Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 10:49:00 AM EDT
I've never reloaded single stage style before and am wondering if I should get this over the Lee stand for my Lee measure.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Consistency is the key to a powder measure.

My guess it the 'included' Lee stand with a Lee powder measure  is gonna be a bit bouncy and hurt your consistency.

But I am assuming you are getting a Lee powder measure too, so you obviously aren't all that worried about accuracy in the first place.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the rcbs stand under my uniflow dispenser, it's rock solid. 

It doesn't have the pretty cuts on the stand as do the newer ones, but I don't think that will matter.

ETA  I just looked at the Lee, that's a pretty big footprint for simply holding a powder dispenser.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My guess it the 'included' Lee stand with a Lee powder measure  is gonna be a bit bouncy and hurt your consistency.

But I am assuming you are getting a Lee powder measure too, so you obviously aren't all that worried about accuracy in the first place.  
View Quote
Actually, there's a lot of good reviews of the Lee powder measure.  I'm looking at the Lee Deluxe Perfect powder measure which does not come with a stand.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ETA  I just looked at the Lee, that's a pretty big footprint for simply holding a powder dispenser.
View Quote
Exactly my thoughts on the Lee stand!  I'm thinking the RCBS would be less footprint on my crowded bench.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Actually, there's a lot of good reviews of the Lee powder measure.  I'm looking at the Lee Deluxe Perfect powder measure which does not come with a stand.
View Quote
I have been disappointed with 90% of the Lee stuff I have purchased over the years. I am not a Lee fan.

They have a few decent/unique products, but IMO are the low end, entry level supplier that turns off more reloaders than on.

Yeah, I have a tiny bit of bias against them.

Heck, if you have a doll, I can show you where they touched me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have been disappointed with 90% of the Lee stuff I have purchased over the years. I am not a Lee fan.

They have a few decent/unique products, but IMO are the low end, entry level supplier that turns off more reloaders than on.

Yeah, I have a tiny bit of bias against them.

Heck, if you have a doll, I can show you where they touched me.
View Quote
There are some people that will praise a product just because it is inexpensive. They have never really tested the item against anything else and/or they don't demand much from the item. They basically have nothing to base this praise on other than price and that it works well enough for them. This makes for artificially inflated positive reviews.

Not saying the Lee measure is bad, just an observation I have made in general. 

A powder measure doesn't take a lot of force to operate. I use the basic flat plate that came with the measure to mount mine. I actually have a Hornady LNL stand but only use it to hold extra measures.

All of my precision long range loads are done on this setup. A pedistal not real solid. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the rcbs stand under my uniflow dispenser, it's rock solid. 

It doesn't have the pretty cuts on the stand as do the newer ones, but I don't think that will matter.

View Quote
I spent time hunting up a second old style RCBS stand.  I like the old ones better.   I have a small and large cylinder set up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

This is the truth.  The more stable the powder measure is mounted the more consistent the results.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The brand of stand is not as important as mounting the stand securely to your bench.

Your goal is zero movement or flexing.
View Quote
This.

The less movement between the parts (the measure, the stand, the bench, etc.), the more consistent the powder measure will be.  Any movement between one part an another will cause variations in powder throws.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:I use the basic flat plate that came with the measure to mount mine.
View Quote
This is all I use to hold a RCBS Uniflow.  I use a small craftsman c-clamp to hold it firmly to a computer desk.  I'm sure a dedicated stand is nice, but I just don't have need for one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Lyman stand. It's stable, and seems to extend outward a tad more than the rest, makes getting to the middle of the loading block pretty simple, before turning it around.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I went a little different route on mounting my RCBS Uniflow.  I needed to be somewhat portable as I pull out my loading table and other components for reloading sessions instead of having a permanent setup.  

I modified a new 4-ton bottle jack to accept a homemade mounting plate for my Uniflow and mounted it on a 1" thick piece of hardwood...the jack had mounting holes available in the base.

This provides a super stable, heavy platform that can change heights when so desired.  While a height variable is obviously not a necessity, it is often more comfortable and convenient in certain seating positions or with different loading tray and cartridge height applications.

I also take dryflash's suggestion on insuring that the powder hopper has settled the currently filled powder.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The brand of stand is not as important as mounting the stand securely to your bench.

Your goal is zero movement or flexing.
View Quote
Understood.  I set up my bench and my 650 with these goals in mind.  I started this thread in order to learn more about the height of the powder measure with regards to positioning it above the tray/block, but after research; I realized that I'll be weighing each charge so height doesn't matter.  I ended up buying the RCBS unit I linked to in the first post as it takes up less bench real estate than the Lee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top