Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 2:10:53 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good bullet to load up for my 6.8 spc sbr, it is a 11.5" Bison Armory barrel with a 1:7 twist. I've been shooting Federal msr 90 grain bonded soft points, they are the same bullet as in the xm68gd. I've looked high and low for pulled gold dot bullets but they seem to have dried up and haven't been available for a few years from what I've read.

The Barmes 95 ttsx looks good but I was also looking at the Nosler 90 grain bonded soft point. I haven't found any ballistics tests of the Nosler 90's so I haven't bought any yet. I did pick up 100 of the Speer 90 tnt hp bullets to see what I come up with accuracy wise. If I can find something cheaper than the Barnes I'm all for it, I plan to use which ever I pick exclusively in this rifle because it's only used to hunt hog, deer, and coyote.

I was hoping to get some loads worked up for my last whitetail hunt in 7 days but that may be a long shot. I can always use the Federals as I have plenty of them stashed away and I know they expand out of my barrel. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:14:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked the same question on 68forum and was directed to the GMX 100gr. Haven't loaded them up yet. Folks said they out performed the Barnes.

7 days isn't much time to get a load developed. I would probably just go Full Boar factory loaded at this point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Hornady 120 SST, especially with that fast twist.

I think it is one of the gold standards for performance on deer in the 6.8.

FWIW, they have been very crappy on accuracy out of my .277 Wlv in a 1-11" barrel

The Barnes bullets have a fairly long shank for their weight and work well also

YMMV

One week is not a lot of time to develop a load that I would trust for hunting unless I was retired. Even still , you will have to wait for any new bullets to arrive unless you have a local source. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to stop by my local supply house and see what they have. I really want to do some testing with the 90 grain bonded Nosler, but I doubt I'll have a good idea of expansion on my timeline.

If they perform anything like the gold dot and have good accuracy I don't see a reason to use anything else. It would be nice if the gold dot pulls started showing up again but that is a long shot from the looks of things.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I used one of the 130gr bonded soft point pulls that RMR sells in bulk. 50yd shot, 14.5" barrel, and it absolutely obliterated the lungs and heart with very little meat damage on a 125lb buck last year. Loaded over 8208XBR. Entered and exited through ribs too. They shoot pretty well too, right around 1.3 MOA out of my PSA 14.5" (but this might be me -- I need to do more testing. My buddy got similar results with the same ammo in his PSA 16"), and 0.9 MOA out of my 16" ARP w/ a Form 1 freeze plug suppressor.

I bought some 130gr Grand Slams from them to use this season, just because they were a fantastic price (and not pulls). Haven't loaded or shot them yet though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
95gr TTSX and AA2200 is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably don't have much time but you might try these sometime.

Cavity Back MKZ 105 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Remington Core Lokt 110gr
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered some 90 gr bonded Noslers to try and the tried and true Barnes 95 ttsx. I'm going to stick with the Federal msr 90 soft points this weekend as I know they work. I plan to do some testing and see how the Noslers expand out to 200 yards in the coming weeks. If they perform anything like the factory loaded Speer soft points then I will be happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top