Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2017 11:12:16 PM EDT
For those that load 6.8spc,

Which brass do you prefer large primer pocket or small?

Or does it make a difference?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't found any difference to speak of.

My preferred brass is SSA (small primer) followed by hornady (large).
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I use all of it with no issues, but I keep  it separated while reloading
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm tagging this for interest. I just ordered a set of dies and Hornady VMax projectiles for 6.8. I've got a small can with probably 300 cases in it that I'm going to start reloading. Not sure what make they are. I'll know when I'm officially setup to reload it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't found any difference to speak of.

My preferred brass is SSA (small primer) followed by hornady (large).
View Quote
Interdasting..

All of my Hornady is small primer.
The Remington brass i have is large primer though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the replies.

Do you guys use magnum primers? (assuming you are using 6.8 in an AR) or will normal small or large primers be ok.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I use Hornady brass which is small primer. I use CCI small rifle magnum primers with my AA2200 loads.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I take whatever i can get

if I could choose....it would be small

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
All of the brass is over priced. But in on the small.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Small with CCI 450 primer.

I've had good results with S&B brass
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#10]
The only 6.8 brass that should be large primer is Remington.  I use standard large primers with my Remington cases.  For all of my small primer cases (Hornady, SSA, Federal) I use magnum primers.  I keep them separated by primer size, but loads worked up with one seem to shoot just as well in the other. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
So far I've just used SSA.  How many reloads you guys getting out of yours?  Mine look pretty banged up after one reload. (2X fired)  I may have to adjust my gas piston regulator.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use Hornady brass which is small primer. I use CCI small rifle magnum primers with my AA2200 loads.
View Quote
Same loads here but I use Federal brass also.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So far I've just used SSA.  How many reloads you guys getting out of yours?  Mine look pretty banged up after one reload. (2X fired)  I may have to adjust my gas piston regulator.
View Quote
I don't use pistons, but am very experienced with adjustable gas systems. It sounds like a timing issue From too much gas causing the action to being to open during obturation. You need to slow the cyclic rate down.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#14]
There is or has been a huge following in the 6.8 community for SSA brass. I am not impressed with it. I think all 6.8 brass (and 7.62x39mm for that matter) should have a small rifle primer. Powder charges 30 grains and under do not need anything bigger. With that being said some lots of SSA have been noticeably different from previous lots and all of them have primer pockets too deep to uniform.

I purchased a large quantity of 6.8 Remington brass (large primer) almost ten years ago and it has worked just fine. It was cheaper when I bought it and cheap is good. To be honest most of the load data posted on the 68Forums scares the crap out of me. There seems to be a universal disregard for the published data and widespread contempt for anyone using it. I use 28.0 grains of H322 under 115 grain Sierra Match Kings. I use the same load regardless of which brand of brass I load. I have never had any pressure problems and my brass keeps chugging along.

My standard load is a MAXIMUM in several reloading manuals and you should not jump right to it. I use Remington 9.5 standard large rifle primers which are known to be mild. Substituting Winchester, Federal 210M or CCI-#34 primers will require a powder reduction. They have much more "pop" than Remington does.

H322 is accurate, reliable and predictable when used in the cartridge. It's considered "old school" but hammers nice little groups. The people that are pushing the envelope will suffer shortened case life, premature headspace problems, bolt or extractor failures and possibly worse. There is no free lunch.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The only 6.8 brass that should be large primer is Remington. .... 
View Quote
I have some old SSA brass that is large primer.

H322 is my favorite 6.8 powder
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is or has been a huge following in the 6.8 community for SSA brass. I am not impressed with it. I think all 6.8 brass (and 7.62x39mm for that matter) should have a small rifle primer. Powder charges 30 grains and under do not need anything bigger. With that being said some lots of SSA have been noticeably different from previous lots and all of them have primer pockets too deep to uniform.

I purchased a large quantity of 6.8 Remington brass (large primer) almost ten years ago and it has worked just fine. It was cheaper when I bought it and cheap is good. To be honest most of the load data posted on the 68Forums scares the crap out of me. There seems to be a universal disregard for the published data and widespread contempt for anyone using it. I use 28.0 grains of H322 under 115 grain Sierra Match Kings. I use the same load regardless of which brand of brass I load. I have never had any pressure problems and my brass keeps chugging along.

My standard load is a MAXIMUM in several reloading manuals and you should not jump right to it. I use Remington 9.5 standard large rifle primers which are known to be mild. Substituting Winchester, Federal 210M or CCI-#34 primers will require a powder reduction. They have much more "pop" than Remington does.

H322 is accurate, reliable and predictable when used in the cartridge. It's considered "old school" but hammers nice little groups. The people that are pushing the envelope will suffer shortened case life, premature headspace problems, bolt or extractor failures and possibly worse. There is no free lunch.
View Quote
I have just done a little reloading in this caliber so far and started out with H322.  It worked well and was accurate.  I was using Hornady 110 gr BTHP bullets and my starting load was 25.8 grs of H322.  I was getting about 2350 ft/ sec. averages with a light crimp.  My gun is a SAAMI chambered 1:10 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally, I haven't found a penny's difference accuracy or function-wise between small and large primer brass- other than the inherent need to separate them.

My personal preference is for large primer versions, simply because my 550 is most often set up with a large primer rig.

What I would really like is for the brass makers or SAAMI to decide one way or another before it gets worse (i.e.- small pistol .45 ACP cases )
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:52:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Good info fellas!

I also found out that my hornady cases had crimped primer pockets.. had to get the swager out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good info fellas!

I also found out that my hornady cases had crimped primer pockets.. had to get the swager out.
View Quote
Hornady and some other small primer brass are crimped. I run them all though my primer cutter. With price of 6.8 brass I use a brass catcher on my rifle, so after being prepped once, I just clean and resize the brass after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top