Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2016 3:20:17 PM EDT
Posted this thread a few months ago:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/465465_.html&page=1

Details about gun, bullet, primers, etc are there.

I noted the K98 magazine was not long enough to feed the longer COAL rounds.

Per recommendations from thread, I seated the same bullets deeper. Last time, I seated them to crimp in the top grease groove. This time, I seated so the case could crimp to the top section of the driving band.  

I am using the non-GC version powder coated.

Since I seated a bit deeper, I kept to the low end of my original charges:

I only ran 4 of each charge but here are the results at 54deg 29.91 in Hg:

8.5gr 916 ft/s SD: 6.6
8.8gr 947.8 ft/s SD 11.6
9.1gr 953.2 ft/s SD 11.0
9.4gr 978.8 ft/s SD 10.6

All accuracy results were pretty good. Loads were super quiet.

I think I will stick near the low to mid end to keep away from supers.

Hope this data helps someone.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
What would the 50 yard groups look like with this load?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would the 50 yard groups look like with this load?
View Quote

I was testing at 75yd and more concerned about shooting chrono than how it grouped.

Still, I was getting 1.5"-2" groups on average but some much better (lots of clover patterns).

I suspect out to 100yds, it can run 2" or less if I do my part. I am quite pleased with setup. On a hot sweaty day, my groups open up a bit so I suspect next summer it will be worse.

Not sure if others have more expectations out of cast loads. I wont spend much more time finding the best node as I plan to load on progressive and wont measure each charge anyway.

Once I develop a load, I tend to test it standing on 6" and 10" steel targets at various distances. Good test of balance if I decide to take hunting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top