Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2017 12:06:25 AM EDT
So my local range had a few "Intro to USPSA" nights. I checked it out a couple times. And I'll be damned, it was a blast!

I'm running with a Glock G22. I shoot well with it. And besides, its what I have. So I'm really not interested in opinions on the firearm.

What I'm really interested in is load advice.

The three nights I've played so far I've run Berry's 180gr HHP or Xtreme 180gr HP's over 4.5 gr Titegroup. That load seems to work.

I also have several hundred 175gr TC cast and powder coated that I'm going to try out.

Am I limiting myself with heavy bullets and Titegroup?

I have some 155gr and 165gr Berry's, and several different kinds of powder. Universal, Clays, CFE Pistol, HP38, HS-6, Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, and I think a few others.

Any suggestions? Any pet loads? I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't load 40 yet even though I think I'll end up with one for the same purpose. 

I shoot a 9mm with 147s and TG. The 40 guys seem to like the same thing - heavy bullets and fast powders. 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't load 40 yet even though I think I'll end up with one for the same purpose. 

I shoot a 9mm with 147s and TG. The 40 guys seem to like the same thing - heavy bullets and fast powders
View Quote

This is what you want.  Most guys use 180 but I know more that a few who use 200s.

my 40 major load is a 180 blue bullet over 4.7 of ramshot comp at 1.130.  This load is for a 1911 I use for single stack and dose not run well in my glocks I think its just a  hair to long. but is a good starting point.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The heavy 40 loads are , I hate to use this word, less snappy.
That's why you will see a lot of guys using them. Faster follow up shots.  200 gr was popular till they started blowing out at the ramp, stay clear of 200 with the glock.   Looks like you have found a load that pretty much matches mine other than powder, but I happened on a yuuuuuge lot of 231 years back and I'm still burning it up.
Have fun, that is a fun game.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
This is where I got my recipes. My STI load would not serve you well. There is lot of glock info.
http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/forum/73-10mm40-caliber/

That forum is well regarded in USPSA.
Look around the website it's gear to the sport.
If you are new to competition shooting order Brian's book on the home page.

Good luck.,
Best advice I can give you is find the best person at the match and study his play.  
For me it was the faster way forward. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
In my G35 I prefer:

180gr plated with 3.4gr TG
200gr lead with 3.2gr TG
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is where I got my recipes. My STI load would not serve you well. There is lot of glock info.
http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/forum/73-10mm40-caliber/

That forum is well regarded in USPSA.
Look around the website it's gear to the sport.
If you are new to competition shooting order Brian's book on the home page.

Good luck.,
Best advice I can give you is find the best person at the match and study his play.  
For me it was the faster way forward. Good luck.
View Quote

Brian Enos is where you want to go.  Look for a 180gr with a fast powder with a velocity at least 925fps to meet 165pf.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Brian Enos is where you want to go.  Look for a 180gr with a fast powder with a velocity at least 925fps to meet 165pf.
View Quote

40 S&W to make Major with a 180gr = 917 FPS,, that should be easy middle of road book load with having to "gas up" the load.

I just shot a GSSF indoor yesterday with my G22 (first time with G22) using some 180gr Blue Bullets and 4.2gr Titegroup.. bought a box of Xtreme 165's to play with a month or so ago
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I use 180 gr Berrys with 5.1gr  universal clays or 5.2gr Titegroup  in my M&P 40
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the links and info. Much appreciated. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

After 2 "Intro" nights, and one real match already, I think I'm really gonna enjoy this.

So heavy bullets and fast powder. Any advantage/disadvantage to bullet type? HP, HHP, RNFP, TC?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
You might want to load minor for a while and then work your way up to major. I load my Glock 22 and 35 on the mild side. Less recoil than my 17/34

Loading a 180 grain SNS FP with 3.8 grains if WST. accurate, mild and works great on steel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to charge my .40 majors with Clays powder.

That is straight clays.

