User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 10:45:44 PM EDT
just curious for reasons.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to...

I have a home and a workshop now...

The only thing I used to be concerned about was primers falling into the carpet and not being able to find the easily...

Then there was the time I launch the plastic primer tube stick into the ceiling.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I started in an apartment.

I bought one of the harbor freight bench grinder stands and mounted the cheapest Lee press that I could barely afford (college student). That was going on a decade ago.

Now I have about 6 presses and (no more than) the federal limit of powder, tens of thousands of primers and brass, and enough lead to cast bullets for my future grandkids future grandkids.

At least I saved money through my reloading hobby

Reloading really is my favorite hobby. I would rather reload than shoot. I have dies, powder and bullets for calibers I've never even owned (looking at you 5.7x28).

Just check your renters agreement to make sure they don't have any stupid limitations.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been for a while; I had a Lee Load-All shotgun press in my college dorm closet

I only tend to have a few pounds of powder on hand at a time, and restrict reloading to rooms without carpet for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I have for years...I just keep it to myself and have deliveries addressed to nearby relatives since my apartment management aren't very gun friendly (in Texas...imagine that ).

Carpet static doesn't scare me...it's never been an issue.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#5]
My buddy does, I built him a bench to fit in a space he had that had expandable legs since he couldn't bolt to the floor or wall.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I use a hand press to reload, but I don't do it a lot. All my reloading stuff is in a small box in my closet. I just pull it out and load up some round when I watch TV. I still mostly shoot factory ammo, it's just easier.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
When I first started reloading I lived in an apartment. 

On the side of my computer desk (particle board, cheap) I mounted my Hornady Single stage press. 

Lag bolted it down with a 2x4 under the desk part for support. So it would have been, 2x4, desk, press all sandwiched together and bolted. 

Worked great! Even while reforming .223 brass.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to for several years, even in the barracks (yeah, I know i really wasn't allowed to do that, but whatev)

Lee hand presses are cheap enough to own multiples pre-set for sizing or seating

there only drawback is how you have to hold them during operation.  for seating it's straight up-and-down (obviously) and sizing takes more effort than with a bench
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I reloaded in a 5th wheel. Took most of my available space.  

Trick was to set up, load, clean up and store everything.

Very inconvenient but it was cheaper than shooting factory ammo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I built a small square frame out of 1x6. I screwed my press onto it. I just move it over by the coffee table, in front of the TV and start loading.... I'm not a mass reloader. I load for accuracy and might knock out 50 rounds usually at the most. I could go as far as taking it to the range with me too if I wanted... It suits me until I hit the lotto and purchase my TEOTWAKI compound with a gun vault room..... On Mount Urban.... overlooking the mountain range between me and civilization under the green skies of the northern lights....

Oh wait...what were we talking about?
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no federal limit.  But, there are NFPA Rules that most jurisdictions adopt and or amend.  Like in MN you can not store powder and primers in the apt..

Here is MN Primer stuff
7500.3600 SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION PRIMERS.
Subpart 1. Restricted scope. This section does not apply to the transportation of small
arms ammunition primers governed by Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to
199 (1983).
Subp. 2. Transportation and storage. Small arms ammunition primers must not be
transported or stored except in the original shipping container approved by the Department
of Transportation in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to 199 (1983).
Subp. 3. Truck or rail transportation. Truck or rail transportation of small arms
ammunition primers must comply with the Department of Transportation regulations in
Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to 199 (1983).
Subp. 4. Quantity limitations. Not more than 25,000 small arms ammunition primers
may be transported in a passenger vehicle.
Not more than 10,000 small arms ammunition primers may be stored in residences.
Not more than 10,000 small arms ammunition primers may be displayed in commercial
establishments.
Subp. 5. Separate storage. Small arms ammunition primers must be separated from
flammable liquids, flammable solids as classified by the Department of Transportation in
Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to 199 (1983), and oxidizing materials by
a fire-resistive wall of one-hour rating or by a distance of 25 feet.
Subp. 6. Storage of large quantities. Quantities of small arms ammunition primers
in excess of 1,000,000 must be stored in magazines in accordance with part 7500.0800.
Statutory Authority: MS s 299F.71 to 299F.83
History: 11 SR 6
Published Electronically: July 26, 2007
Copyright

7500.3500 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS.
Subpart 1. Restricted scope.

This part does not apply to the transportation of smokeless propellants governed by Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to 199 (1983).
Subp. 1a. Approved container required.

Smokeless propellants must be stored in shipping containers approved by the Department of Transportation in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to 199 (1983).
Subp. 1b. Transportation of certain quantities.

Quantities of smokeless propellants of 25 pounds or less in shipping containers approved by the Department of Transportation in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to 199 (1983), may be transported in a passenger vehicle.

Quantities in excess of 25 pounds but not exceeding 50 pounds that are transported in a passenger vehicle must be in a portable magazine having wooden walls of at least one-inch nominal thickness.

Transportation of quantities in excess of 50 pounds is prohibited in vehicles transporting passengers.

Transportation of quantities in excess of 50 pounds in other than passenger vehicles must comply with Department of Transportation regulations in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100 to 199 (1983). In addition, warning placards must be prominently displayed when more than 250 pounds are being transported.
Subp. 2. Storage of propellants intended for personal use.

Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not to exceed 20 pounds may be stored in residences. Quantities in excess of 20 but not exceeding 50 pounds must be stored in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least one-inch nominal thickness.
Subp. 3. Commercial displays and stocks.

Not more than 20 pounds of smokeless propellants, in containers of one-pound maximum capacity, may be displayed in commercial establishments. Commercial stocks of smokeless propellants greater than 20 pounds but not more than 100 pounds must be stored in approved wooden boxes having walls of at least one-inch nominal thickness. Not more than 50 pounds are permitted in any one box.

Commercial stocks in quantities not to exceed 750 pounds must be stored in storage cabinets having wooden walls of at least one-inch nominal thickness. Not more than 400 pounds are permitted in any one cabinet.
Subp. 4. Quantities over 750 pounds.

Quantities in excess of 750 pounds must be stored in magazines constructed and located as specified in part 7500.0800.
Statutory Authority:

MS s 299F.71 to 299F.83
History:

11 SR 6
Published Electronically:

July 26, 2007
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Used to, never again. Here was my reloading bench/router table setup hahaha

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top