Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2017 2:30:15 PM EDT
I'm reloading 40 caliber and they won't extract correctly when I'm firing them if the bell is too wide can that cause that
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Need more info...

Does factory ammo run ok in the gun?

Are your reloads at the min powder charge?

Do you have a heavy slide spring in your gun?

Is your gun extractor "ok"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a kkm barrel inthe weapon and when dropping the rounds in it they are tight.   But in my factory barrel they slide right in
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Never had a problem before.   Loaded thousands of rounds for this pistol. First time for this problem
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Are these the same rounds from your other thread that you "loaded light"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
It did chip my extractor.   Using nickel casings also.   Crimp is the same as I was always using set at .421. They only thing I changed my my bell.  Gave it a little more to help hold the bullet head in
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It did chip my extractor.   Using nickel casings also.   Crimp is the same as I was always using set at .421. They only thing I changed my my bell.  Gave it a little more to help hold the bullet head in
View Quote
Side note, if your gun is a glock and you're dropping them in the chamber, you'll break / chip the extractor.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
If the rounds drop in your chamber they will extract.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:37:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To help, we need your loading data.

Ensue pistol is pointed in a safe direction then, drop a round into the chamber, close slide and manually eject it?
View Quote
Even safer make a dummy round no primer or powder, should chamber (or not) the same

I made some dummy 9mm rounds for my neighbor when he got a Beretta 92A1, mainly to make me feel safer
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Measure the diameter of your bullets. They should be .400" for jacketed, .401" for lead or plated.

Any bell you created to allow the bullet to get started in the case mouth should be completely removed by a properly adjusted seating die. Any more crimp thereafter can be applied after the bullet has been seated in the final stage on your progressive.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok here's the loading data. 40 caliber    Winchester nickel casings.  Rocky Mountain reloading 180 grain fmj.  5.5 grains of bullseye.  Seating depth of 1.125.  Crimp diameter of .421. I know that the shape of the bullet heads are more rounded than normal.  But I'm not ruling out the nickel casing sticking.  The seam to give more resistance when reloading them than brass casings
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Sig?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Minor technical correction - they are called "bullets" or "projectiles".  They are not "heads" or "bullet heads" or "pills".

Nickel is self-lubricating.  The failure to extract is not due to the nickel plating.

Failure to extract is usually under-powered cartridges.  

Failure to extract can also be an over-powered cartridge.  Your 5.5 gr of BULLSEYE is a MAX LOAD (refer to Alliant's Reloader's Guide).    

Failure to extract can be due to a damaged extractor.

Failure to extract can be from damaged case rims.

Do your loaded cartridges pass the "plunk test"?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Why do nickel plated casing give more felt resistance in a press than brass casings? And in a factory barrel they do pass the "plunk" test. In a kkm barrel most don't.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why do nickel plated casing give more felt resistance in a press than brass casings? And in a factory barrel they do pass the "plunk" test. In a kkm barrel most don't.
View Quote
My experience had been exactly the opposite of yours. Nickel cases resize very easily in my dies, the brass not so much. This is true for both my .223 ammo and 9mm/40/45.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#17]
It seems to me, the kkm barrel was reamed with a tight chamber.  This might be useful in some instance but in this case it is causing more trouble than help.  

Did you buy it knowing it was a tight chamber?

If not, OP should return it to the manufacturer for a remedy (recut to a normal chamber or replacement with a normal chambered barrel).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top