Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2017 7:40:40 PM EDT
Hey guys, what's everybody's favorite load for shtf/anti-personnel rounds? (For use against soft human targets)

Rite now my preferred load is 24 grains of h335 under the hornady 55gr fmj/bt/with cannelure, lee factory crimped and a COL of about 2.220 to 2.226, cci sr primers.

It's my most accurate load with h335 but 25.8 to 26 grains does well too but I started getting decent primer flow so I went back down to 24.

I plan on getting a cronograph soon but whatis everybody's bulk "battle round".

Thanks everybody!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
sierra 77 grain tmk in lake city brass with 24 grain of cfe-223 cci 400 primers. also have some barnes tac-x 70 grain home loaded as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 1/9 so I'm sort of limited to mostly lighter grain stuff for rite now :/

I do plan on getting a 1/7 twist 20inch gun I think maybe 16 not sure yet but Il keep that info thank you! :)
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sierra 77 grain tmk in lake city brass with 24 grain of cfe-223 cci 400 primers. also have some barnes tac-x 70 grain home loaded as well.
View Quote
What do you think of the Barnes 55grain tac x compared to something like hornadys gmx bullet?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
25.0 grains of H335 with any quality 55 grain SP seated to mag length and CCI 450 primers is my go to cheap bulk load, so I'm most likely to have that on hand.

It's sure not match ammo, but does well in my AR's with 1/9 or 1/7 twist barrels.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
77gr SIERRA

24.3 TAC

LC brass

winchester primers

2.260"

2787fps

Loaded on an XL650

================
6.9mmSPC

110gr VMAX

H322

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Just about the same load as you OP, but .5gr more powder.   Cheap and effective.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep my bulk .223 handloads on strippers in ammo cans with a couple spoons too.

I think that's the best way to do it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I keep my bulk .223 handloads on strippers in ammo cans with a couple spoons too.

View Quote
+1

Nice

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome thanks everyone, and If I needed to for more velocity I know the 26 works well in my gun but those cases aren't gonna last long.

I have a quick question, if I stopped crimping the bullets, that's gonna lower the pressure correct?

Because from what iv read that should be close to m193 velocity and I'm guessing just as effective on human targets. Maybe Il keep a few mags worth loaded up with the hot stuff for shtf.

I know any bullet is gonna do damage but would the 24 grain yaw and fragment as well as something loaded up to say 3200fps?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Would those strippers work with mags too?

Iv seen them in the one gun shop I go to but never payed them any mind.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The loads I have worked up and prefer is,

For bulk I like Hornady 55 grain FMJ, 24.5-25.0 grains of H335 in Lake city or WCC NATO brass seated to mid cannelure (2.220ish) Lee FCD for crimp.CCI 41 for primers. Loaded on a Dillon 550C.

For a little more accurate work, I load 69 grain Sierra match kings with 25.3 grains of Varget (24.5 grains of Varget also works well) seated to 2.260 in Lake city or WCC NATO brass (match prepped)  light Lee FCD crimp. CCI 41 primers. Sub MOA load for me in a variety of AR's. Loaded on a Redding T7

Also really like for match grade stuff 77 grain Sierra Match kings, loaded with either 22.8 or 23.2 grains of IMR 8208 XBR seated to 2.250 in Lake city or WCC NATO brass (match prepped) Very light crimp using Lee FCD and CCI 41 primers. Also very accurate load for me in a variety of AR's. Loaded on a Redding T7
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
yes the gmx would be a good choice as well as the 62 grain ttsx maybe even a 69 tmk if your barrel would like them, all pretty pricey compared to sp or fmj. a self defense round for me is a bullet that stops in the intended target, absorbing 100% of the energy with that said shot placement is the main concern not bullet type. I stock the 77 tmk and prolly 1000 70 grain tac-x but keep a stock pile of plinking fmj and sp on hand as well. as for barrel length to me it don't matter, from 0-500 yards I really don't think the extra velocity you gain is gonna matter when you have to or choose to shoot something. 16 inch on all mine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#15]
My SHTF load is all and any .223 ammo.

