Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2017 3:38:15 AM EDT
Please don't give me grief about the title it's a cast bullet thing.

I tried the cast boolit forum, not much action there so I'm asking you guys.

Is anyone using the Lee 55gr cast in their AR-15 ?

My goal (if possible) is to find a load that will cycle the action using a non gas checked powder coated boolit (bullet).

Thanks

Motor
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have tried some,,, it is hard to get them to NOT tumble,,

Now that, I can, find,, bullets again,, I just buy lots and lots,,,of jacketed,
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be doing the same someday, so I'll be watching as well.

I had great success with my 155gr pc'ed 300 BO Boolits, hoping for the same experience with my 55gr loads as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm on that forum as well so I know what you mean.
I started casting Bators two years ago and am still in process on loads. Heart surgery put a dent in my range visits last year.
Mine cast at 53 gr. I do size at .224" and gas check. I'd think PC'ed bullets would act the same?
Surprised you didn't find info on the site. It's not overwhelming but it's there.
I'm up to 8.5 gr of Red Dot (max is 8.6). Lower amounts did not cycle the AR consistently.
I did start using a Lee expander die to bell out the cases to prevent shaving the bullets. Damn, I miss using my son's competition die to load. It made it so easy.
Maybe someone else will kick in with more info on this. Would be nice to expand on this.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#5]
So far one person said 19gr 4895 with 3/4gr tuft of dacron. Sorry but this guy doesn't mess with any fillers.

Another reply said no luck with accuracy without the gas check but didn't offer any data. I personally never had any problems with accuracy using gas check designed bullets without the gas check but this fellow said he actually tested both ways.

I always do my own work ups but knowing the experiences of others always help.

Keep em coming. It will probably be about a month before I have the chance to test.

BTW: There is no special reason for this it's just something else to mess with.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I posted some subscribed links on your post over there.  I also read filler is not a god idea in AR's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
18grns h4895, no filler, runs my guns,
runs about 2kfps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:53:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Uncle_Timmy] [#8]
I got good results with 19.5gr of W-748, powder coated, but they were gas-checked. And was only able to stretch out to 25yds. I need to get back to testing this at longer distances.

Was also testing H4895, gas-checked, at the same distance. W-748 had noticeably tighter groups. Both loads cycled the action without issue, and locked the bolt back on last round.

Maybe I'll cast another batch and NOT use gas checks on them this time.

[E.T.A = Don't have a chrono, so I cant help you with those numbers.]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the "bator" mold that lee made a few years ago.  

Bullet weighs right at 50 gr.
16.2gr of reloader 7
Not sure of velocity but it cycles a 16 inch AR 15 no problem.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to everyone for the input both here and on the castboolits forum.

I've got some good information to work with now and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

I'll report when I get some results, good or bad.

dryflash3. You will probably get to shoot yours first. I hope you will post results.

I'm looking forward to more real world results from you other guys too.

Thanks again

Motor
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I think I may need to pick up a pound of Reloder-7.  I am going to gas check, bought some to start with, but also picked up a gas check maker, used pop cans is all you need. So they say.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 2:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#12]
Dave."so they say" is very correct.

Gas checks are not one size fits all. If the bullets were designed for gas checks you need gas checks that are made of at least a certain thickness material so that they can be swedged on to the bullets.

An example: The Lee 160gr 2R TL that I use for 30 caliber. When I first got this mould I wanted to use it for a 91-30. I didn't want to decrease the bullet diameter when checking so I used a .314" die to install the checks.

As it turned out .314" minus .028" (Hornady gas checks are .014" material) was still only about the same diameter of the bullets where the check fits.

Just imagine what it would be like with a .005" thick pop can !!!!!!

Motor
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:24:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#14]
My 160gr 2R TL drop at just over .313" My 91-30 groove diameter is about .3135ish. So I'm installing the gas check with a .314" push through die. I'm using the .314" because it won't make my bullets any smaller. Plus having the gas check less than one thousandth inch diameter larger than the rest of the bullet it not going to hurt anything.

Motor
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
No direct experience with cast bullets in the 556 but I do have some thoughts

Most cast bullet sources claim plain lead is limited to 1200-1400 fps and gas check to something like 1800. My actual experience with 44mag shows 1800fps+ with a hard cast plain base (no gas check) to work just dandy in my Marlin cowboy lever. This gun has "Ballard cut rifling" not the micro-grove.