It looks like this:

If I remember the rumor mill story correctly, the factory (in Australia?) that made Clays caught on fire or blew up.  So you couldn't get it for the longest time.  It is now trickling back into the states, now, supposedly.

I am away from my 3 ring binder of a reloading "cookbook" right now, but I want to say it was something like 3.8 grains of Clays under a 180 grain Berry's plated bullet.

But then again, I also shot .40 at minor in production.  

I'll be back later to clarify it.

I will second the motion on the Brian Enos forums.  However, I have heard more realistic or pragmatic reviews about Brian's book.  I don't know how true this is, but I heard it takes 4 pages for Brian to describe drawing a gun from a holster.  You might be better served by Ben Stoeger's books or videos.  Or by Steve Andersen's books.

Granted we are skirting the boundaries of the reloading forum, but I had an epiphany a few years back that spending 5 hours at a match or a total of 6 hours carpooling to a match to do a minute to 2 minutes of actual shooting was really dumb.  I bet if you looked at the classifier pages of the top 10 GM's you'll see that they are NOT shooting a match every weekend.

It is easy to get hooked on the adrenaline rush of running and gunning.  Yes, it is fun, but ultimately you have to ask yourself what do you want to get out of competing in USPSA.  What are your goals?

A.  Be the next Rob Leatham

B.  Have fun and enjoy the cameraderie

C.  Somewhere in the middle between A and B
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm shooting 5.5 to 5.6 grains of Power Pistol with Hornady 200 grain flat point fmj's. I'm seating them .010" longer than Hornady's manual suggests. I get 860 fps from my Glock 23. This should be considered a maximum load based on several manuals and what my brass looks like after being fired. The brass shows very mild Glock bulging, but I have never blown a case in over 3000 rounds fired.

The 200 grain bullets are accurate, reliable and don't kick. 135's driven to 1200 fps are unsettling to shoot IMO. The fireball, recoil and muzzle flip is considerable. I get none of that with the heavier bullets in .40 S&W.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#15]
TG powder and lead bullets (even coated) will smoke pretty good.  Switch either the bullets or powder.
Regarding bullet profile (RN, FP, HP, ETC.) Select the profile and construction  ( plated, coated, etc.) that is listed for the powder you're using.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm currently using 4.8gr of American Select under a Blue Bullets RNFP 180, 1.165 in my M&P, accurate, but boomy like Power Pistol, faster than I need to be, 970fps, and not the best metering. I fell for someone else's raving. Dropping charge resulted in bad accuracy and terrible ES and SD numbers.

I have TG and toyed with it, will probably go back there, Bullseye, or Red Dot when I burn up this AS. Fast and heavy serves me well in 9mm minor, and 45ACP, expect the same in 40S&W may even go to 200s.

Bullet profile largely depends on what will feed, I suggest you always get a small box or sample pack before committing to a large order. HPs often give better accuracy than others for whatever reason. FPs and TCs usually cut a cleaner hole than RN, which can help for scoring. RN often feed the best, however in 40 with a heavy bullet a true RN may have to be seated very deep, some into the ogive, or to the point the case wall starts tapering, which will bulge the case and/or swage the bullet, neither of which is good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I use TG and 180gn jacketed.

About the same load as you, just with a longer OAL.

It has served me well for many years.  I don't shoot Limited much anymore, but I still have a 20mm ammo can full of ammo and an almost new 5.5 inch gun to use when I get the itch.

L-2598
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used to charge my .40 majors with Clays powder.

That is straight clays.

It looks like this:

http://www.gamaliel.com/images/HodgdonClays_L.jpg

If I remember the rumor mill story correctly, the factory (in Australia?) that made Clays caught on fire or blew up.  So you couldn't get it for the longest time.  It is now trickling back into the states, now, supposedly.

I am away from my 3 ring binder of a reloading "cookbook" right now, but I want to say it was something like 3.8 grains of Clays under a 180 grain Berry's plated bullet.

But then again, I also shot .40 at minor in production.  