"Isis didn't take most of the Middle East with Gucci ammo". (SGM John "Shrek" McPhee)

Although I am still working up a new load with M855A1 bullets. . These will be my legit SHTF loads.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Awesome thanks everyone, and If I needed to for more velocity I know the 26 works well in my gun but those cases aren't gonna last long.

I have a quick question, if I stopped crimping the bullets, that's gonna lower the pressure correct?

Because from what iv read that should be close to m193 velocity and I'm guessing just as effective on human targets. Maybe Il keep a few mags worth loaded up with the hot stuff for shtf.

I know any bullet is gonna do damage but would the 24 grain yaw and fragment as well as something loaded up to say 3200fps?
View Quote
Truthfully, if what you're doing now is working, I wouldn't change anything.

24.0 grains of H335 with a 55 grain bullet is a fairly respectable and common load for AR's.

If accuracy and reliability are good I'd stick with that, and I think not crimping would theoretically reduce pressure a tiny bit but not enough to matter one way or another with that load.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Could be wrong but pretty sure crimping increases your pressure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
M-193, or better yet, real M855 bullets (not just a lead core only 62 gr bullet) if you need to punch through something first before it reaches the soft target.
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/m855.jpg

As for the M-855a1 bullet, not sure if anyone is selling them yet, but you can find pull down m-855's to reload with instead.
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/m855a102.jpg

If just a direct shot to a soft target, then either Soft point, or a HP bullets since it will transfer all it energy in the first few inches on entry (unlike the M-193 or M855 that will just punch through and not transfer all there energy into the target instead).
View Quote
Exactly wouldn't the op be better off with a 55gr Hornady soft point
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:40:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The spoon goes in a slot on the mag. Then the stripper clip is inserted in the spoon.

Push down on the rounds in the clip and they are inserted into the mag very fast, remove empty clip and replace twice and mag is loaded.

With a little practice it's a very fast system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The spoon goes in a slot on the mag. Then the stripper clip is inserted in the spoon.

Push down on the rounds in the clip and they are inserted into the mag very fast, remove empty clip and replace twice and mag is loaded.

With a little practice it's a very fast system.
Sorry man I meant to say p mags
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:41:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My SHTF load is all and any .223 ammo.

"Isis didn't take most of the Middle East with Gucci ammo". (SGM John "Shrek" McPhee)

Although I am still working up a new load with M855A1 bullets. . These will be my legit SHTF loads.
View Quote
That's an awesome quote hahaha!

And if I had the money I'd buy those by the thousand but they are extremely expensive like over a dollar a head lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

24.0 grains of H335 with a 55 grain bullet is a fairly respectable and common load for AR's.

If accuracy and reliability are good I'd stick with that, and I think not crimping would theoretically reduce pressure a tiny bit but not enough to matter one way or another with that load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think it would be enough to stop the primer flow and ruining the cases after a few reloads?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
M-193, or better yet, real M855 bullets (not just a lead core only 62 gr bullet) if you need to punch through something first before it reaches the soft target.
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/m855.jpg

As for the M-855a1 bullet, not sure if anyone is selling them yet, but you can find pull down m-855's to reload with instead.
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/m855a102.jpg

If just a direct shot to a soft target, then either Soft point, or a HP bullets since it will transfer all it energy in the first few inches on entry (unlike the M-193 or M855 that will just punch through and not transfer all there energy into the target instead).
View Quote
Iv been either eying up the hornady vmax 55 grain or the 55 grain gmx.

They load both of those heads in their tactical ammo for law enforcement, and I'm a big fan of hornady products.

Do you think with the soft point would give enough damage to internal organs? Or would it basicly just blow up within an inch? That's my only fear with a lot of the soft point rounds in this caliber
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#25]
If you must handload for bad times, load a bullet weight that will work in any barrel twist. 1:10 & 1:9 twists are far more common if you end up having to use a pick up rifle because you broke your plastic and aluminum favorite. Max out around 62 to 64 grain, there are a lot of surplus "pulled" bonded core bullets on the market right now to choose from. I'd recommend TAC for your powder needs with heavier bullets. It's also great for 55 gr, and I use it a lot for all 223/5.56 loads.

