Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 2:33:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
My kneejerk is that at worst, you full-length annealed them. 

I reserve the right to be wrong though, and will treat this reply as an OST & wait for a metallurgist to reply. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
No issue, they won't  anneal at 250. ETA: not a metallurgy  expert just using logic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Think it takes a lot higher temp to anneal even if left in for an hour. Need a metallurgist to be sure...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I dry my brass at 230 degrees, never turns pink. When you anneal brass you heat the end until it slightly dis colors.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The color is from whatever you used wet tumbling. It has nothing to do with being 250 degrees.

Unless you went way out of bounds with your cleaning solution I doubt that the brass has been adversely affected.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's my understanding that brass won't anneal until it reaches 400 degrees.

I let my wet tumbled cases dry overnight.

If you don't have enough brass to do this, they make a dehydrator they call a brass dryer.

Dries cases in about an hour.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Wet%20Tumbling/P8200386.jpg

I never use mine anymore.
View Quote
If left overnight, my brass gets water spots. I still use my food dehydrator.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
That particular brass dryer was known at one time as the Ronco Food Dehydrator. It was sold in a smoke gray color. Everybody in my family had one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I did the same to about 80 pieces of 6.5 creedmore.

Set the oven at 325 and forgot about it, baked about 30min.

usually I dry them in the dryer on the shoe rack. But wife was doing laundry and I was in a hurry.

Nervous to load them now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You might try squeezing a neck with a pair of pliers.

And then anneal a case cherry red and see the difference of dead soft over done .
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#15]
250 won't hurt the metallurgy.  As mentioned, the rainbow pink is from the cleaning chemistry (probably a bit high on the lemi-shine) but could also be from not getting them rinsed completely.

Drying at 150 F really isn't doing much other than speeding basic evaporation.  Remember that water boils at 212F, so to really get it all out in a decent amount of time you need to be over 212F.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#16]
You should never use a toaster oven to dry your brass.  The same goes for the broiler in your oven.

Toaster ovens use direct radiant heating.  They probably have a sensor that reads the air temperature but metal items in direct view of the heater elements may run at a substantially different (higher) temperature than the air.  Shiny metals, like clean cases, are particularly susceptible to this large temperature gradient.

An oven in bake mode has a baffle between the heater elements and you almost certainly have a cookie tray acting as a baffle, too.  These baffles preclude the strong radiant flux coming off the burner in an oven.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#17]
The harbor freight brass dehydrators work great. I use mine with the same timer I use on my tumbler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DD7YSE?tag=vglnk-c102-20

I usually set to 2 hours, but its probably mostly dry in one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I do the "Big Lebowski" with an old bath towel, then on to an old aluminum cookie sheet that is on garage duty now. I heat the oven up to 200* set on convection, pop the brass in and set the timer for 30 minutes. By the time the oven cools to touch, brass is perfectly dry and spot free.

Just make sure to remove from oven before your Wife preheats the oven to 425* to make dinner.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I also doubt you did any damage to the brass. Like others said, it needs to get to at least 400* to start annealing.

The ''magic number'' of the amount of Lemi-shine to use is one 45ACP case per gallon of water. Plus or minus a little is fine but a whole teaspoon was way too much, that's what causes the pinkish color.

Dump your brass in a towel and hold the ends then roll the brass from end to end by tilting one end up and the other down a few times. Then rub the towel around on top of the brass to get all the water off the outside. That will stop the water spots.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I use the 1.3cc Lee powder scoop plumb full in each drum.

I have read nothing happens to the brass until about 500° no matter the exposure time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#21]

From that phase diagram it appears somewhere near 250c (482f) is where brass enters the "stress relieving zone".

Not my diagram but since everything posted on internet is true, it must be gtg.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I spread out a big towel on the picnic table and dump the wet cases on the towel.  I roll the cases around by hand and dry the outside. On a really sunny day they are completely dry in 15 minutes.  Arizona sun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I retumbled the cases with just dawn water and ss media for another hour rinsed well, and dried on 200 for a hour all is well now.