I'll be back later to clarify it.

I will second the motion on the Brian Enos forums.  However, I have heard more realistic or pragmatic reviews about Brian's book.  I don't know how true this is, but I heard it takes 4 pages for Brian to describe drawing a gun from a holster.  You might be better served by Ben Stoeger's books or videos.  Or by Steve Andersen's books.

Granted we are skirting the boundaries of the reloading forum, but I had an epiphany a few years back that spending 5 hours at a match or a total of 6 hours carpooling to a match to do a minute to 2 minutes of actual shooting was really dumb.  I bet if you looked at the classifier pages of the top 10 GM's you'll see that they are NOT shooting a match every weekend.

It is easy to get hooked on the adrenaline rush of running and gunning.  Yes, it is fun, but ultimately you have to ask yourself what do you want to get out of competing in USPSA.  What are your goals?

A.  Be the next Rob Leatham

B.  Have fun and enjoy the cameraderie

C.  Somewhere in the middle between A and B
View Quote

I picked up a pound of that exact powder to try out at some point. If you can offer and load advice, that would be awesome.

And I have no delusions about being the next great champion or anything. Age-wise, I'm on the wrong side of 50. Bad feet, bad knees, bad back. And somewhat, shall we say portly?, in stature. I'm in it purely for fun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm shooting 5.5 to 5.6 grains of Power Pistol with Hornady 200 grain flat point fmj's. I'm seating them .010" longer than Hornady's manual suggests. I get 860 fps from my Glock 23. This should be considered a maximum load based on several manuals and what my brass looks like after being fired. The brass shows very mild Glock bulging, but I have never blown a case in over 3000 rounds fired.

The 200 grain bullets are accurate, reliable and don't kick. 135's driven to 1200 fps are unsettling to shoot IMO. The fireball, recoil and muzzle flip is considerable. I get none of that with the heavier bullets in .40 S&W.
View Quote

Thanks for that info. I have a bunch of Power Pistol onhand. I'll add that to my list of things to try.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:24:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm currently using 4.8gr of American Select under a Blue Bullets RNFP 180, 1.165 in my M&P, accurate, but boomy like Power Pistol, faster than I need to be, 970fps, and not the best metering. I fell for someone else's raving. Dropping charge resulted in bad accuracy and terrible ES and SD numbers.

I have TG and toyed with it, will probably go back there, Bullseye, or Red Dot when I burn up this AS. Fast and heavy serves me well in 9mm minor, and 45ACP, expect the same in 40S&W may even go to 200s.
View Quote

In my limited reading over at Brian Enos, there seems to be a lot of love for American Select. A lot a lot of hate. Essentially the same deal with TG.

I've tried several other powders in stuff I shoot for fun. But I always seem to come back to TG. And 4.5gr seems to be in the ballpark. Some run a bit hotter, some not so much.

I have 2 weeks worth of my current load made up. When that runs out, I'm going to play with OAL a little. Been running at 1.125, but it seems like folks are running longer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use TG and 180gn jacketed.

About the same load as you, just with a longer OAL.

It has served me well for many years.  I don't shoot Limited much anymore, but I still have a 20mm ammo can full of ammo and an almost new 5.5 inch gun to use when I get the itch.

L-2598
View Quote

Thanks for that info. It's good to know I'm not completely out in left field!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Glock .40 cal barrels have been accused of making bulges at the base of the case due to less support in the factory chamber.  It's in an area where some dies don't iron the bulge out.

Most uspsa shooters scam the brass on the ground at matches to keep reloads cheap so if you pick up brass you'll be getting some bulged cases.  Most .40 shooters get a special die to iron out the bulges.  I use a Redding push-thru die on all my .40 brass as an extra step on a single stage before reloading on a progressive.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In my limited reading over at Brian Enos, there seems to be a lot of love for American Select. A lot a lot of hate. Essentially the same deal with TG.