I would seriously recommend stockpiling as much factory ammo as you can afford to buy, even if it's only a few boxes every payday.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

USGI stripper clips are a great way to store 556 ammo

also great if you're going to a rifle class or machine gun shoot.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#27]
If you look at most reloading manuals 24 grains of most manuals 24 grains of just about any rifle powder will run a 54 grain hornady more than adequately.  I think in fact that combination is a pretty high performer.

I wonder how many you have to buy to get to the sub 10 cent per round range?

That makes it SHTF
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you look at most reloading manuals 24 grains of most manuals 24 grains of just about any rifle powder will run a 54 grain hornady more than adequately.  I think in fact that combination is a pretty high performer.

I wonder how many you have to buy to get to the sub 10 cent per round range?

That makes it SHTF
View Quote
If you're asking about just bullets, Brownells has 55 grain FMJs for around 7 cents shipped. If you're talking about loaded rounds sub 10 cents, you will have to find unusually good deals, or swage your own bullets, and probably use salvaged powder of some kind.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I would get some of the overrun/pulled 62gr fusion bullets and make a SHTF stockpile with them and use TAC for powder.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you're asking about just bullets, Brownells has 55 grain FMJs for around 7 cents shipped. If you're talking about loaded rounds sub 10 cents, you will have to find unusually good deals, or swage your own bullets, and probably use salvaged powder of some kind.
View Quote
Yes bullets only.  I'm going to chase that deal.  I have confidence in the Hornady that if I buy a 1000 they will be as consistent as the ones I buy from Academy for $14.99 per 100.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would get some of the overrun/pulled 62gr fusion bullets and make a SHTF stockpile with them and use TAC for powder.
View Quote
Beware.  I bought 1000 of those from RMR.  They range in weight from 60grains to 64.5 grains.  I don't even want to see what the variance in weights do to my reloads without first segregating them and comparing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is not bad advice, not bad at all. Haven't had much luck getting accuracy below 1.5-2 MOA, but that is better than ball and terminal performance/barrier blind is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Beware.  I bought 1000 of those from RMR.  They range in weight from 60grains to 64.5 grains.  I don't even want to see what the variance in weights do to my reloads without first segregating them and comparing.
View Quote
Huh, did you get the "discount mix" or pulled 62s? You might want to give them a call.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes bullets only.  I'm going to chase that deal.  I have confidence in the Hornady that if I buy a 1000 they will be as consistent as the ones I buy from Academy for $14.99 per 100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dryflash, if this is not acceptable please delete. Just figured I'd make his search easier.

<snip> in threads like these just mention where something can be found, no hot links please. Link was to Brownells. dryflash3
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Haven't got into reloading yet, so I've got a decent stockpile of M193 and M855, but for the mag in the HD Tavor, the first 12 rounds are 77gr Sierra TMK followed by 16 rounds of RA556B.

The ballistic gelatin testing with the TMK is impressive with virtually ideal consistency, depth and violent fragmentation. I figure if 12 rounds of it isn't enough, I'll need some barrier blind 5.56 and I saw the opposite of DocGKR's testing with the RA556B being 200-300fps faster through my chrono than LE223T3.

Max
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Hornady 55 grain FMJBT.

Primers can be CCI, Federal or Tula  (had a couple of duds earlier in the year with Tula primers so I'm thinking of pulling all the brass colored primer rounds to use for plinking/range ammo.

Powders are:

IMR4198 (favorite for years but for real accuracy I have to weigh the charges as neither powder measure throws it consistently.)

BLC2 (just recently started using it.  Measures consistently and gives me small groups, might not buy anymore IMR4198 for 55 grain loads)

H335 (measures even more consistently than BLC2 - barely, but it's slightly better and also gives very good accuracy).

Tried TAC a couple of years back.  Accuracy was best at a lower powder charge that functioned well in my 16" carbines but not in my 20" rifles - when it was near freezing temperatures.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:47:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly what I've done.

25gr Tac.
CCI #41 primers.  

In red neck gel testing (aka water jugs and what not), it appears to be a very nasty load.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#39]
24.5 grains of BL-C(2) , 55 gr Hornady FMJ's  with mixed brass, and winchester SRP or cci 400's is what I fill ammo cans up with.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Exactly what I've done.

