturing or quality defects were present.

Production of the A3's began with serial number 1USA001 up to a possible 1USA999. 2USA001 was the next serial number set. By the time that manufacturing stopped, 1,860 AUG's had been produced. It is not known if the serial number sets (ie 1USAxxx and 2USAxxx) ran as a continuous uninterrupted range of serial numbers. What is known is that there are 1,860 AUG A3's manufactured by Sabre Defence Industries prior to 10/19/10.

May 2012 brought another 33 SDI type A3's into existence, bringing the total of 1USAxxx and 2USAxxx guns produced to 1893. Theoretically there could have been 1,998 A3's from those two serial number ranges. Approximately 105 parts sets were either destroyed or sold separately as parts kits. The highest serial number I know of is 2USA879 which was sold as a complete gun.

Every 1USAxxx and 2USAxxx AUG A3 had the following distinguishable features:
SDI machined and marked A3 receiver
SDI chrome lined 1/9 button rifled barrel threaded 13x1 LH
A3 muzzle brake
Commercial height rail *a few military height rails were installed and inadvertently found there way into the wild*

August 2012, with the reintroduction of the A3 saw some changes. Those changes were:
Serial number range started with 3USAxxx
Availability of the AUG A3 CQC (currently sold exclusively by pjs-steyraug.com). See www.steyrauga3cqc.com for detailed information and specs of the CQC.
FN chrome lined, 1/9, cold hammer forged barrels using imported Steyr Austria mandrels, 13x1 LH threads
A1 type "tulip" flash hider
Receivers are exactly the same as prior A3's with the exception of how they are marked... see below.

Since Steyr Austria engraves the serial number on the bolt carrier before export, SDI had already began preparations for assembly of the 3USAxxx guns.
When Steyr USA acquired the seized A3 parts, 650 receivers had been completed already and had serial numbers matching their respective Austrian parts kits. These receivers are identical to previous SDI machined receivers.
Instead of destroying the receivers and machining new ones, Steyr USA assembled those first 650 receivers into A3's with their matching parts kit and a new FN cold hammer forged barrel with tulip flash hider.
From the SDI parts, another 250 receivers were in a state of semi completion. Vltor finished these receivers with their respective SDI engravings being underneath (not visible while assembled). The right hand side of the receivers are marked "Steyr Arms Inc" with no visible mention at all of Sabre Defence Industries.

It is rumored that a few 3USAxxx guns are being sold by some retailers at discounted prices. These guns come with SDI barrels and A3 muzzle brakes. See post below for pictures of said guns and how to determine if you have an FN barrel or SDI barrel. I assume that this is to use up completed barrel stock from the seized items.

For the serial number set of 3USAxxx, 999 A3's are possible assuming all is well with quality control. With 650 SDI visible marked, and 250 SDI hidden marked receivers; a possible 99 3USAxxx A3's could be made... That ends the 3USAxxx serial number set.

Serial numbers starting with 4USAxxx are all machined by Vltor. These receivers use the exact same raw castings as the SDI receivers. The Vltor receivers will be marked similar to the last 250 SDI receivers, "Steyr Arms Inc" visible on the side and Vltor engraved hidden underneath. It may be possible that the ATF grants a marking variance to Steyr USA so that only Steyr's name is on the receiver, both visible and hidden.
The Vltor machined receivers have a cleaner appearance. The A3 castings have a hump on the front, similar to the A2 receivers, that must be milled off. SDI receivers have slight tool marks in that area, while Vltor leaves them very clean.

As of November 2012, what is known about the A3 by serial number:
1USAxxx and 2USAxxx are identical guns having SDI marked receivers and 1/9 SDI CL button rifled barrels with A3 muzzle brakes
3USAxxx may have a variety of receiver markings with 1/9 FN CHF CL barrels with tulip flash hider and/or 1/9 SDI CL button rifled barrels with A3 muzzle brakes. Some of these are CQC models.
4USAxxx will have Vltor machined, Steyr Arms marked receivers with 1/9 FN CHF CL barrels with tulip flash hiders. Some of these will be CQC models.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are the owner of any of these pictures and object to them being reposted, please let me know and I will take them down.

Pictured is the Steyr AUG A3 as manufactured by SDI between late 2008 and Oct. 2010.
Serial numbers begin with 1USAxxx and 2USAxxx.
Distinguishable features include an SDI marked receiver, SDI 1/9 CL button rifled barrel, A3 muzzle brake.
Barrel is dull grey in color. Barrel markings are visible through the right side of receiver. Barrel is engraved ".223 REM    TWIST RATE 1:9"

1USAxxx A3

2USAxxx A3

SDI barrel with A3 muzzle brake

SDI barrel engravings

SDI barrel engravings seen through receiver

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are the owner of any of these pictures and object to them being reposted, please let me know and I will take them down.

Pictured is the Steyr AUG A3 as manufactured by Steyr Arms Inc from August 2012 to present (being Nov. 2012)
Serial numbers begin with 3USAxxx
Distinguishable features include FN 1/9 CL CHF barrel and tulip flash hider
Barrel is dark black in color. Barrel markings are not visible through the right side of receiver.
Barrel is engraved close to the chamber with "Made in the USA    5.56 X 45 / .223 REM"
First 650 receivers are SDI marked and identical to 1USAxxx and 2USAxxx receivers.
Next 250 receivers are partially complete SDI marked. These are engraved SDI underneath, but on the visible right side of receiver are marked "Steyr Arms, Inc." Known serial number from this batch is 3USA583. Machining on these receivers are much cleaner, Vltor may have been involved in finishing these.