I've tried several other powders in stuff I shoot for fun. But I always seem to come back to TG. And 4.5gr seems to be in the ballpark. Some run a bit hotter, some not so much.

I have 2 weeks worth of my current load made up. When that runs out, I'm going to play with OAL a little. Been running at 1.125, but it seems like folks are running longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good plan.  TG has proven to be a safe for Major 40 using published factory data.  I am on BE.com (was even "member of the month" once) and I've seen the critical posts on TG; largely the complaints are

1) it burns hot - and that's true.  It has the highest percent nitro of current double base propellants (37%) and after a 34 round USPSA field course, your Glock barrel will be hot to the touch - even hotter than other powders like N-320.  But, the heat is largely irrelevant.  Glock barrels are tough and can take the heat.

2) not so much of an issue anymore, but TG got an unfair rap for supposedly causing TMJd bullets like Speer or Berrys or Extreme to tumble.  Especially the 180s and 200s (I like 200s).  Yes - it sometimes happened.  But most of us have switched to coated now anyway, and I have not heard of tumbling issues.   Besides, if you have not noticed it by now (and you would notice it), it probably won't happen to you.   Just focus on your match.  Shoot slow but do everything else fast.  Your front sight is your speedometer.  Smooth = fast.

As for OAL: the stock Glock barrel has a cavernous throat; you won't get anywhere near the rifling with magazine-length ammo (up to 1.169").  I used to use 1.155" for my loads.  

Good luck & hope to see you at a match some day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Glock .40 cal barrels have been accused of making bulges at the base of the case due to less support in the factory chamber.  It's in an area where some dies don't iron the bulge out.

Most uspsa shooters scam the brass on the ground at matches to keep reloads cheap so if you pick up brass you'll be getting some bulged cases.  Most .40 shooters get a special die to iron out the bulges.  I use a Redding push-thru die on all my .40 brass as an extra step on a single stage before reloading on a progressive.
View Quote

I've got a Lee Bulge Buster for any swollen cases. I personally haven't run into the issue with my G22 though. And all rounds get a visual and tactile inspection when they come off the press.

Not really sure what the etiquette is on scamming brass at the local range. Brass is policed up after each individual run. Some shooters want it back, some do not. And I don't see anyone snatching someone else's brass.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good plan.  TG has proven to be a safe for Major 40 using published factory data.  I am on BE.com (was even "member of the month" once) and I've seen the critical posts on TG; largely the complaints are

1) it burns hot - and that's true.  It has the highest percent nitro of current double base propellants (37%) and after a 34 round USPSA field course, your Glock barrel will be hot to the touch - even hotter than other powders like N-320.  But, the heat is largely irrelevant.  Glock barrels are tough and can take the heat.

2) not so much of an issue anymore, but TG got an unfair rap for supposedly causing TMJd bullets like Speer or Berrys or Extreme to tumble.  Especially the 180s and 200s (I like 200s).  Yes - it sometimes happened.  But most of us have switched to coated now anyway, and I have not heard of tumbling issues.   Besides, if you have not noticed it by now (and you would notice it), it probably won't happen to you.   Just focus on your match.  Shoot slow but do everything else fast.  Your front sight is your speedometer.  Smooth = fast.

As for OAL: the stock Glock barrel has a cavernous throat; you won't get anywhere near the rifling with magazine-length ammo (up to 1.169").  I used to use 1.155" for my loads.  

Good luck & hope to see you at a match some day.
View Quote

Thanks for the reinforcement and the OAL info. TG has been good to me thus far. I always tend to land on a mid-range load, but I've never loaded for competition before. This will be a good test.

Kinda anxious to try some heavier bullets, different OAL's, and maybe some other powders.

So far I'm shooting slow, and doing everything else slow too. You never really know just how out of shape you are until that buzzer goes off for the first time and it's like you started in 3rd gear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I picked up a pound of that exact powder to try out at some point. If you can offer and load advice, that would be awesome.

