Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 10:45:13 PM EDT
I'm starting to load for cowboy action shooters, but I don't have a gun to test loads in.  I have a S&W 686 with a 4" barrel, but no single-action .38 only gun.  Any recommendations?  I'm also going to need a .45 Colt gun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Uberti's or Rugers...  Pretty much exactly what the competitors will shoot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd choose a Vaquero.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm starting to load for cowboy action shooters, but I don't have a gun to test loads in.  
View Quote

Are you reloading commercially?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you reloading commercially?
View Quote
That is my intention.  I have applied for a Type 2 FFL and have set up the LLC.  I can't actually make or sell anything until the FFL is approved, but I want to make and test some different rounds so that I have recipes ready to go.

ETA: I don't intend to be a big manufacturer, but focus on niche markets for specialized ammo.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is my intention.  I have applied for a Type 2 FFL and have set up the LLC.  I can't actually make or sell anything until the FFL is approved, but I want to make and test some different rounds so that I have recipes ready to go.

ETA: I don't intend to be a big manufacturer, but focus on niche markets for specialized ammo.
View Quote
In that case I would look to get a Ruger Vaquero, Uberti Cattleman or Colt 1873 Single Action Army as these are typically the common guns you will see. This should give you a solid base to test in.

Since you said you will be looking at marketing to a niche market I would find out what your intended customers are using. That way you can give them a true apples to apples comparison. I would also ask the questions on what bullet weight, hardness of the projectile, load type (mouse fart, middle of the road, or raging fireball).

Otherwise you may end up making the perfect round for bulls eye shooters but your buyers are all close range speed shooters.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#7]
It is really hard to beat Rossi 92
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Lord!  
For that you can buy 2 Rossi's completely slick worked and ready to roll and not feel bad about shooting the crap out of them!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not in my right mind

I been shooting .45 Colt with black for 11 years in CAS.  (Guys with .32 H&R beat me - big deal.)  Going to .45 Schofield to recreate the military ball load.

When you get your FFL let me know and I will get it announced on my email list   I know some folks just would prefer an alternative to factory rather than get into reloading.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I got a pietta 45 LC
Love that gun
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not in my right mind

I been shooting .45 Colt with black for 11 years in CAS.  (Guys with .32 H&R beat me - big deal.)  Going to .45 Schofield to recreate the military ball load.

When you get your FFL let me know and I will get it announced on my email list   I know some folks just would prefer an alternative to factory rather than get into reloading.
View Quote
Will do.  Are there loads that people prefer?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Loads for the non-reloader 120 to 140 gr or so at 700 fps max. in .38 special.  You could use the reported velocity from Black Hills cowboy ammo as a guide too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top