Not sure what is more likely to function , rifle length or carbine ? bound to be a difference

Most everyone in this thread is talking 50 or 55gr bullets , is there anything heavier available? Strikes me that at whatever your speed limit is (without shredding the bullet)
You will be developing more pressure behind the heavy bullet and that would be more likely to function the action.

My experience with cast has shown they can work well in most barrels but the least bit of copper fouling will shred the lead . For best results use a heavy duty copper solvent before you try the lead.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes there are moulds for heavier bullets but the 55gr is what this thread is about. (Primarily because that's the mould my brother bought. )

As you so correctly pointed out it is (this is no longer seems) easier to push the bigger bore guns harder and with softer alloy especially when powder coated.

I shoot 12bhn hardness for everything I cast right now. Yes I still use gas checks on the high teens velocity 30 caliber ammo but when I have time I'm going to try them un-checked too. I am powder coating all of my boolits.

Motor
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Motor1:
Dave."so they say" is very correct.

Gas checks are not one size fits all. If the bullets were designed for gas checks you need gas checks that are made of at least a certain thickness material so that they can be swedged on to the bullets.

An example: The Lee 160gr 2R TL that I use for 30 caliber. When I first got this mould I wanted to use it for a 91-30. I didn't want to decrease the bullet diameter when checking so I used a .314" die to install the checks.

As it turned out .314" minus .028" (Hornady gas checks are .014" material) was still only about the same diameter of the bullets where the check fits.

Just imagine what it would be like with a .005" thick pop can !!!!!!

Motor
View Quote

Very true, the maker of the GC die has very explicit instructions as to what material to use. I need to pick some up someday to have around. I have read articles of people using different materials and thickness's. As you said above, just another thing to screw around with someday. I need to live to be VERY old, with the amount of projects I'm amassing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I cast a RCBS mold and water drenched clip on wheel weights and they weigh 62 grains after powder coating. I use a LEE .225 sizer after powder coating. I use HF yellow when I spray and HF red when I shake and bake.
One load that works great in my single shot H&R is 4.5gr. of red dot. I also load 19gr of WC844 and 9.0 of SR7625 and its been a long time since I shot them in an AR but I believe they cycled ok but they weren't as accurate
as the single shot . I made a jig out of a piece of 1/8 " aluminum plate and spent 22LR cases to hold my cast boolits nose down so when I spray them all of the boolits get powder coated except the nose and they look cool.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 11:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#21]
Thanks. More great info. I can see the 19gr of WC-844 possibly cycling the AR but don't think the other loads would.

Dave. I know what you mean. I have many projects in the works too.

ETA: Wow !! I just looked at some data. 19gr of WC-844 would be around 2700fps !!!! I don't know if I'm ready to try that yet. I'm looking at maybe 2000fps.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:39:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#22]
My brother bought a .224" size die. I was not happy with that so I opened it up a little. My bullets are .2255"

He also got .008" thick aluminum gas checks. I didn't like how they fit prior to PC plus it would mean sizing twice so I installed them after PC.

This wasn't going very well right from the start so I decided to size them base up. It's a good thing the bullets have a flat nose.

This started out ok until one got tight and I made a .22 caliber wadd cutter. After that I lubed the die periodically with RCBS case lube on a nylon case neck brush. This worked well enough.

I'm going to make a dummy round next and check chambering. If all goes well I'm going to load some test rounds.

Tomorrow should be test shoot day.

I will be testing with and without gas checks. I won't be chronographing just checking for function lead fouling and hopefully accuracy.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope it goes well for you.

I'll be watching for the results as I'm thinking about doing almost exactly what you are doing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:30:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#25]
I'll be going this afternoon. I have 4 loads to shoot with and without gas checks. 80 rounds total.

I did notice a slight difference in OAL between the checked rounds and the un-checked. It's about .020" which wasn't worth adjusting for. I'm sure this is from tip compression from sizing bottom end up.

I loaded RL-7 15 and 16gr. The Lyman cast bullet manual supports this.

I also loaded H-4895 18 and 19gr. I couldn't find cast data to support this but did find jacketed data and used Hodgdon's 60% rule for reducing H-4895.

The nice thing about using H-4895 is you can't make a over pressure load. The casing will only hold about 27gr and max jacketed for a 55gr bullet is 26gr.

I can't say the same for RL-7. The casing will also hold 27gr of it so if for some reason you had an overcharge you could possibly get about 3grs over max jacketed data load.