And I have no delusions about being the next great champion or anything. Age-wise, I'm on the wrong side of 50. Bad feet, bad knees, bad back. And somewhat, shall we say portly?, in stature. I'm in it purely for fun.
View Quote

I finally made it back home with some time to look through my old reloading binder.

It was actaully Titegroup that I used.

For a minor load, it was 3.7 grains of Titegroup under a Berry's 180 round shoulder plated bullet.  OAL was 1.13".  The first 10 shot group with the infrared screens set up on the chrono averaged  777 fps with a 19 fps standard deviation.  So average power factor was 139.9.  Without the IR screens, average velocity was 781 fps with an SD of 8.  That makes for an average power factor of 140.6.

3.5 grains of Titegroup  got the APF down 135.8 .

For a major load, 4.5 to 4.6 grains of Titegroup got me an average 934 fps over 10 shots, so 168 PF.  That was a Berry's 180 grain flat point seated out to 1.135.

Both loads were shot out of a full size Beretta 96, so mag length was the determining factor there as far as deciding on an OAL.

This is data from 2007/2008 .

Thank goodness I kept  that 3 ring binder around of reloading "recipes".

EDIT:  I gave up on using Berry's plated bullets because they grouped so horribly bad at even 15 yards.  I went back and measured the bullets diameters...the ones still stowed away in their from the factory plastic boxes.  Some bullets would measure 0.399".  Some would read 0.400", and others still would be 0.401" .  I noticed it trying to shoot steel challenge.  I think the stage is called Pendulum where basically all the plates are abreast in a line at 18 yards.  I was wondering why I kept missing the 10" plates.  

EDIT #2:  in re-reading my post again I noticed I left off the one  in 781 fps .  My apologies for my earlier post steering you towards regular Clays.  I know I definitely used Clays for .45ACP.  I have a MEC 9000, so Clays also does double duty for a 12 gauge powder.

I will re-re-read my post again here in a few minutes and probably spot some more mistakes.  

As always, you should double check any reloading information against published reloading manual data or the reloading powder manufacturer's website.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've got a Lee Bulge Buster for any swollen cases. I personally haven't run into the issue with my G22 though. And all rounds get a visual and tactile inspection when they come off the press.

Not really sure what the etiquette is on scamming brass at the local range. Brass is policed up after each individual run. Some shooters want it back, some do not. And I don't see anyone snatching someone else's brass.
View Quote

With 9mm major, I get as many 9mm bulges cases as 40 S&W cases when reloading brass from the lost brass USPSA matches at I RO. They get culled when the press handle takes a little more effort than normal.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In my G35 I prefer:

180gr plated with 3.4gr TG
200gr lead with 3.2gr TG
View Quote

Does 3.4 make major? I use 4.5 with a 180 and find it very accurate and reliable in a g35, m&p 40, and Beretta 96.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Also I will add since we have moved to the tangent about Glock bulges for 40, I have owned and do own a Redding grx die as well as the Lee bulge buster. They work but are time consuming. I found the Lee U die (which they also produce for egw) to do the same exact thing but with no additional work.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Also I will add since we have moved to the tangent about Glock bulges for 40, I have owned and do own a Redding grx die as well as the Lee bulge buster. They work but are time consuming. I found the Lee U die (which they also produce for egw) to do the same exact thing but with no additional work.
View Quote

I have 3 dedicated toolheads...one for 9mm....one for .40S&W....and one for .45ACP .

They are all outfitted the same.  Station #1 in each toolhead is the Evolution Gun Works (EGW)/Lee Undersize Die.

The last station in each toolhead is the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Prior to using both dies, I used to case gage all my pistol ammo.  Now, at the start of a reloading session, I will case gage just the first 10 rounds that come off the press.

