Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 1:02:53 PM EDT
I ran across this the other day and I cannot find any reviews on it. The concept sounds solid enough, but I don't like the idea of having to buy sleeves for some primer pocket sizes. It'd be great to be able to reload GP11 and .303 surplus casings without hunting down berdan primers. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Is it a gimmick or something worth having around?
Link to product:
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/collections/products/products/berdan-military-case-loader-foreign-domestic?variant=31222574273

Berdan primer kit I made your link hot. dryflash3
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The idea has been around for a while. I've seen it on the forums that are geared more towards military surplus rifles. It seems to work fine.

If someone has made a kit that makes it easier and even has the sleeves it may be worth it.

Motor
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. . .

I stocked up on Berdan primers back when they were available.

With the Russian import ban, they are no longer available. So this kit will scratch an itch with some folks.

View Quote
Has it been confirmed that the ban will apply to Russian primers too??

If so, that is terrible news!  

But, as you point out, it makes this kit more attractive.

Thanks everyone, in any event,  this forum is a great source of info.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's fun to reach in my pocket and show them a loaded steel Berdan round when I'm told "those can't be reloaded".
View Quote
"Those cannot be reloaded (... using the normal reloading components and processes).  

Is .303 with Boxer primers that difficult to come by that you'd entertain something like this?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a good concept. And for $40 I'm contemplating it because GP11 brass is too good to let sit in a bucket. The only thing about it is the lack of reviews and feedback when I looked. 1/4 copper tubing would probably be a cheaper option than buying the sleeves from the manufacturer.
Thanks for fixing the link also!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I haven't seen any of the Tula (Russian) Berdan primers since the ban. Wolf and Tula boxer primers either. Both worked well.

So I'm thinking the ban is keeping them away.

Do I have it in writing? No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has it been confirmed that the ban will apply to Russian primers too??

If so, that is terrible news!  

But, as you point out, it makes this kit more attractive.

Thanks everyone, in any event,  this forum is a great source of info.
I haven't seen any of the Tula (Russian) Berdan primers since the ban. Wolf and Tula boxer primers either. Both worked well.

So I'm thinking the ban is keeping them away.

Do I have it in writing? No.
Thanks DryFlash!  I appreciate the response.  

Also, I poked around the Internet and every source for Russian primers (of any type) lists "discontinued."  The odd thing is that Wolf ammunition's website still lists components.

And Russian ammunition is certainly available.  

Maybe there will come a time when the components will again be importable.  I hope so.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For hot links use the chain icon in the post window. (click icon, paste url in the top box. Type name of link in lower box, click Save. Done)

I hope you get this kit and post a review.
View Quote
I am also hoping for a review.  It's something I could use if it works.  There's an aspect of the ad that's confusing me, from my ignorance or being tired.  The vendor wants to know what ammo casing brand the buyer will use.  I am hoping that he means what brand of die set, because nothing else makes sense to me.  I have a sufficient amount of Berdan primed ammo from all over, and none of the casings have the brands listed.  Most just have a few numbers, I add tongue in cheek.

Editted because I can no longer spel tonite.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I purchased the Berdan to Boxer conversion kit from "Russian Reloads". It worked ok but not great. I couldnt get it to keep the drill bit centered. Many if not most were offset. I asked for help but they weren't very helpful especially when I mentioned their satisfaction money back guarantee. I gave up on it. I am still keeping my GP11 and mauser brass in case a better system comes along.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd also be interested in the conversion kit review.

Last week I tried the 1/4'' copper tubing trick on some 7.62x54R steel cases. It didn't go so well. I used the RCBS Swaging kit to squish down the anvil, insert the tube, then ground down the excess then swaged again and drilled a flash hole. I got about a 50% success rate. Sometimes the tube doesn't go in right and gets smashed, sometimes the swager smashes it or the hole is off-set. The good ones would benefit from the use of a pocket uniformer but I don't have one.