I don't know if that's enough to go kaboom with a cast bullet but don't want to find out either.
On a side note I loaded some 340gr Lee 45-70 too for the first time. They really look like red lipstick.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#26]
After finding your best load today I'd:

Load 20 more of the same load/bullet.

Coat another batch of bullets this time water quench them when they come out of the oven and size 1/2 of them the same as the test bullets above.
Test a load using the un-sized bullets also.

The end result will be re-testing your best load + using it as a baseline.
Testing a harder bullet.
Testing a harder bullet with a larger diameter.

If there's no changes in group size that tells you your alloy is good for the load/pressures your using. If the groups shrink with one of the harder/larger bullets. Then test/push that bullet harder/faster until it fails.

I water quench my rifle bullets anymore. If you size them right after they are water cooled it's a lot easier. I did a batch and got busy doing other things and forgot about them. 10 day later I found them and sized them. They age hardened and were a lot harder to size.

I've been looking at molds for the 223 and really haven't seen anything I like. There's been some talk over on the castboolits website about a bullet that looks promising. It's a 80gr bullet with a flat nose like the bullet your using with a bevel base and no grease groove. It's flat bodied for pc'ing. The heavier lead bullets make it easier to find a load that will cycle the ar's.

Looking forward to your results Motor1
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I found my short post from 2015 on cb forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?280888-PC-Hm2-223-quick-range-trip&highlight=
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?280888-PC-Hm2-223-quick-range-trip&highlight=

What you meant to do. Use the Chain icon in the post window.

Thanks for the link.
View Quote
Ah-ha, that's exactly what I meant to do, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#30]
Back from the range. First the details.

Rifle: Hardened Arms 16" with 1-9 5.56 chamber. Full float barrel.

Optics:TruGlo red dot with 2.5 MOA reticle.

This upper had only about 50 rounds fired from it before today. For this reason I kept the action wet with CLP while testing. I didn't start with it wet but had it in mind and did have to lube it to get function with the 15gr and 16gr RL-7 loads.

My son who in on rifle team at school did all the shooting. All the testing was at 50 yards.

As a base line he fired a 10 shot group with our plinking load which is 22gr of WC-844 with Hornady 55gr FMJ. This group is 1.5"

I realize a better optic would very likely have helped but this early in the game I'm basically looking to see if this even has a change of working.

The results:

All 4 powder charges ran the rifle with bolt lock back. The RL-7 loads were weakest in function.

All groups are 10 shot at 50 yards.

15gr RL-7 with gas check: 4.5"

16gr RL-7 with gas check: 4.5"

18gr H-4895 with gas check: 8 of 10 under 2" with total 3" definitely worth shooting again.

19gr H-4895 with gas check: 3.7"

Next was testing without gas checks. It became very apparent very soon these are not going to work without the checks. The groups were not groups although they did stay on the target backing. I'm guessing about 2 feet at 50 yards.

There is no evidence of bullet or PC failure. The bore was as free of fouling as if shooting jacketed bullets they simply don't shoot accurately without the checks. This is a first for me I cast and shoot a few other bullets that are designed for gas checks with and without using the checks and have not had this happen before.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I guy posted that his results without gas checks were just like what I got.

Another pointed out that if you look closely at the Lee 55gr RF the gas check actually makes up half of the bearing surface so without it maybe they are unstable.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
dryflash3 I'm anxiously awaiting your results.

I shot a couple more groups today using 17.5gr H-4895 accuracy at 50 yards is still 3-4 inches. I'm starting to wonder if they can get better.

I'm not having any issues with the bullets or function. I'm sure I could sit there and shoot a hundred rounds and all would be inside a 5 inch circle at 50 yards but was hoping for better.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#35]
How fast is that 8.5gr Red Dot load?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:57:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#36]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:41:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SGHinds] [#37]
I shot some test loads this weekend. Granted my rest wasn't the best but had decent groups with 19gr of Win 748. I tested with and without gas checks and didn't see much of an accuracy difference. I tested in .5 increments from 19 -23gr. 19gr gave me about a 2.5 in group at 100 yards (see photo). All of mine functioned the action fine. I had one tumble and hit sideways with 22gr but overall was happy with the results. The higher the charge the worse the accuracy got.

These are from the Lee 225-55 6 cavity mold, powder coated with shake and bake method and sized after coating to .225 in a Lee push though sizer.

I plan on going lower with my charges just a touch and may test 17-19gr again with a better rest and bench.

I do not own a chronograph, so do not know velocity

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the feedback. I read on another forum where a guy was getting ok results with W-748. I'm currently out of 748 and really don't have any other need for it right now.

