Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2010 9:20:23 AM EDT
Anyone have one?  I know they are totally useless and I will probably be flamed for saying so, but I used to have one 30 years ago and made the mistake of trading it for something else.  I haven't thought about it much but now that I have an MSAR E4 and am getting an RFB, I want a little piece of bullpup history again.

Post PIC's if you gottem.  I need something  to hold me over until I get another.
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it's a great concept, particularly in this age of the PDW.  I'd like to shoot one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard of this pistol before. If anyone has pics, please post em up so we can all see what it looks like...
Thx
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Saw one of these at the NRA Museum; interesting concept; pity if did not go far.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice-thanks for posting the pic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you talking about the:

Individual Multi-Purpose Weapon IMP-221 / GUU-4/P submachine gun

ETA second pic.

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
That's it.  The IMP was the granddaddy of the design and originally chambered in 221.  The last incarnation is the picture at the top with the chambering now .223, the charging handle on top, and the safety selector moved to the front.  That is the one I had and am currently looking for.  I couldn't hit shit with it accurately but would love to have one again.  It did make the ultimate "spray and pray" bullet hose.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
How does this thing escape SBR status? Looks like it's got enough metal behind the trigger to stick it up against your shoulder.

Or is it a title II already?
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#10]
tag for curiosity
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Just like an AR pistol if the receiver has NEVER been built up as a rifle (ie. had a stock) then it is a pistol even though you can pull the buffer tube up against your shoulder.  Empty casings eject from the top.  If you tried to shoulder it you would be buying one lense sunglasses for the rest of your life.

ETA:  Ever look closely at Bushmaster's old logo?  It was a rattlesnake coiled around one of these arm pistols.  A few years ago they changed it to a rattlesnake coiled with a rifle sitting below the snake.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#13]
chibajoe:  Just noticed there is a transferable full-auto Bushmaster Arm Pistol for sale on GunsAmerica for $13,995.00 and it has the Colt moderator (first attempt at a suppressor & flash hider combo) mounted.  Too bad I don't have that kind of pocket change or I would get it.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ETA:  Ever look closely at Bushmaster's old logo?  It was a rattlesnake coiled around one of these arm pistols.  A few years ago they changed it to a rattlesnake coiled with a rifle sitting below the snake.

MadDog

Awe man, I liked that logo!!!  Now I REALLY regret selling my pre-ban Bushy lower a few years back.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#15]
A buddy of mine has one.... took it out to the range. Loud little bastard. Fun as sin.

Sights are pretty much useless. But point shooting was very easy. I had no problem hitting center of man at 25 yards. Would make a very nice vehicle PDW. Small, compact, uses common AR-15 parts.

All in all.... I think they're nifty to own and a modernized version of the design would sell very well. Both in a pistol and a SBR rifle version. Not very hard to modify the design to be a SBR rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an AAC suppressor I use for my 7.5" AR.  It would be the bomb to mount it on one of these arm pistols.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I test fired one in South Africa in the late 70s. Useless but fun if youve been imbibing  a bit too much Castle beer...Somewhere I have an old photo of me holding it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#18]
A good part of my gun collection in particular some of my NFA stuff (40mm destructive device) is useless or maybe I should say "not practical".  This should fit in quite nicely.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I test fired one in South Africa in the late 70s. Useless but fun if youve been imbibing  a bit too much Castle beer...Somewhere I have an old photo of me holding it.

I don't find them useless.... limited yes; useless no. They still make fine use as PDWs. I had no issue point shooting and hitting targets at 25 yards with it. It's usefull for both lefty and righties. Chambered in 5.56x45mm and 30rd magazines.

If you had that in a vehicle and something went down I bet it would make a fine PDW.

Link Posted: 9/23/2010 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]
The only advantage of having a PDW in .223/5.56 is the ability to use it as a rifle as well, i.e. having more range over a SMG. At PDW ranges Id just as soon have a 9mm SMG. As far as a short 5.56 weapon there are some good bullpups out there that would fill the bill (AUG, FAMAS, etc). The Bushmaster was an oddity at the time but then, there were not any other bullpups around(until the AUG in the late 70s).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top