3USAxxx A3 shown with NATO stock

FN barrel engraving

SDI receiver marking from first 650 batch (guns have FN bbls)

SDI receiver marking from second 250 batch (gun has FN bbl)

Tulip flash hider on FN barrel

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What you see below is the exception, not the rule:

It is rumored that a few 3USAxxx guns are being sold by some retailers at discounted prices. These guns come with SDI receivers, SDI barrels, and A3 muzzle brakes.

I found this on gunbroker. Others have said that CTD may be selling these as well.
This is an A3 with serial number 3USA178. It has a SDI CL button rifled barrel and the A3 muzzle brake.

How can you know if you have an A3 as pictured above with SDI barrel instead of an FN barrel?
It will have barrel markings visible through the receiver on the right side. It will be engraved ".223 REM TWIST RATE 1:9". The muzzle device will be an A3 brake, not the tulip flash hider. Also, the barrel coating is a different color. The FN barrels are a dark black color. The SDI barrels are dull grey in color.

How many of these "imposter" 3USAxxx guns are out there?
No idea, but my guess is very very few.

Is the FN barrel and tulip flash hider the only difference between these "imposter" 3USAxxx guns?
Yes.

How much better is the FN barrel and tulip flash hider than the SDI barrel and A3 flash hider?
"Better" is subjective.
Both barrels are very high quality. Both are chrome lined. Both barrels are made to Steyr's specs.
The FN is cold hammer forged on Austrian imported mandrels. This creates a barrel as close to an Austrian spec AUG barrel as possible.
The SDI barrel is button rifled. Sabre Defence was known for their high quality and very accurate barrels.
The tulip flash hider is rooted in the second generation AUG flash hider seen on A1 and A2 models. It is not exactly the same as an original tulip nor is the check nut the same, but they are close reproductions.
The A3 muzzle brake is the same military issue brake that is on every A3 AUG sold via military or police contract.
Given the information above, you can decide which is "better" for you.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
4USAxxx info
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
AUG A3 CQC info
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
place holder

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
place holder

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
place holder

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
place holder

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice!  Thank you.  I've been reading bits and pieces since hearing back in the summer they were making more, and still had lots of blank spots that needed filling in.  You covered those, and a lot more I didn't know to ask.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Needs to be a sticky!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Needs to be a sticky!

+1
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome write up!

My CTD order of A3 coming in at this Thu.
Need to keep my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Awesome write up!

My CTD order of A3 coming in at this Thu.
Need to keep my fingers crossed.

Me too.  Really hope it has no mention of SDI visible while assembled.  Also thanks to the OP for a great post.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
This cleared up a lot of questions I had. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Good write-up Maleante, Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good write-up Maleante, Thank you.

Thanks.
I have some revisions (small details) I need to make and some more info to add. Takes a while to write it all up though
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Excellent post Maleante!  My CQC has one of the 250 receivers marked sdi on the bottom only.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Any news on the CTD order that came through? What does it have? SDI receiver? SDI barrel?

I noticed CTD says 1/9 twist barrel. Does that mean anything? Are all FN barrels 1/7?
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#21]
There are no vltor receivers out yet, so it is a sdi.  As far as a barrel, not sure, but it will be 1/9 twist.  If it says made in usa then it is a FN barrel, if it is gray rather than black, it is a SDI barrel.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]
When Vltor receiver is out, I wonder if the receiver will have the same 'ol Steyr made by Vltor markings (instead of SDI). Actually I'd rather have a clean plain ol' Steyr marking, without any of the SDI or Vltor.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When Vltor receiver is out, I wonder if the receiver will have the same 'ol Steyr made by Vltor markings (instead of SDI). Actually I'd rather have a clean plain ol' Steyr marking, without any of the SDI or Vltor.

I am going to guess that it will not have Vltor markings.  In talking with a friend of mine who has an 07 FFL, as long as SAI has some type of manufacturing FFL, they can contract another company to machine lowers for them with SAI markings on an ATF variance.  This is likely what has been done with the group of 250 "semi-completed" receivers, otherwise they would need to have visible "Mfg. By Vltor" etc. markings for ATF compliance.

Example: I have a Seekins SP-223 AR-15 lower from the aforementioned 07 FFL that bears no Seekins markings - it was produced on an ATF variance.

While SAI was contracting Sabre to produce the original set of AUG A3's, likely SAI had no manufacturing FFL and they were merely a distributor of the rifles - SDI would have been the legal manufacturer.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
More on variances from the ATF website here: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/marking-variances.html

For firearms manufactured under the Gun Control Act of 1968, authorization for other means of identification is only granted between 2 licensed manufacturers.

Again - this is just conjecture on my part - but it makes sense to me that when SAI was doing business with SDI, they were not a licensed manufacturer.  Rather, they had a non-manufacturing FFL.  So the marking variance wasn't possible and the receivers were "officially" made by SDI, and marked as such.

Now that we see receivers that were completed by Vltor and bear no Vltor markings, it would follow that SAI has a manufacturing FFL now and there is an ATF variance in place.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I think Pete said somewhere that Steyr and VLTOR were getting the variance to mark them Steyr only, or else Steyr on the usual visible place and VLTOR on the underside and out of sight.
Top Top