Guess it was too much of that shine stuff.
View Quote
I was just going to suggest this.  I have found using too much Lemi shine does the same thing.

When I first started out wet tumbling I r ad the harder your water, the more lemishine you need.
Being on a well in the Rocky Mountains I assumed more would be better, boy was I wrong.

I have settled on a health squirt of dawn and a very light sprinkle of lemishine and am happy with the results
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/innovations/2000/01/images/phase_diagram.jpg

From that phase diagram it appears somewhere near 250c (482f) is where brass enters the "stress relieving zone".

View Quote
The dezincification in the 6.5 Swede might be more of an issue than the temperature.

That chart does not show lower zinc completely.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I do essentially what dryflash3 does; I dump the brass on a towel and get most of the surface dampness off that way, then it goes in my Harbor Freight dehydrator for 30 minutes or so - longer for a really full load.  It comes out dry, shiny and clean.  Let it sit first, because it'll be hot!

In doing annealing, some sources advise using Tempilaq temperature indicating liquid at both the mouth and head of the case.  You use 750 Tempilaq on the mouth and 450 on the head.  If the 450 melts, you have softened the head.  So I don't think 250ºF in the oven has hurt your brass.  I used to put mine on a cookie sheet and dry it at 200ºF for 20 minutes.  The dehydrator is much more convenient and doesn't heat the kitchen up the way the oven does.  Oh, and it was MY cookie sheet, only used for loading stuff, never cookies.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Now I think this would be an example of overheating.  Got called to work a couple of days ago while I was tumbling about 150 RP 223 cases.  Instead of leaving them outside in the sun while I was gone I put them in the oven at 220 for 20 minutes. 

As I was walking out the door there were 3 minutes on the timer so I turned the oven off and just left them in to cool thinking I would be back in 7-8 hours.  Well I ended up working 12 hours and you know where this is going.

Family comes home and preheats the oven to 450 to bake a pizza, which they didn't put in the oven for about twenty minutes after it was at 450.  The cases were on a sheet on the very top rack and they didn't see it until they checked the pizza after 10 minutes.  So they get 450 degrees for 30 minutes.

Just for fun I tumbled them for about 30 minutes and they came out bright but with a very distinctive ring at the bottom which I assume (since I'm fairly new to this) is where the case head was annealed.  Correct me if I'm wrong as I am still learning. The two cases on either end are from another batch I tumbled and air dried that evening just to show the difference.  Either way I put them in the scrap bag.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/innovations/2000/01/images/phase_diagram.jpg

View Quote
Incorporating a phase diagram in a reloading discussion = pure genius  

<meme removed> dryflash3

250 degrees won't hurt cartridge brass.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now I think this would be an example of overheating.  Got called to work a couple of days ago while I was tumbling about 150 RP 223 cases.  Instead of leaving them outside in the sun while I was gone I put them in the oven at 220 for 20 minutes. 

As I was walking out the door there were 3 minutes on the timer so I turned the oven off and just left them in to cool thinking I would be back in 7-8 hours.  Well I ended up working 12 hours and you know where this is going.

Family comes home and preheats the oven to 450 to bake a pizza, which they didn't put in the oven for about twenty minutes after it was at 450.  The cases were on a sheet on the very top rack and they didn't see it until they checked the pizza after 10 minutes.  So they get 450 degrees for 30 minutes.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/brakeman98/ANNEALED%20223%20CASE%20HEADS_zpsci0rlamj.jpg

Just for fun I tumbled them for about 30 minutes and they came out bright but with a very distinctive ring at the bottom which I assume (since I'm fairly new to this) is where the case head was annealed.  Correct me if I'm wrong as I am still learning. The two cases on either end are from another batch I tumbled and air dried that evening just to show the difference.  Either way I put them in the scrap bag.
View Quote
Ring is more likely from sizing die not touching that art of case.

The taper on the die mouth means that even when tight to the shell holder the die is not touching all the way to the head.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top