I have worked loads up with it using 55gr jacketed and got very good accuracy so I guess it wouldn't be a loss if I bought a pound to try with the cast bullets and it don't do well.

One other note: I'm using a light crimp with Lee FCD basically just removing the mouth flare. I had one round where the bullet hit the feed ramp and got pushed back into the casing. Luckily the round did not fully chamber. I don't know what it would have done but causing a Squibb and sticking a bullet in the barrel would probably a good possibility.

I think from now on I'll be using a functional crimp.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I am giving it a decent crimp with a Lee FCD as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#40]
hmm I'm going to have to try these one day. I bought the mold but planned on using them in a bolt gun for the kids.

I wonder how well this mold would do if I cut out the gas check and flat based it on the lathe. I was planning on doing the shake and bake only without checks so I may have to flat base it from the word go and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#41]
ost
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I loaded with and without gas checks and saw no real difference. Unless you really want to remove the gas check shank from the mold, just cast, coat and shoot them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#43]
RCBS makes a 2 cav mold for a 55gr flat point that looks like it could have been LEE's inspiration. Powder charges from the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1.

Edit: BBcode sucks for making tables!

WW748*19.0 gr.2136 fps
*17.0 gr.1927 fps
BLC2*15.0 gr.2085 fps
*13.0 gr.1797 fps
IMR 419814.0 gr.2132 fps
12.0 gr.1831 fps
Red Dot8.6 gr.2089 fps
6.6 gr.1847 fps
PB8.5 gr.1977 fps
6.5 gr.1641 fps
SR475912.0 gr.2052 fps
10.0 gr.1741 fps
Unique8.5 gr.2158 fps
7.5 gr.1911 fps
SR 76258.3 gr.1932 fps
6.3 gr.1682 fps
Green Dot8.6 gr.2090 fps
7.2 gr.1837 fps
700X7.5 gr.1992 fps
5.5 gr.1711 fps

"*" Indicates use of a Magnum primer

24" barrel 1-12 twist
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SGHinds:
I loaded with and without gas checks and saw no real difference. Unless you really want to remove the gas check shank from the mold, just cast, coat and shoot them.
View Quote
You are the only one to say he didn't see much difference. Everyone else including me saw our groups go from 3" at 50 yards to 2 feet or more at 50 yards.

I guess you could cut out the gas check bore on a lathe but I think using a vertical mill would be a much easier set up.

Even easier yet would be a reamer with the end ground down to gas check bore size to act as a pilot.

Thanks for the load data. It's likely that only the top 2 and possibly the 4198 load would be the only ones that cycle the AR.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Not my vid....

How I'm Reloading 223 for $.10 Per Round | CountryBoyPrepper
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Personally I didn't get any helpful information from watching the video except maybe that AR comp powder will also work.

Notice no mention of accuracy or targets showing accuracy results. The only visible target I saw was in pistol range.

No mention of gas checks barrel twist rate or velocity.  

Not much help eh?

Motor
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:17:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_DUDE] [#48]
I have some cast from the same Lee mold that I powder coated. I am using 4227 and running then in my 7.5" AR pistol.

No gas check, powder coated and not sized.

I have only fired for function and had to go up to 18.0 grains of 4227 to get reliable BHO. Keep in mind, I have the short barrel.

They function and don't lead the barrel, need to shoot for accuracy and run them over a chrony. I am guessing about 2200 FPS??

I actually think the slightly oversized bullet is going to help with accuracy....maybe not.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 2:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor1] [#49]
Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
I have some cast from the same Lee mold that I powder coated. I am using 4227 and running then in my 7.5" AR pistol.

No gas check, powder coated and not sized.

I have only fired for function and had to go up to 18.0 grains of 4227 to get reliable BHO. Keep in mind, I have the short barrel.

They function and don't lead the barrel, need to shoot for accuracy and run them over a chrony. I am guessing about 2200 FPS??

I actually think the slightly oversized bullet is going to help with accuracy....maybe not.
View Quote
Please post your results. This has been on the back burner for me for a while. dryflash3 is supposed to post an update when he has a chance.

I've read about accuracy claims and even saw posted photos of targets that I still have a hard time believing considering my own experience especially with non gas checked bullets. I had no issues with bullet failure checked or un-checked (I do powder coat). I'm still seriously considering removing the gas check bore from my mold cavities and going with a plain flat base powder coated bullet.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I sure will.

I don't know when I will get out, but hope to sooner than later.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top