As a side note, I always make it point to take a WD-40 dampened Q tip...to swirl it up inside the dies and the outside "funnel" of the Dillon powder through die.  It gets A LOT of dirt out, and makes things run smoother in general.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I shoot 40 major in Single Stack.
I have played with 180 and 200 Xtreme over Titegroup, Bullseye, and 231. I finally settled on TG under a 200. I find it much more comfortable to shoot than lighter bullets and I keep mine at 170 power factor for USPSA.
If you want a really nice minor, TG and the 200 Xtreme (at 133 PF) shoots softer than my 9mm minor loads (at 128 PF).

I know the most popular powder used to be Clays before the plant burned down. Just don't compress it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Bullseye and WST work well for me.  I've loaded 180-200gr bullets with them with great success.  For bullets i stick with the coated lead bullets (BBI, blue bullets, etc...) for cost purposes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#33]
You need to make 170 PF here for major.  A 180 plated with 4.5 TG, 1.125 oal will give me 950 fps and 171 PF out of a G35.

That's cutting it a little close so I went to polymer coated 180's and picked up 20-30 fps with the same specs as above.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#34]
180gr precision,  blue, sns, or bayou coated

TG or WST

(loaded long for my STI)

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks for the links and info. Much appreciated. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

After 2 "Intro" nights, and one real match already, I think I'm really gonna enjoy this.

So heavy bullets and fast powder. Any advantage/disadvantage to bullet type? HP, HHP, RNFP, TC?
View Quote

Welcome to the sickness.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#37]
I run N320 with 200gr Blue Bullets in my RIA double stack .40 1911.

I use a Bulge Buster on all range/once fired brass I acquire -- if I know for sure the brass was previously fired in my gun, I don't bother. (Sames goes for 10mm in my Glock)
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Did a little experimenting last Sunday. I took a box of Berry's HHP 180gr/ 4.5gr Titegroup, 1.125 OAL and a box of RMR FMJ RNFP 180gr/ 4.6gr Titegroup, 1.135 OAL to the range.

The Berry's are what I've been shooting for the past few weeks. Although recoil was pretty nice, groups were pretty terrible at 10 yards.

The RMR FMJ's however, were pretty dead accurate. Recoils was not unpleasant, and was able to reacquire the target pretty quickly. Basically dumped 15rds into a ragged 2" hole firing about one shot per second.

Running that load in Monday nights match, I scored considerably better than previous weeks. The new Dawson FO front/ black rear sights may have helped some too.

Next thing to try will be some 200gr Blue Bullets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you for posting this data "Titegroup, 1.125 OAL and a box of RMR FMJ RNFP 180gr/ 4.6gr Titegroup, 1.135 OAL to the range. " I have one thousand RMR FMJ RNFP 180 grain projectiles and four pounds of Titegroup group waiting to join each other in unison.  I have been just to busy to work up a load.  Reviewing Hodgson load data online,  roughly speaking 4.7 grains is the maximum load suggestion.  Did you have any signs from the spent cases/primers of reaching maximum case pressures?  If not I'm about to order a few more thousand bullets from RMR. I plan on using these rounds in a Sig P226 Elite and a Glock 22.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If your loading 40 for MPF of 166, your pushing the working pressures too high with Clays powder.

In regards to Tite group, it will get you there with higher,hotter pressures, but burns dirty as hell.  Hence it may work for match day, but when you are burning 500 to 800 rounds a day in practice, plan on having to pull both the gun and the mags down for solvent cleanings at least once, if not twice to keep it/them running correctly for your practice day
View Quote

I never had that problem with titegroup even when I was shooting black bullets. Don't think I've ever solvent cleaned my mags and usually the gun only got a good wipe down and lube. Would bet I ran almost the whole season that way shooting uspsa, steel, and bowling pins.

