Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 1:11:31 PM EDT
I know a lot of people use wet tumblers and sonic case cleaners now days.

Most of the sonic look kind of small. I do several hundred at a time

I have a good bit of experience doing this. Years ago a 100k was a slow year of shooting.

Getting back into it again, so I started cleaning brass to reload.

I mostly used corn cobb media with a polish or a rouge. The best I ran into was red. I honestly don't remember what it was called. It did leave am reddish tinge on the inside of cases. Never hurt anything that I could tell. I just shot some 338 RUM I have had loaded a year or so before Remington released the cartridge.

In any case looking around I had enough new corn Cobb to fill the case vibrator. The red stuff was no where to be found.

I did find something called Flitz we bought at a home show a long time ago. I added a couple quarter size dabs and let the vibrator run. It dispersed in a minute or so. I even added some with cases and it didn't stick inside either.

I ended up with maybe 6 to 8 quarter size blobs. It doesn't seem to dry out either. I've done 22000 once fired 38 special brass and its still working. I added a little every couple thousand.

It works better than anything I have tried. The cases look like they are nickeled there so shinny .

No residue I can see or feel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Never thought of using flitz but good idea, I use brasso here, cpl blobs let it run 20-30 mins then add brass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never thought of using flitz but good idea, I use brasso here, cpl blobs let it run 20-30 mins then add brass.
View Quote
Brasso contains ammonia and can weaken brass, a small amount probably wouldn't hurt though once the ammonia evaporated.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
the red stuff was treated walnut not corn cob media.  I use Lizard Litter from Petco/Petsmart.  The last batch I found is super fine, it works but generates a lot of dust, so fill the tumbler and empty it outside. 

There's always a pile of this dust on the cone of my UV-18 I just blow it off into the wind.  I use Dillon blue goop media polish, if I ever run out will try the flitz stuff.  Used Nu-Finish car wax in the past.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the red stuff was treated walnut not corn cob media.  I use Lizard Litter from Petco/Petsmart.  The last batch I found is super fine, it works but generates a lot of dust, so fill the tumbler and empty it outside. 

There's always a pile of this dust on the cone of my UV-18 I just blow it off into the wind.  I use Dillon blue goop media polish, if I ever run out will try the flitz stuff.  Used Nu-Finish car wax in the past.
View Quote
I know about the red treated walnut. The red rouge was something I added to corn cob and walnut media. I know if you had even a pin point out side the cap it would cover the whole bottle if left to set long enough. Then it wouldn't wipe off. Might be why I can't remember the name, it was always covering the outside of the bottle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I use lizard litter, nu finish car wax, and airsoft pellets.  Brass comes out looking pretty good.  The media you mentioned was Lyman.  I went away from it because of the red dust it left everywhere.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Flitz makes a special compound meant specifically for tumblers. I've been using it for several years now with great results.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I wet tumble most of the time but when I don't want the hassle of it I use corn cob with some mineral spirits and Nu-finish car wax.

The mineral spirits cleans the carbon from the outsides and thins the wax a little so it leaves a thin protective coating to prevent tarnish but doesn't have a slippery feel. You need your cases to adhere to the chamber walls when fired so slippery is no good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The red stuff is called red death.  Google that up.  Throw it away.  The stuff I had was from Lyman, IIRC.

Lizard media and NuFinish polish was recommended here.  When I first changed to it, the results were almost as good as wet tumbling.  Wet tumbling got pistol cases too clean and they did not go through my carbide dies very well.  The Nufinish really makes them run nicely through the dies.  

My biggest fault with the media was not changing it often enough.  I am seeing now that it is starting to take longer to clean and not doing quite as well, so time to change it out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Throwing in a dryer sheet will help keep the dusting down. Not a cure all but it helps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Throwing in a dryer sheet will help keep the dusting down. Not a cure all but it helps.
View Quote
I did this but the quantity of dust generated overwhelms the dryer sheet
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I use wet for pistol, dry for rifle.  Dry for me means the cheap stuff from Zoro.  Corn cobb of the 20/20 grit variety.  It's the cheapest media I know about.

When I use it I start a batch before I go to work at 8am.  By the time I get home at 5pm its bling nearly as good as wet with stainless.

Zoro Corn Cobb  $33.39 40lbs

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#13]
It would take the rest of my life to use just half that much. Good price though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh...I can clean a lot wet tumbling and don't have to store huge buckets of media or deal with the dust/mess.  The FAT advertises 1000 .223 cases at a time I believe

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two Dillon 750 dry tumblers, 6L ultrasonic cleaner and Thumler's Model B wet tumbler and by far the Thumler's produces the best results. My ultrasonic cleaner is great on guns and gun parts but not nearly as good as wet tumbling with pins.

I use myDillons for everything except precision rifle. IMHO wet cleaning is atime consuming PITA. 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
if you wet tumble you have to decap the brass first, you all use use a universal sizing die?  Seems like using a sizing die with dirty brass would be a bad idea.  I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
if you wet tumble you have to decap the brass first, you all use use a universal sizing die?  Seems like using a sizing die with dirty brass would be a bad idea.  I wouldn't do it.
View Quote
I wet tumble without the pins first.  So water and a little soap to clean the dirt and grime off them.  Then go through case prep including deprime, resize, debur, chamfer, trim, etc where applicable.  At the point I'm ready to prime/charge/seat, I'll run them through the tumbler again with the pins, soap, & lemishine
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wet tumble without the pins first.  So water and a little soap to clean the dirt and grime off them.  Then go through case prep including deprime, resize, debur, chamfer, trim, etc where applicable.  At the point I'm ready to prime/charge/seat, I'll run them through the tumbler again with the pins, soap, & lemishine
View Quote
I do the same with really grungy range rifle brass to get the dirt out pre sizing, run an hour and process.  Ive tried it both way, primers in and out, works either way.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I do the same with really grungy range rifle brass to get the dirt out pre sizing, run an hour and process.  Ive tried it both way, primers in and out, works either way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read pins can become lodged in the primers... Never experienced it myself but it seems reasonable so I leave them out until they've been deprimed. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top