25gr Tac.
CCI #41 primers.  

In red neck gel testing (aka water jugs and what not), it appears to be a very nasty load.
View Quote
I love redneck water jugs...

Attachment Attached File

300 BLK 110gr Tac-TX

For 5.56 loads, for the most part (95%) Im loading the 55gr Hornady SP or the 62gr Barnes TTSX.
 The Barnes load is my "go to" if needed.
The 55gr is for everything else.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I 've done a lot of hog hunting with the 223 and used a lot if different bullets.

The best load I have found so far is 26.8 grns of CFE 223 and a 70 grn Barnes TSX

I have also had very good results with this load.
25.5 grns of H335 and either a Barnes 55grn TTSX or Sierra 55grn Gameking HPBT
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#42]
23.5v gr TAC
Winchester case
Winchester small rifle primer
75 gr Hornady HPBT-M bullet
2.235" OAL

It works well* in all my rifles and pressure is safe in those firearms.

*  Works well = feeds and functions 100% reliably and is accurate to at lest 300 yards, even from a 16" barrel (1/8" twist rate).
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Similar but with XBR
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Most of my stash is Hornady 55 FMJ over H-335, lately I've been loading mostly 69gr Matchkings Over Norma 202.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Huh, did you get the "discount mix" or pulled 62s? You might want to give them a call.
View Quote
pulled 62grain
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a bunch of Hornady 55gr FMJs to load up for stash ammo.

Then my shooting buddy found 77gr Noslers for super cheap.

We developed a load with CFE that is pushing 2750 out of a 16 inch gun.

Decided on the 77s because they work better out of my SBR
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Do you think it would be enough to stop the primer flow and ruining the cases after a few reloads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think not crimping would lower the pressure any measurable amount, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hey guys, what's everybody's favorite load for shtf/anti-personnel rounds? (For use against soft human targets)

Rite now my preferred load is 24 grains of h335 under the hornady 55gr fmj/bt/with cannelure, lee factory crimped and a COL of about 2.220 to 2.226, cci sr primers.

It's my most accurate load with h335 but 25.8 to 26 grains does well too but I started getting decent primer flow so I went back down to 24.

I plan on getting a cronograph soon but whatis everybody's bulk "battle round".

Thanks everybody!
View Quote

I've shot quite a few deer and varmints with .22 caliber soft points and believe me they do NASTY things to internal organs. When gutting something such as a deer that's been killed by a 55 or 60 gr. SP, there's always lots of blood in the plural cavity along with globs of lung.

I shoot lots of 69 gr. Sierra MK's and they are extremely accurate even out of my base-model AR's and their issue sights. And don't let anyone tell you they won't stabilize in a 1-9" twist. Both the targets below were fired at 200 yds. and both rifles have 9" twists.

The load I use for the 69 gr. bullet is 23.0 grs. of H-322. Velocity is 2700 fps from the 16" and 2780 fps from the 20".

I doubt seriously that any "soft" target is going to know whether they were hit with a 69 gr. or a 77 gr. bullet.

Until a range fire destroyed it a few years ago, I had a 600 yd. range laid out along my north fence on which the local 4-H kids would practice prone slow prior to their annual trip to Camp Perry. Their ammunition was provided for them through donations and they shot Hornady factory loaded with 75 gr. bullets. The coach, who is a friend of mine, told be that some of the kids whose rifles had 9" twists were getting acceptable 600 yds. accuracy with 75 gr. HP's, but not with the longer A-Max version.

I personally am not crazy about HP ammunition for use on soft targets because I've know of instances when it simply penciled straight through flesh doing almost no damage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Any love for the Winchester 64 grain powerpoint?  It looks like they can be had for about the same price as the Hornady 55 grain SP in smaller quantities.  I've read conflicting info on this bullet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#50]
There are a lot of dead deer from the Win 64 gr sp. I would not feel naked with it. It may not give you the "barrier blind" capabilities of more high tech offerings, but if it contacts flesh it's going to be nasty.

Shape limits long rage ballistics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top