Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 7:19:58 PM EDT
I've been using the dual ended RCBS deal for years...I feel it doesn't work that well.  I suspect it has gotten dull over time.  It's gotten to where it requires a lot of effort to get the last little bit of sharp lip smoothed off the case mouth.

I'm looking for something more efficient.  The trimmer I'm using is the Little Crow Gunworks WFT.  One thing I'm looking at is replacing the WFT with a similar unit from Giraud that chamfers and deburs while trimming.  But assuming I don't do that, what kind of manual chamfer and debur tools are you guys using, and what has worked well for you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Giraud for the win.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Like you I've used the RCBS tool for a long time. I even made a tool that allows it to be chucked in a drill chuck.

I never liked the side that does the outside of the case mouth so I used the simple little Lee tool for that. The older ones would even fit my chucking tool.

Being a career machinist I've become very acquainted with cutting tools and their effect. Early on I realized that very often the 45 degree RCBS cutter even when sharp will leave a burr of it's own on the inside neck diameter.

This is simply the way brass is. It's a sticky gummy metal to cut and is difficult to cut cleanly without leaving any burrs.

To battle this I added another inside chamfer tool to my process. It's know as a VLD (very low drag) cutter. It has multi flutes and is made to cut 60 degrees instead of 45 degrees.

So now I'm actually deburring with the 45 and deburring the 45's cut with a light "hit" on the 60.

Using the 60 degree has made a big difference especially when the 45 starts to dull. The burr the 45 degree cutter used to leave would shave bullet jackets. I get no shaving finishing with the VLD.

I use the old RCBS case prep station. I have a 45 and a 60 both mounted in the machine. Sometimes I'll only use the 60 but if I'm prepping trimmed casings I use both.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a giruard, the one that you can use with a drill or build your own setup. Put my drill in a vise with cutter facing up so the chips don't stick in the barrel where the case rests. Works like a champ! Never timed myself but I can do 1k in a short afternoon and very easy to setup as well. Believe I paid around $100 for it
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked at all those mentioned, but went with the RCBS 3-way trimmer.

Some reviews I read of the others said that I may need to debur or chamfer extra.  I wanted it done the first time, obviously.  Also, it was on the lower end of the price range.

I got a bit that fits into the screw on the shaft in case I wanted to use my drill.  So, it has further options as well.

Really good for the money
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree 100% with Motor1 that a VLD tool is the best for the burr left by the trimmer and 45 degree chamfer tool. I would recommend a new 45 degree tool that's not dull and adding the Very Low Drag inside chamfer tool. Most don't realize they are leaving a burr from their chamfer tool inside the neck. Especially important with match bullet and not shaving copper but also important with all rifle bullets. Still think that careful hand tools beats automatic powered cutters?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:32:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Using the 60 degree has made a big difference especially when the 45 starts to dull. The burr the 45 degree cutter used to leave would shave bullet jackets. I get no shaving finishing with the VLD.
View Quote
+1 on the VLD.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
On the other hand.  You can get a Wilson or RCBS or Forster Chamfer deburring tool and then chuck it up in Sinclair Tool Holder
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the opinion on the quality of the chamfering and deburring done by the Giraud tool vs a Wilson hand tool?  About the same or is one better than the other as far as how well it chamfers and deburrs?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hard to compare $400 tool to a $15 tool.

Original Giraud makes a beautiful debur/chamfer as it trims.
View Quote
Original is way out of my budget.  If I got that route it's going to be the triway.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The Giraud Tri Way uses the same cutter as the expensive tool.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Brownells/Sinclair Carbide VLD tool (manual with a screwdriver handle) and have nothing but good things to say about it.

It's perfect.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm happy with the cheap Lyman set.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I use an RCBS three way trimmer.  When adjusted right it works.

I also have a Forster deburring and chamfering tool base with an attachment I can put a small rechargeable drill on.  It works well, just have to hand feed each case twice, one to deburr and once to chamfer.

If you buy a new deburring tool I'd recommend one with a center post.  If the deburring part doesn't have a post and the points of the tool are sharp, I always find a way to poke myself when pushing the case into the tool.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:55:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm happy with the cheap Lyman set.
View Quote
It's actually the Lyman VLD that I'm using in my RCBS case prep station.

Motor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top