STI Edge 40 major with 180 and 200 grain black bullets.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thank you for posting this data "Titegroup, 1.125 OAL and a box of RMR FMJ RNFP 180gr/ 4.6gr Titegroup, 1.135 OAL to the range. " I have one thousand RMR FMJ RNFP 180 grain projectiles and four pounds of Titegroup group waiting to join each other in unison.  I have been just to busy to work up a load.  Reviewing Hodgson load data online,  roughly speaking 4.7 grains is the maximum load suggestion.  Did you have any signs from the spent cases/primers of reaching maximum case pressures?  If not I'm about to order a few more thousand bullets from RMR. I plan on using these rounds in a Sig P226 Elite and a Glock 22.
View Quote

I used Hodgdons data and worked my load up to where it is now. I strongly urge you to do the same. I started playing with OAL after some reading and some suggestion here. Will probably play some more.

As far as pressure signs with this particular load in my particular gun, you can judge for yourself. These are a random sample of the cases that have been fired using this load:

Attachment Attached File

All fired out of a Gen3 Glock 22. Very manageable load. Comfortable to shoot. So I think once you get time to sit down and get a load together, you'll definitely find something that works for you. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm working up a load starting at 4.4 grains and stopping at 4.7 grains of Titegroup. Using the RMR bullets, I'm setting the COAL of 1.135. Those rounds fit both Glock and Sig magazines with out a problem,  as it should.  The primers in the picture above look good from what I can tell,especially since 4.6 grains is on the upper end of the max load according to Hogden. I'm excited to try this work up tomorrow.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I think you'll find something you like in that neighborhood. I shot another match with that load last Monday. The results were excellent. A real confidence booster. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Got out to the range to chrono today on account of changing bullets and having time to test for accuracy.

180 SNS @ 1.165, mixed brass, WSP primer, out of a 4.25" M&P with a Stormlake barrel.
These are just where I wound up, all loads were worked up from pathetically low/slow mostly in 0.2gr intervals. I suggest anyone reading work up from something lower.
I also tried Bullseye, but abandoned it before making PF, recoil was getting harsh well below. I know some use it, but it does not seem to have the same efficiency in 40 as it does in 9 & 45.

4.4gr Red Dot     Av 944fps SD 9
4.5gr Tite Group  Av 949fps SD12
4.6gr Am Select   Av 951fps SD12

Conveniently all had the same POI, zero indications of pressure issues, and put the majority of rounds in less than 4" at 20yds.
Recoil was pretty much a wash, but I feel Red Dot may have been just a bit more snappy. There was a significant breeze so can't speak to smoke, but shoot a lot of cast and have never found it a bother anyway. Didn't run enough of any make observations regarding powder fouling.

My next order will either be 200s or include a sample pack, I have run a few traditional cast and really liked the way they handled with TG.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Thats interesting about the Bullseye. I've run it in .38spl, .380, and 9mm with good results as far as recoil goes. Even have a load for .380 that my 74 year old mother shoots comfortably.

I guess .40 is just a strange animal.

My 200gr sample packs from Blue Bullets and Bayou Bullets just arrived yesterday. Gonna try to get some loaded up and out to the range tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I tested the initial loads and settled on 4.6 grains of Titegroup. Now its time to crank up production on the Dillon to make some practice ammunition. This recipe is a keeper.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thats interesting about the Bullseye. I've run it in .38spl, .380, and 9mm with good results as far as recoil goes. Even have a load for .380 that my 74 year old mother shoots comfortably.

I guess .40 is just a strange animal.

My 200gr sample packs from Blue Bullets and Bayou Bullets just arrived yesterday. Gonna try to get some loaded up and out to the range tomorrow.
View Quote

I was suprised and a little disappointed with the BE, it is my go to pistol powder. It seems like the other reports I read of it were in the 5gr range, which seems very high to me, but guessing from my chrono results is probably in the ballpark.

Lot of locals like the Blue 200s, they make them just down the road. Have been pretty happy with them in 9mm and 180gr varieties.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#48]
For those of you that like N320, try Prima V.  It runs just a hair slower than the VV N320, when shooting 9mm out of my CZ.

Bayou 135
3.5g N320

#FPS
Avg/Min/Max
983.7/962/1009

Bayou 135
3.5g PV
#..FPS
Avg/Min/Max
976.5/968/988
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top