I used JB Weld to hold the tube in on 10 and made another 10 without it but haven't had a chance to load and shoot them yet. I did size them and inserted a primer in 1 and fired it in one of my Mosins, it worked fine. Overall, it was very time consuming and tedious, often frustrating at times, I wouldn't look forward to doing a few hundred that way but it did work. I just need to shoot some to see if that works too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to go ahead and get it since there's interest in seeing how well it works. I didn't fully understand their sleeve information. I didn't see any sleeves listed on their site for purchase, but the kit is supposed to come with some? Do only certain calibers need sleeves, and others have primer pockets that will accept standard boxer large/small rifle primers?
For future reference, they have free shipping on the conversion kit.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the typical life span of a sleeve (number of reloading cycles)?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I got the impression sleeves were sold separately but I dont see them on their site. I found the same kit on another site which read, "aluminum sleeves coming soon." I would wait till sleeves were available. I also dont see a number or email on that site so no way to contact them for those of us not on facebook, or twitter or something called instagram... Sorry, too old for all that crap. I'm out.. Hope someone else tries.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I emailed "Brass World" (who also carry this kit on their site). They said they have been waiting "months" for the sleeves. The sleeves are needed for the large version of berdan primers in the respect primer category.

Meaning.. he says only the larger of the large primers or larger of small.

Anyone know what version x54, 8mm mauser, or GP11 takes?

Sounds like the supplier hasnt been focused on the sleeves as they are working on other items. Not likely to be available soon. Bah!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Large Rifle Boxer primers are .210"

Large Rifle Berdan used in most Russian cartridges are .254"

Large Rifle Berdan used in European cartridges are .217"

As you can see both sizes of Berdan primers are larger than Boxer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 on posting the measurements. As previously stated, I didn't see any phone number or email for their site. That's slightly worrying, plus the reviews I've seen for their .22lr reloading dies have been poor. I will be reloading mainly GP11, 8mm, and .303 British, and I'm pretty sure the GP11 and 8mm have Boxer large rifle sized primer pockets, but I'm sure .303 will need sleeves. 7.5 French likely has the same primer pocket size as 7.5 Swiss and 8mm also. I'm still going to go through with testing it out, but I will try to stick with calibers that don't need sleeves since acquisition will likely need be prolonged.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#24]
So, has anyone popped out a GP11 primer and tried to put in a boxer? Sounds like it should fit but be loose. Maybe glue as mentioned but that's nasty.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Except for the price, the conversion products at this website make more sense, to me anyway.  RussianReloads dot com  It looks like a really good product.  But really good products usually cost more.  With enough cases to convert, the price might be worthwhile.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Except for the price, the conversion products at this website make more sense, to me anyway.  RussianReloads dot com  It looks like a really good product.  But really good products usually cost more.  With enough cases to convert, the price might be worthwhile.
View Quote
The one at Russian reloader looks sturdier, but needing different sizes for different cases makes it cost ineffective. Needing one size for 7.5 Swiss, another for 8x57, and another for .303 British puts you at nearly $300. If you were reloading/converting multiple 5 gallons buckets of brass in each caliber (like MG owners who don't have crates of surplus in reserve), then it would be the smarter choice than the .22lrreloader.com conversion kit. As a "home gamer", the $40 kit is the more economical option.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Made a low tech, low cost primer converter out of a piece of 2x4, 2 drill bits, 2 drill bit collars and a drill press. Was working with 5.45x39. t worked on probably more than 50% of the cases. Gave up on it after a while as the primer area leaked, and eroded the bolt face a bit. Maybe gluing the primers in would help this?

Could post some pics if interested. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if making an attachment that crimps the primers in place would have been an easier way.

The 22lr kit is interesting. If I used one for assassinating critters it would be a good buy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I ran across this the other day and I cannot find any reviews on it. The concept sounds solid enough, but I don't like the idea of having to buy sleeves for some primer pocket sizes. It'd be great to be able to reload GP11 and .303 surplus casings without hunting down berdan primers. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Is it a gimmick or something worth having around?
Link to product:
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/collections/products/products/berdan-military-case-loader-foreign-domestic?variant=31222574273

Berdan primer kit I made your link hot. dryflash3
View Quote

Everything is a gimmick..... until it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top